Hello, stockaholics. Newbie here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Allen Gabriel, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Allen Gabriel

Allen Gabriel New Member

Hello y'all. My name's Allen, I'm a senior in college studying biology who's trying to get his head wrapped around the beast that is the Market. I wanted to get started investing so I held a part-time job 'til I had a few grand, which I then invested in Bitcoin because it was a financial instrument/technology I was psyched about.

Now I'm looking to get into daytrading small to mid-cap stocks, as well as the options market, which I understand very little of at the moment.

I'm currently reading a couple books on Forex trading, as well as a fascinating book on a form of technical analysis, How to Make Money Trading the Ichimoku System. I've setup a paper options account at CBOE and I'm taking their free courses.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone; I've already picked up a few tips just skimming recent posts and I look forward to learning from all of you in the future and sharing anything I pick up along the way.

If you have any advice/reading material to share or just want to say hello please do!

Tiptopptrader and StockJock-e like this.
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums Allen! You came to the right place. Hope to see you around

3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

This link takes you to an article that describes the most common strategies used in stock investing. http://www.investopedia.com/university/stockpicking/ There are 11 chapters in that article. The strategy you end up selecting will be custom to you. Your time objective and risk appetite will help dictate the type of trader you are. Also note, many investors utilize multiple strategies. For example, I use long term income strategy for 1/2 of my portfolio and then a mix of value and growth trades in the other half. The important thing is that you establish a list of rules to use for each strategy that dictates what to buy, when to buy it and when to sell it. Do that ahead of time and follow the rules you establish. Another side note. Without focusing 100 percent on one sector, you should play to your strength. Health care overall but you may make more sense of bio-tech and pharmaceutical with a biology background. In bio tech you can probably read phase one and 2 test results and understand them more than say ME :D Good luck

4. Allen Gabriel

Allen Gabriel New Member

Jerry, those are great ideas RE: biotech; thank you. So, as far as I understand, there are groups of traders that mainly monitor Phase 1 & 2 trials and buy up the (penny) stock of the biopharm releasing those meds? And then just immediately sell off when the price peaks from that news item?

5. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard @Allen Gabriel and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

TTT

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Those things can make a small fortune, but they've broken many accounts. If you want to get in them, first watch a few and see how the action is. I seem to have lost my website links, but I still have this one: http://biopharmcatalyst.com/calendars/fda-calendar

7. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

Yes, but my main point is to trade in companies that you know. If biotech, pham and other health care companies are in your field of expertise then you can evaluate those companies with an insight that maybe other's do not have. Example, I am a tech guy. I've worked many years in the computer systems analyst field and am quite familiar with a lot of tech companies and a little with financial services companies as that was the type of company I worked tech in so I understand those companies more then say your expertise in health care. So I tend to trade within those areas I am more comfortable in.

Allen Gabriel likes this.