JCP - J. C. Penney Company, Inc.

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by internationalstocks, May 3, 2016.

1. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

The J. C. Penney Company (doing business as JCPenney, JCP, and formerly as Penney's) is a chain of American mid-range department stores based in Plano, Texas.

The company operates 1,060 department stores in 49 U.S. states (JCPenney once operated in Hawaii) and Puerto Rico, and previously operated a catalog business and several discount outlets. In addition to selling conventional merchandise, JCPenney stores often house several leased departments such as Sephora, Seattle's Best Coffee, salons, optical centers, portrait studios, and jewelry repair.

Most JCPenney stores are located in suburban shopping malls. Before 1966, most of its stores were located in downtown areas. As shopping malls became more popular during the latter half of the 20th century, JCPenney followed the trend by relocating and developing stores to anchor the malls. In more recent years, the chain has continued to follow consumer traffic, echoing the retailing trend of opening some freestanding stores, including some next door to competitors. Certain stores are located in power centers. The company has been an Internet retailer since 1998. It has streamlined its catalog and distribution while undergoing renovation improvements at store level.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    The J. C. Penney Company (doing business as JCPenney, JCP, and formerly as Penney's) is a chain of American mid-range department stores based in Plano, Texas.

The company operates 1,060 department stores in 49 U.S. states (JCPenney once operated in Hawaii) and Puerto Rico, and previously operated a catalog business and several discount outlets. In addition to selling conventional merchandise, JCPenney stores often house several leased departments such as Sephora, Seattle's Best Coffee, salons, optical centers, portrait studios, and jewelry repair.

Most JCPenney stores are located in suburban shopping malls. Before 1966, most of its stores were located in downtown areas. As shopping malls became more popular during the latter half of the 20th century, JCPenney followed the trend by relocating and developing stores to anchor the malls. In more recent years, the chain has continued to follow consumer traffic, echoing the retailing trend of opening some freestanding stores, including some next door to competitors. Certain stores are located in power centers. The company has been an Internet retailer since 1998. It has streamlined its catalog and distribution while undergoing renovation improvements at store level.

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Really JCP?

I will go long here when my wife tells me she actually bought something from that store.

They have been outmanuvoured by smaller more hip companies.

Its not cool to shop at JCP, thats the image problem they have.

4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems like most of the people who used to shop at JCP now shop at Kohls

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Retail continuing to get slammed, today its Kohls!

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Reported before open today (5/13/16)
    Earnings: EPS -$0.32 Revenue $2.81B
    Estimates: EPS -$0.38 Revenue $2.82B

Down 8.97% pre-market

7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Today its JCP's turn to get smacked

8. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

Bought some JCP calls on 7/11

JCP AUG 19 2016 9.00 C BOUGHT TO OPEN 8 CONTRACTS OF OPTION JCP AUG 19 2016 9.00 C AT $0.48

#8 AverageJoesTrades, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Breaking out here in extended hours!

10. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

JCPenney Beats, Adding To Retail Stock Relief Rally
    JCPenney (JCP) reported better-than-expected second-quarter earnings, providing further evidence that consumer spending isn't as bad as investors had feared.

The department store reported a 5 cent per-share loss minus one-time items, narrowing from a 41 cent loss in the same quarter a year earlier, as JCPenney pushed ahead with a reorganization. Analysts expected a 15 cent loss. Revenue grew 1.4% to $2.92 billion, a bit below consensus for $2.93 billion. Comparable-store sales increased 2.2%.
    http://www.investors.com/news/j-c-penney-beats-adding-to-relief-rally-in-battered-retail-sector/

upload_2016-8-13_8-44-56.png

11. AverageJoesTrades

about to sell those Aug 19th calls ~350% profit on these. Wish I would've put more powder into these.

12. PJCM3

PJCM3 Member

Anyone still watching this? 4.38% today, not bad

13. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

lowest level since july 6th here

14. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Here's Why J.C. Penney Shares Are Plunging
    http://fortune.com/2016/11/11/jc-penney-shopping-stores/

Ahead of the key holiday shopping season

Shares of J.C. Penney JCP -1.91% took a beating Friday after the department store chain reported an unexpected sales decline and slashed it full-year sales forecast, raising new concerns about the viability of its turnaround.

The retailer said comparable sales fell 0.8%, while Wall Street was expecting them to rise 2.7% according to Consensus Metrix. What’s more, J.C. Penney now expects them to only be up between 1% and 2% for the fiscal year ending in January, which is way down from the 3% to 4% range it had previously given, suggesting softer expectations for the key holiday season that has just begun.

Penney shares dropped 9% in premarket trading.

15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Selling off in sympathy with Macy's, lowest levels since the summer

16. JaysonW

JaysonW Member

Ok, I bought some JCP at $7.95 (and M at $30.75). I'm probably a sucker on these trades, but both look oversold.

17. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Brick and Mortar playing second fiddle to online sales

18. JaysonW

JaysonW Member

Yes, but I still believe that brick & mortar clothing stores will hold their own against online shoppers. I, for one, won't buy clothes online unless I'm 100% certain of the fit - which is rare. (I think Sears is sunk though; their stores look just as they did in the 80s when I was growing up)

19. AnthonyJackson

AnthonyJackson New Member

Brick and mortar retail stocks may have reached a significant bottom. Names like J C Penney Company Inc (NYSE:JCP) & Macy's Inc (NYSE:M) are down over 30% in the last month. Just in the last two days, there has been significant institutional and pro investor accumulation in these names. J C Penny formed a bullish bottoming tail, Macy's tagged a significant support level and is trading higher today. Just based on pure technical analysis, a retrace should occur that gives investors' buying these names a 10% bounce. These stocks are being priced like they are going bankrupt, they are not. There is value in these names and I am a buyer at these levels for a near-term strong bounce.

[​IMG]

20. AverageJoesTrades

Personally I've found that trying to call tops/bottoms is an effort in futility. As others have stated B&M stores are getting crushed by the likes of Amazon. Everyone is buying everything online because they don't want to deal with driving/parking/checkout lines/pushy sales people. IMHO

Value543 likes this.