Hello Ello ello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Craig1066, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Craig1066

Craig1066 New Member

Hi my name is Craig I'm new to stockaholics. Hope everyone is doing well and maybe chat with someone you real soon.

2. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Hi Craig and welcome to the board. Maybe you can tell us a little bit about your self and what kind of trader you are,..Swing/Day/Long or what ever.

TTT

Craig1066 likes this.
  3. Craig1066

Craig1066 New Member

Hi I am new to trading and am not sure of the technical terms as yet. But from the research I have been doing I think day trader would be the way forward for me.

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  4. Tiptopptrader

Here is a list of stock abbreviations and slang's that might help you out. I have highlighted some that are more commonly used.

AF - Audited Financials

AH - After Hours

ATH - All time high

AM - After Market

AON - All Or None. If you want to buy or sell a certain amount of shares in one block, you enter a AON order.

AS or A/S - Authorized Shares: The shares the company is authorized to sell or to issue to employees, officers, or to vendors for goods and services.

Ax - One market maker that seems to control the supply/demand of a security or stock. Plural is the axes.

BD - Broker Dealer, about 2000 in US

BDC - Business Development Company. A publicly traded closed end investment company. Stock issued by a BDC is exempt from registration under the Securties and Exchange Act. The stock can be immediately sold into the market. The amount is limited to $5,000,000 per year.

BK - Bankruptcy

BOD - Board Of Directors

CEDE - Name for Depository Trust Clearing Company (DTCC), a large clearing house that holds shares in its name for banks, brokers and institutions in order to expedite the sale and transfer of stock..

CC - Conference Call

COB - Close Of Business

DD - Due Diligence: The act of investigating a company.(Accurate DD is next to impossible with Pink Sheet companies.)

DIVY or Divi - Dividend: Could be paid in cash, or in additional shares to a stockholder. Would not be considered a stock split.

DTCC - Depository Trust Clearing Corporation. Central back office for all stock trades in the US.

EBITDA - Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation And Amortization.

ECN - ECN is electronic communications network, it's essentially a fully electronic market maker.

EOD - End Of Day. The end of trading activity for the day.

EOM - End of Message/Month

EOW - End Of Week

EPS - Earnings Per Share.

EULA - End User License Agreement

F - Float. The shares that are in public hands, and freely trading. IOW, restricted shares and shares closely held by insiders are not considered to be in the float.

FA - Fundamental Analysis. The facts and figures of a company.

FS or F/S - Forward Split: If a stock forward splits 1 to 2 you will have twice as many shares, but the SP (Share Price) will be cut in half.

FTD - Failure To Deliver (more info in center section)

FUD - Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

GTC - Good Til Canceled - You put in a GTC order if you want it to stay on the books until it's executed.

HAM - Hard As a Mutherf*cker...as in, "I want a HAM run to $600 for AAPL"

HOD - High Of Day: The highest price the stock traded that day.

IR - Investor Relations

IRP - Investor Relations Professional

LOI - Letter Of Intent

L2 - Level 2 - An essential tool that any serious trader requires. Gives a clear picture of the bid/ask and demand/supply.

IHM - In-Case I Haven't Mentioned

IMO - In My Opinion.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid.

MOASS - Mother Of All Short Squeezes. Something that never happens in penny stocks, but is talked about a lot.

MOMO - Momentum trading.

MM - Market Maker, An Entity Required To Facilitate The Buy And Sell In The Markets.

MMJ - Medical Marijuana

NAO - North American Operations.

NOBO - Non-Objecting Beneficial Owner - A beneficial owner who gives permission to a financial intermediary to release the owner's name and address to the company(ies) or issuer(s) in which they have bought securities. You will probably see it referred to as a NOBO List.

NSS - Naked Short Shares Or Naked Short Selling. Almost never happens in penny stocks, but is talked about a lot.

OB/OS - Overbought / Oversold

OS or O/S - Outstanding Shares. Shares the company has sold or issued to officers, employees or vendors.

OT - Off Topic. Off topic posts should never be posted on Ihub's stcck boards, even in they are marked as OT.

OTC - Over The Counter (Non-Reporting, a.k.a. Pink Sheets)

OTCBB - Over The Counter Bulletin Board (Sec Reporting).

PE or P/E - Price to Earnings Ratio. Something you almost never have to worry about with penny stocks, because most never earn anything.

PIPE - Private Investment In Public Equity. A private investment firm's, mutual fund's, or other qualified investor's purchase of stock in a company at a discount to the current market value per share for the purpose of raising capital. Popular due to the relative efficiency in time and costs and fewer regulatory issues.

PL - Pinksheet Listed or Pink - Limited Information

PM - Pre-Market, or Private Message

PK - Pink Sheet stock

POG - Price of Gold

POR - Plan Of Reorganization

POS - Piece of Sh*t Note: Some moderators might remove this as vulgarity. You'll soon learn which boards you can use it on and which ones you can't.

PP - Private placement. Large blocks of stock may be crossed off the open market.

PPM - Private placement memorandum. Any type of offering of securities to any number of private accredited investors. It lays out all the details of an imvestment.

PPS - Price Per Share

PS - Pink Sheet, or Per Share

PSAR - Parabolic Stop and Reverse (more info with link in the center section)

PUI - Posting Under the Influence of alcohol or drugs.

ROI - Return on investment.

R/M - Reverse Merger - It's almost always accompanied by a Reverse Split (R/S)

RS or R/S - Reverse Split: If a stock Reverse Splits, say 2 to 1, technically you will have half the amount of shares, but each share will be worth twice as much. Frequently in the case of penny stocks though, the stock will open way lower than it should after a R/S.(Could also mean Restricted Shares)

SOR - Shareholder Of Record

SOP - Standard operating procedure.

SP - Share Price

SS - Short Selling or Shares Short

ST - Could mean Short Term, or Shares Traded. You will have to decide what you think it means or ask the author.

STO - Stochastic- Definition in the middle section

SW - Stock Warrants are rights to buy shares at a certain price until a certain date. They some time carry a longer time frame, five or more years.

TA or T/A - Transfer Agent Or Technical Analysis. Technical analysis refers to chart reading to see the past trading pattern of a stock and attempt to guess where it's going in the future. Kind of like trying to read a crystal ball, especially with penny stocks.

TBD - To Be Determined

TDA - Time Deposit Account or Tax Deferred Annuity

TMD - The Morning Dip

UT - Uptick

UTING - Upticking

VC - Venture Capital. A type of private equity capital typically provided to immature, high- potential, growth companies in the interest of generating a return, usually cash for shares.

VWAP - Volume Weighted Average Price - A trading benchmark used especially in pension plans. VWAP is calculated by adding up the dollars traded for every transaction (price multiplied by number of shares traded) and then dividing by the total shares traded for the day. The theory is that if the price of a buy trade is lower than the VWAP, it is a good trade. The opposite is true if the price is higher than the VWAP.

Craig1066, T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  5. Craig1066

Craig1066 New Member

Wow and thank you for taking the time to help me much appreciated.

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  6. Craig1066

Craig1066 New Member

How long have you been trading and what is your trading style?

7. Tiptopptrader

Quite a while. My first trade was from the rice paddies of Vietnam in a letter home to my mom. My pick was from Stars and Stripes as I noticed there was always high volume on this 2 dollar Gold mining stock. We'll call it beginners luck as the stock was $20 by the time I got home.

I started trading actively when the brokers went online. Been through the dot.com days and I was real active in 2009 when I moved my 401K to an online broker. The markets had just come off the bottom and it was like taking candy from a baby.

What kind of a trader am I? I am basically a swing trader but I hold a number of longs. When I buy a long I mentally set aside profits to be taken down the road and not interfere with my core investment like I did with BAC and others.

You can find out more of how I trade by visiting my picks thread
    http://stockaholics.net/threads/tiptops-top-picks.122/#post-40411

8. Craig1066

Craig1066 New Member

I will take a look thank you.