Stock Market Today: August 8th - 12th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Aug 5, 2016.

1. pftq

pftq Member

2. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

Wait ..... capitulation? Today? Or was this some kind of intraday signal?

3. pftq

pftq Member

Over the course of the last few months. On the chart - the red "BOT" signal is where the system determines we've got enough volume churn that it should be a bottom for the next few months or so. Then today we see the confirmation and squeeze so to speak.

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Look at FOSL go.

edit 50 minutes later: Was +10%. Now look at it come back in AH lol. Let's see what it does tomorrow.

#64 anotherdevilsadvocate, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  5. pftq

pftq Member

YELP as well - it's funny these guys barely beat

6. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

Today's Market Thoughts

7. Rock Sexton

I definitely saw the same long term signals. Had to wait for earnings though to confirm - that's why I jumped in no hesitation this morning in pre-market.

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

The internet stocks really did well, e.g. GRUB, GRPN and there's others.

9. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

VRX can be nerve wracking and for weeks every rally was sold off on the same day. I bought back some prior to drug approvals 2 weeks ago and added more this morning. But, I couldnt resist taking profits for half of my position around $27. I still dont regret it, as the last time it hit $29-30 I thought it was going higher (BK risk was finally "gone"), didnt sell when I had gains close to +20% and I ended up losing all that profit.

If you really think this is not going BK, it is still a strong buy as it is only priced at 3.6 forward P/E. I believe debt restructuring is very likely since that would be the only way for creditors to get the best deal out of VRX's situation. Otherwise, there is no way creditors can get their $30B receivables from VRX just by selling their assets. They will need to extend terms which will give enough time for VRX to get its sh** together with the help of their nice cash flow.

Also, they are still spending loads of money for R&D and I dont think that's what they would do if they really believed they are going BK in a year. Overall, I think it will go higher but it is just so hard to stay focused when everyone talks negatively and the stock keeps going down

Rock Sexton likes this.
  10. Rock Sexton

My target was 33. So regardless of forward P/E, to take a position after it's already up nearly $6.00 will unfavorably skew my Risk/Reward (less than 1:1) I always have to plan for "just in case I'm wrong" ........ particularly in the shorter term.

It's tough because after that earnings report and conference call - they now essentially control the narrative of their own stock, which was very different situation than weeks prior. I've just never been one to chase price. It was hard enough for me to buy the gap up this morning when it was already up 6%. Now we're talking buying when it's up 28-30%. It's a very hard thing for me to rationalize.

Damn thing is 28.50 in after hours.

#70 Rock Sexton, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    DoveJohns likes this.
  11. bigbull

bigbull Active Member

Another great read. And somehow we are painted as the villain?
    This never saw the light of day in the media. Wonder why.
    This is absurd. They are going after everyone.

The game is always the same -- push a country, company, person to the brink, force agreement conditions, buy them for pennies on the dollar, make a handsome return and impose the rules from there on out. Those who disagree with their mandate are chopped into pieces. How is the process even democratic? This is not capitalism, its an assault on capitalism. Capitalism is about a growing synergy were people decide what is collectively best for them without necessarily harming the opposing/merging party.

This will not be the last time it happens. They will run through anyone.

------------------------------------

How Hedge Funds Held Argentina for Ransom

[​IMG]

PERHAPS the most complex trial in history between a sovereign nation, Argentina, and its bondholders — including a group of United States-based hedge funds — officially came to an end yesterday when the Argentine Senate ratified a settlement.

The resolution was excellent news for a small group of well-connected investors, and terrible news for the rest of the world, especially countries that face their own debt crises in the future.

In late 2001, Argentina defaulted on $132 billion in loans during its disastrous depression. Gross domestic product dropped by 28 percent, 57.5 percent of Argentines were living in poverty, and the unemployment rate skyrocketed to above 20 percent, leading to riots and clashes that resulted in 39 deaths.

The companies involved included some of the best-known vulture funds, including NML Capital, a subsidiary of Elliott Management, a hedge fund co-led by Paul Singer, a major contributor to the Republican Party, as well as Aurelius Capital and Dart Management. NML, which had the largest claim in the Argentina case, was the lead litigant of a group of bondholders in New York federal courts.

On Thursday, Argentina finally settled for something close to the terms that Judge Griesa set. NML Capital will receive about half of the total agreement — $2.28 billion for its investment of about $177 million, a total return of 1,180 percent. (Argentina also paid the legal fees for the vultures.)

This resolution will carry a high price for the international financial system, encouraging other funds to hold out and making debt restructuring virtually impossible. Why would bondholders accept a haircut if they could wait and get exorbitant returns for a small investment?

In some ways, Argentina was an outlier. It fought aggressively for the best terms from the initial set of bondholders, setting the stage for a spectacular recovery: From 2003 to 2008, until the global financial crisis intruded, the country grew 8 percent per year on average, and unemployment declined to 7.8 percent from more than 20 percent. In the end, the creditors who had accepted the initial restructuring got the principal value in full and even 40 percent more.

Most countries are intimidated by the creditors and accept what is demanded, with often devastating consequences. According to our figures, 52 percent of sovereign restructurings with private creditors since 1980 have been followed by another restructuring or default within five years. Greece, the most recent example, restructured its debt in 2012, and only a few years later it is in desperate need of more relief.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/01/o...ld-argentina-for-ransom.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

#71 bigbull, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  12. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Early movers: JD, TSLA, DIS, KORS, YELP, MYL, SPWR, VRX & more

JD.com — The China-based online retailer reported a surprise profit for its second quarter, despite a revenue shortfall, thanks to a substantial improvement in profit margins.

Southwest Airlines — Southwest said current-quarter revenue per available seat mile would fall more than expected this quarter, owing to a July 20 computer outage that canceled more than 2,000 flights.

Michael Kors — The luxury goods maker earned an adjusted 88 cents per share for its latest quarter, 14 cents a share above estimates. Revenue also came in well above estimates. Comparable-store sales fell more than expected, however, and it gave a soft current-quarter forecast.

Walt Disney — Disney reported adjusted quarterly profit of $1.62 per share, one cent a share above estimates. Revenue also exceeded forecasts. Disney revenue at its movie studio and theme parks divisions were better than expected, but investors are focusing on a revenue miss at Disney's cable networks business.

SunPower — SunPower lost 22 cents per share for its latest quarter, two cents a share smaller than anticipated. The solar panel maker reported better-than-expected revenue. The company also said aggressive pricing by competitors is hurting its near-term returns, however, and it plans to cut 1,200 jobs and slash its CEO's salary to $1 for the rest of this year.

Tesla – Tesla said one of its cars operating in "autopilot" mode had crashed in China, and is investigating the incident. The driver claimed Tesla's sales staff sold that function as "self-driving."

Yum Brands — The restaurant operator will receive a petition from consumer groups today, calling on its KFC unit to stop its suppliers from routinely using antibiotics on its poultry.

Pacific Gas & Electric — The utility was found guilty of federal charges in connection with a 2010 natural gas pipeline explosion in California that resulted in eight deaths and 58 injuries. PG&E could be liable for a fine of up to $3 million.

Valeant Pharmaceuticals — Valeant was the subject of a private shareholder dinner hosted by Bank of America in late June, according to a Reuters report. The dinner was attended by investor and Valeant board member Bill Ackman, and came six weeks before Valeant reported earnings and unveiled a reorganization plan Tuesday. The story said one analyst questioned the propriety of the timing of that gathering.

Yelp – Yelp surprised the Street by reporting a second-quarter profit of one cent per share, compared to estimates of a seven cents per share loss. The customer review website operator's revenue also exceeded analysts' forecasts, as does its current-quarter revenue forecasts. The upbeat outlook comes amid an increase in business and consumer signups for Yelp's services, following an increase in sales and marketing expenditures by the company.

Mylan — Mylan reported adjusted quarterly profit of $1.16 per share, three cents a share above estimates. The drugmaker's revenue was essentially in line with forecasts. Mylan's results were helped by growth in its specialty and generic drug sales.

SolarCity — SolarCity lost $2.32 per share for its latest quarter, smaller than the $2.44 per share loss anticipated by analysts. The solar equipment company's revenue easily topped estimates. The company did say that closing new project financing deals were delayed due to the takeover talks it had been holding with Tesla.

The Container Store — The retailer reported a quarterly loss of four cents per share, smaller than the 10 cents per share loss forecast by analysts. Revenue, however, was short of consensus, and the seller of household storage products said it still had work to do in driving sales higher.

Sony — Sony announced a September 7 event involving its PlayStation video-game console. Analysts said it's likely Sony will unveil a successor to the PlayStation 4 at that event.

Fossil – Fossil earned 12 cents per share for its latest quarter, beating estimates by three cents a share. The watch maker's revenue also came in above forecasts. Profit was substantially lower than the year before, however, and Fossil gave lower-than-expected guidance for the current quarter as sales of traditional watches fall.

13. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

14. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Good morning Stockaholics!

15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

AMD some weakness this morning.

16. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

$DIS to me, looks like consolidating for another leg higher, but could break either way.

17. Rock Sexton

Grabbed a position in RL @ 102 after this morning's earnings beat ...... Time to backfill some panic!

• Currently trading above all POC's (point of control) from Q1 and Q2 (which were accumulation) and previous "value" will be sought out as it rises
    • Q4 from 2015 has a POC at 116 and for all of 2015 it was 134
    • There is a virgin gap that hasn't been filled yet around 109, which would be first scale out opportunity
    RLweekly.JPG

#77 Rock Sexton, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  18. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

19. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

20. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

SHAK probably a short here if I felt like gambling!