DIS - The Walt Disney Company

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Walt Disney Company (DIS), commonly known as Disney, is an American diversified:1 multinational mass media and entertainment conglomerate headquartered at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California. It is the world's second largest media conglomerate in terms of revenue, after Comcast. Disney was founded on October 16, 1923, by Walt Disney and Roy O. Disney as the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio, and established itself as a leader in the American animation industry before diversifying into live-action film production, television, and theme parks. The company also operated under the names The Walt Disney Studio, then Walt Disney Productions. Taking on its current name in 1986, it expanded its existing operations and also started divisions focused upon theater, radio, music, publishing, and online media.

In addition, Disney has since created corporate divisions in order to market more mature content than is typically associated with its flagship family-oriented brands. The company is best known for the products of its film studio, The Walt Disney Studios, which is today one of the largest and best-known studios in American cinema. Disney also owns and operates the ABC broadcast television network; cable television networks such as Disney Channel, ESPN, A+E Networks, and ABC Family; publishing, merchandising, music, and theatre divisions; and owns and licenses 14 theme parks around the world. The company has been a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average since May 6, 1991. An early and well-known cartoon creation of the company, Mickey Mouse, is a primary symbol of The Walt Disney Company.

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/business/media/thomas-staggs-walt-disney-company.html?_r=0
    Surprise? Yeah I would say so. Like no one wants to stay there. Disney is facing pressure.

Their ESPN segment: Sports are losing their stranglehold on (American) society. Look at the decline in interest in March Madness this year; I know this is not directly owned by ESPN, but I think it is a signal. Once people realize they don't need to follow every game in March Madness then what is next? They are now realizing they can live without football for months, and their lives are fine. There's tons of other entertainment options. This is an on demand society.

Their Marvel/Star Wars segment: Don't assume you can pencil in $2B movies every summer for the next 10 years. Remember how pervasive Tower Records used to be? People learned they don't need to spend $20 on entertainment, once they found downloading in the late 90's, and streaming nowadays. Various parts of movie entertainment have disappeared as well already. Drive in movie theaters, Blockbuster Video...All that's left is the movie theater, and once that falls to Netflix's alternative (jeez, I don't need to waste time on parking and overspend on stale popcorn?) then where will movies play?

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Insist DevilsAdvocate here choose a shorter username, or at least go back to marcydarcy! lol

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

lol

back to Staggs leaving...what's up with the next leader of the largest media conglomerate just up and leaving? What's that say? He doesn't even have a plan of where he's going, he just wants to get out?

5. YLC

YLC Member

Is revenue from Stars Wars already considered in the current price? I've read that not all of the profits from Star Wars has been reported yet.

I'm also wondering if the opening of the new Shanghai Disney resort will produce additional profit and drive the stock price up.

As for movies, I'm not sure if streaming/Netflix will have that much of an overall impact to Disney's revenue, at least not for now...In the end, the primary target of children will keep revenues coming at the Disney Worlds around the world, sales of toys, etc...

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Universal launches 'Harry Potter' theme park

Thousands of fans flocked to the grand opening of "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" on Thursday. Hundreds lined up for hours in the dark, many wearing Hogwarts robes and wielding wands.

The crowds, selling out Universal Studios Hollywood at more than $100 a ticket, speak not just to the ongoing demand for "Harry Potter" years after the films have left theaters, but to the massive demand for immersive theme park experiences. And the detail of the town of Hogsmeade unveiled in Hollywood speaks to the competition to lure visitors with far more than just roller coasters, but the feel of being inside a movie.

"Potter" world caps off a major park makeover at Universal Studios Hollywood, a renovation that's spanned four years, and remade 75 percent of the park's footprint. Despite Universal raising park ticket prices by about 20 percent last month, "The Wizarding World" is projected to help boost attendance by 20 percent this year. That's the rise that Universal Orlando in Florida saw from its "Potter" attraction when it launched in 2010.

NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke has said the company underestimated the value of its theme park business. The investment in "Potter" attractions at both parks are an attempt to correct that, and the company is already seeing the results. The ongoing popularity of the two "Potter" areas at Universal Orlando helped drive a 27 percent increase in Universal's parks division last year.

Now "Wizarding World" will help Universal better compete with theme park juggernaut Disney (DIS). In 2014 Universal Studios Hollywood drew just 8 million guests, compared to Disneyland's 17 million and California Adventure's 9 million.

Universal is right on trend by going beyond roller coasters to build an immersive world: The fictional town of Hogsmead. In addition to the two rides — the wait for one was three hours immediately after the park opened—there's a magic wand show and a stage for costumed singers. And of course there's plenty of retail: Kiosks selling "Butterbeer" and shops selling the magic wands.

At $50 a pop these wands actually do something: Visitors can use them to "cast spells" on 11 storefront windows. (A park employee demonstrated to a kid how a certain flick of the wrist got an antique-looking chest to magically open up.)

Disney, which built the original theme parks decades ago, is also doubling down on immersive experiences. It has an "Avatar" land, called Pandora, set to launch next year. And two "Star Wars" lands, each 14 acres, are in the works for Disneyland in Anaheim, California, as well as Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World in Orlando.

And theme parks around the world are investing in bringing movies to life. Just last month a Dubai park announced it's building 27 rides based on movies from three studios, DreamWorks Animation, Sony and Lionsgate. Straightforward roller coasters aren't enough to lure consumers to often spend more than $100 on a one-day ticket. In this era of Instagram and Snapchat, consumers want to share pictures of being transported into another world.

Link - http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/universal-launches-harry-potter-theme-park/ar-BBruspS

7. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

I guess one day I will have to eventually visit one of these parks. For too long have I evaded it :)

8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

If DIS can get through $100 it looks to be clear sailing up to $120. All it needs is an announcement that the current CEO is staying longer in my opinion, and I think it will head up to $120. Would thing about buying in it if holds above $100 in the near future, maybe at 102-103 range.

9. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

I'd actually considered buying it now while it took a dip due to news and emotions. Few weeks later you'd be happy you did it, after either a new and no-doubt competent CEO is announced, or (and it's quite possible) a current stays for longer until they find a replacement.

10. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

DIS looking like a nice break out here today!

11. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like I should have listened to myself then @Zaysev and got in last week in the 98's.

12. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Harry Potter theme park? *heavy breathing* I'm so ready...

T0rm3nted likes this.
  13. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

Well, the way I see it a trader should always make his decisions based on his own vision and analysis, not simply based on an advise of a person you know nothing about :) Everyone has his own opinion, and frequently it is not based on a careful calculation.

14. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I know what you're saying. We both said it was going up past $100 though, just weren't sure when. We'll see if it holds above $100 today.

15. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Closed at $104.57 today and the 200MA is $104.58. Tomorrow could be the day it breaks through and shoots up. We'll have to see if it can get through the 200MA first.

16. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

Well, so far it demonstrates a nice probability of such. Though SO and MACD indicate the stock is a bit overbought, this might hinder the rise a little.

17. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Hoping for a close above the 200MA today. I'm in since last week at $104.14, hoping for a strong opening weekend for Civil War and another solid earnings report on Monday.

18. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

Sadly it didn't happen. But I'm pretty sure it will rally on ER. I mean, what kind of bad news should it be to not send prices surging?

19. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Closed 3 days in a row above the 200MA heading into earnings after hours on Tuesday. No clear resistance until the double top at $120, so with a real strong earnings report, I could see it heading up to $120.

20. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

Well, we all froze in anticipation :) $120 will be a really nice point, hope you turn out to be right on this forecast.