Stock Market Today: August 29th - September 2nd

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

ding ding ding!

whelp, it has certainly been a week!

hope you all have a wonderful long labor day holiday weekend ahead! reminder: the markets are closed on monday! and thx to all of you who post to these weekly threads every week!

go out and enjoy this last unofficial week of the summer! damn, this summer has gone by way too fast!!

and get that grill ready for monday!

catch you guys next week!

2. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

this big storm got me good, knocked my power out for most of the trading session, power just came back :(

3. Ken34

TWLO what a strong ass close....wow.

as strongly as peter from shadowtrader believes in amazon and baba is the same way i feel about TWLO, my gosh this thing only makes me more money.

Stockaholic likes this.
  4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Do we need an interest rate hike? It's only 0.25%. We've been ZIRP for the better part of a decade, and only gotten better! :p
    No other country is raising rates, or even ready to raise rates.

If we raise rates, then what if money comes pouring into the US, which is already operating near maximum capacity? We have the least potential to maximize that inflow.
    I think we want to maximize the world economy, so want to stop too much money from coming to the US when it could be going to emerging markets.

5. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

That is a tough subject/debate. If interest rates are raised it is a sign the economy at the least stable.Before the crash of 08 rates were up and all was well.

I might be a little bias on wanting a rate hike as I have 3 stocks that are going to move up accordingly in BAC, VLY, and UVE

6. Ken34

the thing is we cant keep looking to the past to compare for where rates should be, the fact is growth is slow right now, this has been the slowest recovery out of a recession ever, would it make sense to have rates as high as they were before when growth is slower?

i actually like the data dependent "theme" of the fed, cause if they just went and raised on a timed basis, we would end up in 2008 all over again. but my only problem is we dont know exactly what data points they are looking at, nor what type of rolling goals for each data point for them to hike along with, it feels like they are ad libing this, and that is not cool.

7. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Yeah they keep moving the goalposts. Remember when the unemployment number was the data point of interest? Now it's the inflation rate. Wonder what will be next...

And one Fed banker will give a fuzzy outlook at the press conference, then another goes on TV and says be ready for 2 hikes in 3 months.

They have engaged in gutless shenanigans.

Ken34 likes this.