AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

Actually I am looking at weekly candles and still looking for a market pullback not just a stock pullback which is why on the weekly candles I see pretty good support at 3.25. If I didn't get that kind of a pullback I probably wouldn't get into it. But like I said, if I was already in and had good profits at the 3.25 level I also would not be to quick to get out of it unless the short term profits are so good that it would be foolish not to sell. That's a longer term view though Tiptop. If one is more short term then the daily candles certainly put the support levels higher.

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  2. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

After VRX, I sold my remaining AMD position at 4.48 ($3.54 average 26.5% gain:eek:)... Probably, I will sell some of my DUST prior to Yellen as it already jumped another 7%. After that, I am all set for Yellen to speak...

So far it has been a great week except for my EXPR position and SPXS which I bought to hedge my longs.

Another thanks to TTT. This one was even better than UVE

3. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

The 4.50 target has been hit and then some. Took profits on 1/2 my sell at 4.57...Think it might go higher for the 2nd half of my sell...Booyah

upload_2016-5-27_8-41-13.png

4. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

Currently $4.57, up 20% on my Jan 20 5.50 call.
    Thanks to TTT. :)

T0rm3nted and Tiptopptrader like this.
  5. Ciao (Sheppy)

Ciao (Sheppy) Well-Known Member

in my never right thoughts AMD could go to $5... given a BIT OF TIME OF COURSE (oops sorry Cap letters)
    how the master TT think about.... too many posts to read I am a slow reader :(:(

grazie mille (thanks);):D

6. Tiptopptrader

Prego Amico Mio , solo un umile commerciante di qui
    I will figure out the next target over the weekend and 5 could be in the near term after a few dips...Back to trading got to ready for the other half of the trade

Ciao (Sheppy) likes this.
  7. Ciao (Sheppy)

IMo if it hold 4.50, most likely they will (after few up-down) getting near $5 ......
    I wanted to get some yesterday then today but I am a bit nervous holding overnight when normally I hold for few minutes only ;):D

thanks any way

8. Tiptopptrader

Now the inter-day pullback on profit taking

upload_2016-5-27_11-13-12.png

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Good for AMD, its important for there to be competition for NVDA!

10. Tiptopptrader

That's a wrap, now I will be able to buy lunch ;)

upload_2016-5-27_12-59-18.png

FastEddy likes this.
  11. Ciao (Sheppy)

Lunch? :eek: you got more expensive taste then my wife ;):D:D
    have a nice w/e...enjoy it

12. Tiptopptrader

I was thinking about McDonald's :D

Ciao (Sheppy) likes this.
  13. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

At the rate you pick winners, you should probably increase your position sizing by 10000% ;)

14. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

I sold a part of my shares for $4.55 :D
    Tip, where do you see AMD going from here?

15. Tiptopptrader

Congrats on your profits, FastEddy

With the institutions buying hand over foot the interest is very strong (just ask the shorts). I would give a price target of at or near $5 leading up to the press conference on June 1st at 7pm PDT. It is important that the press conference give's out a stronger message than the expectations other wise there could be a sell on the news scenario. So far Lisa Su has delivered what was needed to move the price, let's see if she can continue with that magic touch.

Providing the above goes well then then I have to expand the chart back to 2010 to come up with a mid-term and long-term price target. I also compared this to actual closing prices and discounted the price spikes.

Keep in mind these numbers are based on continued growth, picking up market share, and contracts. Currently their new footprint in China and the VR market is in my focus moving forward.

Mid-Term - $6
    Long Term - $9.75

upload_2016-5-28_7-41-15.png

16. Tiptopptrader

Attached Files:

17. Tiptopptrader

AMD came out the gate strong this morning with a HOD and new 52 week high @4.71.
    AMD was already overbought, now a sell off on profit taking with support at 4.50...Current price 4.57

18. Clair

Clair Active Member

So glad I chose AMD as my biggest long. Managed to tripple my profits since late 2015. And the share price is still growing every day. I expect even more growth when ZEN's out.

19. Tiptopptrader

Tomorrow could be the big day for AMD with the press conference from Lisa Su. Looking at your post about VR you were negative about VR. This is one of the big features moving forward for AMD, with Playstion 4.5, and Xbox to name a few. Either way I think you made a good choice...TTT

20. Tiptopptrader

Lost 3 cents from overbought in a market like today, not bad. LIsa Su will have to deliver the goods during the webcast not to get sold off.

upload_2016-5-31_16-42-21.png

To listen to the live webcast at 10pm EST...You miust sign up

http://www.amd.com/en-us

AMD Prices 3-D Tech to Spur Virtual Reality Market
    Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is angling to lower the cost of virtual reality, targeting the field with a new line of graphics hardware priced at $199—half or less the cost of comparable products.

AMD said the first chips based on its new Polaris design are expected to arrive in graphics cards for personal computers at the end of June. The company aims to help push the starting cost of PCs that can deliver VR experiences as low as $799 from above $1,000.

Consumers also face the cost of the latest generation of VR headsets—$599 for the Oculus Rift from Facebook Inc.’s Oculus VR unit, for example, or $799 for HTC Corp.’s Vive.

But the need for a PC with an add-in card that includes a beefy 3-D graphics chip is another barrier that stands in the way of widespread adoption of VR. An online survey conducted in April by the Advanced Imaging Society found that 68% of respondents said VR equipment was too expensive.

“Less than 1% of PC users have systems that are capable of doing VR,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect of AMD’s Radeon technologies group. “The entry point is very, very high.”

AMD said its new Radeon RX cards, certified for use in VR by HTC and Oculus VR, deliver performance equivalent to that of $500 graphics cards used for VR.
    More: http://www.wsj.com/articles/amd-prices-3-d-cards-to-spur-virtual-reality-market-1464725394

leonx81 likes this.