M - Macy's, Inc.

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by T0rm3nted, May 11, 2016.

1. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Macy's (M), originally R. H. Macy & Co. (stylized as macy's), is a mid-range chain of department stores owned by American corporation Macy's, Inc. It is one of two divisions owned by the company, with the other being Bloomingdale's. As of January 2014, the Macy's division operates 789 department store locations in the continental United States, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Guam, including the prominent Herald Square flagship location in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.

Macy's is known for its niche in popular culture and the diversity of its merchandise. Competitors include Belk, Bon-Ton, Dillard's, Kohl's, JCPenney, Boscov's and Sears. Macy's has conducted the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City since 1924 and has sponsored the city's annual Fourth of July fireworks display since 1976. Macy's advertises its flagship store on Herald Square as the largest store in the world, even after the record was actually broken in 2009 by the largest store of Shinsegae located in Busan, South Korea. Its flagship store covers almost an entire New York City block, features about 1.1 million square feet of retail space, includes additional space for offices and storage, and serves as the endpoint for Macy’s annual Thanksgiving Day parade. It is estimated that the value of Herald Square is under $3 billion to more than $4 billion.

As of 2015, Macy's is the largest U.S. department store company by retail sales and is the 15th-largest retailer in the United States in 2014 in terms of revenue.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Reported before open today (5/11/16)
    Earnings: EPS $0.40 Revenue $5.77B
    Estimates: EPS $0.36 Revenue $5.93B

Down 14.71% so far today

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Retail really taking it on the nose today.

4. Brendan Cowie

Brendan Cowie Active Member

Got 10 July calls on this today

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Good close for the week

6. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

7. bigbull

bigbull Active Member

If the stock can fill the gap between $37 - $38, its worth selling some downside puts.
    Buying calls at this point is aimless. Most of the upside move has already been captured.
    The flag portion of the daily 'bullish flag' is likely yield bupkis in the next few days.

At this stage in the cycle, funds are mostly sellers of puts as they position themselves for the next move. With a 4% dividend yield, selling downside puts is not only the safest, but the least challenging trade to put on the board. You collect something while the market churns, and if there is broader weakness, you get to own the stock at a level you feel comfortable with.

8. bigbull

bigbull Active Member

The stock needs to hold $34.50 - $35 to support a break above the previous trading range, otherwise its back down to $30 - $34.

The move to on-line pay will play into M hands, but I suspect this is more of a 2018 (not even 2017) story.

The dividend pays you to be patient. If M scarps its dividend, I would second guess my position in M.
    It is the only sweetener the company offers investors.

9. bigbull

bigbull Active Member

Working off a pattern of daily 'lower highs' and 'lower lows' in near perfect symmetry.

The first cluster -- identified as A, B and C -- shares some of the same characteristics as the second cluster -- identified as bold A, B and C.

After a 35%+ decline from the end point of the previous cycle high -- (A and bold A), there was a rise in price that lasted 4 months in each cycle. This led to the formation of a 'lower high'. From there, the stock tiptoed into correction territory posting a 9.4% and 14.64% correction off the highs -- (B and bold B) before contesting the rising TL from each cycle low. In the previous cluster, a break of the trend led to a 27% move lower (C). Based solely on market symmetry, if M break below $35 then a 40% - 45% decline is in the offing (what would be bold C).

This would only be eliminated if the descending TL to a broader descending wedge gets taken out to th upside at $37.70 before the end of October. From there $37.70 needs to hold to serve as a lunching pad for higher prices.

Attached Files:

10. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Macy's earnings: 17 cents per share, vs expected EPS of 41 cents

Macy's on Thursday reported sales and earnings that fell short of analysts' expectations, though it reaffirmed its earnings-per-share guidance, and raised its sales outlook for the full year.

Macy's said that it earned 17 cents a share, adjusted, in the fiscal third quarter, on revenue of $5.626 billion.

Wall Street had expected Macy's to report earnings of 41 cents per share, compared with 56 cents a share in the prior-year period, according to a consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Saw the news yesterday, they are shutting down some stores in my area too.

Too bad, they were a really good brand, but my Mom doesnt even shop there anymore, and thats a sign of trouble! :D

12. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Macy's stock plummets among massive retail selloff

upload_2017-1-5_8-21-27.png

13. AnthonyJackson

AnthonyJackson New Member

The entire brick and mortar retail sector has been slammed. Apparently, everyone is doing all their shopping online. I am being a little sarcastic here but that is what you would think when looking at a stock chart like that of Macy's Inc (NYSE:M). Whatever your view of the long term success/failure of retail brick and mortar companies may be, there is a near-term bounce opportunity on shares of Macy's Inc. The stock has hit a major double bottom after falling from $45.50. This is a 33% decline in less than 2 months. The double bottom will likely give the stock a technical bounce, maybe as high as $35. It is worth a look for aggressive swing traders.

[​IMG]

14. JaysonW

JaysonW Member

I went in heavy on Macy's a few days ago averaging in at $30.60. Your target @ $35 would be just fine with me. (I'm taking a beating on JCP - bought too early just under $8. Bought again at $7.05)

15. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

If one believed in Macy's, this would be a good place to enter. I don't think the company has very long left, as it seems like only the "older" generation actually shops there any more. They're closing stores, and the younger generation will not be shopping there regularly. Long-term this is a bad investment IMO. With that being said, if you do believe in the company, this is a critical support level, the stock is oversold, and it's sitting at the lower BB, so it could see a bounce here if the market helps out.

upload_2017-1-12_6-16-28.png

16. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

Please do not go Longterm Macy's lol

T0rm3nted likes this.
  17. JaysonW

JaysonW Member

I'm still long, but not long-term. :)

18. JaysonW

JaysonW Member

Don't look now, but M is above $30!

19. Gambit

Gambit Active Member

Macy's sells chocolate business to Garrett Brands
    Macy's Inc. M, -2.71% said Monday that it has entered into an agreement with Garrett Brands to sell its Frango premium chocolate business.

20. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

I could see the argument that this is oversold short-term, but I would not want my money here when Trump starts focusing on trade.