GPRO - GoPro

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GoPro, Inc. (GPRO) (formerly Woodman Labs, Inc) is an American manufacturer of action cameras, often used in extreme-action videography and part of the connected sport movement.

GoPro dominates the action camera market as of 2016, but is seeing competition from the likes of Garmin (GRMN), Polaroid, Panasonic, Nikon, and Sony (SNE). Other companies such as Taser (TASR) and Digital Ally (DGLY) are targeting the adjacent market of wearable cameras for police and security officers.

#1 Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2016
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

19% gain by GPRO today!

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Opposite movement today, stock down 4%

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Cant seem to find news, is this just profit taking?

[​IMG]

6. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

Goldman Is Bearish On GoPro Heading Into Earnings
    5:44 pm ET April 13, 2016 (Benzinga) Print

GoPro Inc (NASDAQ: GPRO) saw a huge 19 percent surge in its stock price on Wednesday. Some traders attributed the move to positive comments out of Cleveland Research, while others touted the company's hiring of Danny Coster as VP of Design.

However, one firm is bearish on the action-camera maker.

In a note out Wednesday morning, Goldman Sachs laid out its risks for the company heading into its latest earnings report.

"Lack of new products and reduced product SKUs pose risks to estimates," the note said. "[D]rone launch at a critical stage – We see downside to 1Q revenues driven by muted end demand, a lack of new products, and price erosion."

Related Link: GoPro Investors Win From Morgan Stanley's Ambarella Upgrade

The firm models revenues at $163 million, which is at the low of end of the company's $160-$180 million guidance and 3 percent below the Street's $169 million estimate.

"We expect a loss of ($0.63) vs. the Street at ($0.59) on lower gross margins and higher opex," Goldman continued. "We see a modest contribution from the drone launch toward end 2Q, but we think any delay would adversely impact the stock and represent a headwind to our current estimates."

Goldman Sachs' four biggest risks: Product execution, competition, commoditization and content monetization.

The firm holds a Neutral rating and $11 price target on the stock.

Shares closed Wednesday at $13.90, up 19 percent on the day.

Latest Ratings for GPRO DateFirmActionFromTo

Feb 2016Dougherty & CompanyDowngradesBuyNeutral Feb 2016Sterne Agee CRTDowngradesBuyNeutral Feb 2016Morgan StanleyMaintainsUnderweight

7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Ah, so Goldman causing the drop here.

$11 target, probably one of the rare occasions I completely agree with Goldman!

8. Gray Wolf

Me to. I took the surge yesterday as an opportunity to get out of GPRO with minimal loss. Their earnings are simply headed in the wrong direction and went from decent EPS to negative EPS very quickly and next year is projected to stay in negative EPS. I still believe GPRO will make a comeback but confidence in that comeback within the next 6 to 12 months is gone.

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Nicely done!

10. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

I've gotten out of it when it was at about 13$ and thought I was lucky. Oh well...

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

I remember seeing the poor souls buying it at $90, saying how this momentum was going to take it to $150.

It obviously never happened.

How this stock got so high in the first place is beyond me.

The IPO underwriters did a great job!

12. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

This may be a pure speculative play but quite often the rull "...buy the breakouts..." works well.
    In this case if we have a break, consistent break, above 14$ level I will surely be a buyer.

gpro.png

13. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Oh no... I hope they're ok after that.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  14. Gray Wolf

You could probably be successful with some short term swing trades if the technical support it and pick up a couple of bucks on an upswing but this is still a long term play for any appreciable gain IMHO. They were up after IPO because they had earnings to support it but once the bottom fell out and analysts realized the Hero4 was a bust it was pain time. Problem is they are not diversified in products. I think they are working on things that will keep them in the game long term. They are working on the drone aspect, virtual reality (has promise) and trying to develop a media presence. But with negative earnings projected over the next year I do not see this one "taking off" unless someone swoops in and takes them over. From what I understand of their CEO it would have to be a hostile takeover as he has a pretty good sized ego that will likely push to reject acquisition offers. Again, IMHO... :D

T0rm3nted and StockJock-e like this.
  15. Gray Wolf

16. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

nice chart Rg

17. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

Thanks Oldie ;)! After reading what you and Jerry wrote took another look at that chart: last Friday we had false breakout since price pulled back again bellow 14 level, that is the critical "line is the sand" to watch over; some sort os ascending triangle is forming, at least it seems that way. So, it's plausible that price may retrace a bit further to 12.00-12.20, ideal place to grab some, with low risk.

Some may do the following: half lot at that trendline (assuming she'll become support), other half lot after 14 breakout. Values that show this trade no longer valid, in this case, easy to find.

OldFart likes this.
  18. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

GoPro's Woodman, Formerly Best Paid CEO, Got $805,217 in '15
    Nick Woodman, the founder of GoPro Inc., made $805,217 last year, a sharp decline from the $287.2 million he was awarded in 2014.

Read full article here: http://bloom.bg/1r5lRYL

Gray Wolf likes this.
  19. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

I wouldn't mind 800k tbh

20. fidelgeorge

fidelgeorge Well-Known Member

Last day to place your ER bets. All indications (sentiment down to only 66% bullish) are for horrendous a loss which is not baked in.