Stock Market Today: December 26th - 30th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Dec 23, 2016.

1. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Oh, so we're crediting Obama for this last month? :p

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Yeah, Obama has been buying heavily for his own account, which is why the markets have been soaring! ;)

3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Fox news leans right, however, many of the behind the scenes producers and such are Democrats. I saw something a few years back that had fox news employees overwhelmingly donating to Democrats.

But that's all besides the point. Fox news is nothing when compared to ABC, CBS, NBC, The New York times, LA Times, Washington Post, Reuters News Service, The associated press, and even non news publications like People magazine and vogue that will often time sneak in Democrat talking points.

Also, the employment rate, as you should know, is complete garbage. All it tells us is how many people who are looking for work want to work. It doesn't tell us how many total people in the population are out of work.

And finally, Obama is the first president in history to never have a year over 3% GDP growth.

Regardless though of whether you think things are awesome or they are terrible doesn't matter. It's the perception that matters. And in every news cycle there is good news and bad news. You've chosen to focus on the good news of the Obama administration. Congratulations. So does our media.

Soon you'll be telling us all the negative news in the economy.

3 guesses as to why.

Stockaholic likes this.
  5. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

The SCR (Santa Claus Rally) has turned red after today's selloff.

[​IMG]

We still have 4 trading days left of the SCR. It will conclude at the close on Wednesday, January 4th.

6. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

If we head back up from here, it's a worst case scenario for my account. I bought the long ES futures position to hedge my short positions. So I made money today, but I jumped out of my long ES position at 50. So now I'm just short with a small lose on my long. If we head back up, ugh.

7. Value543

Value543 Well-Known Member

Definitely did not bode well for today -- a big 'ol red candle that ate up the previous 2x days gains off the most recent pivot low. Not only that, but today created a 2nd lower high. Tomorrow will be interesting -- the RUT is down to the 20 DMA, and hovering above a support TL (which used to be a long standing resistance TL). I see downside continuing, to the first support level @ 1352, then down to major-major support @ 1308 - 1313. Before either of those levels, though I see a possible bounce tomorrow off this 20 DMA + mini-floor which has been put in since these 2x pullbacks post-ATHs.

To recap, I'm thinking some kind of a bounce tomorrow -- doubtful it'll go up to what I think the next pivot high will be, around 1379 - 1375...then it'll head down to 1352ish for yet another pivot low. But we'll see...

stock1234 likes this.
  8. stock1234

Good call on a red day ;)

9. stock1234

Thanks for the update Cy, not looking too good for the SCR so far this year :eek:

10. aaa

aaa Member

DJIA won't manage to break through 20,000 this year

11. Stockaholic

np @stock1234 ;)

Here is my live SCR tracker spreadsheet for anyone interested to see how the SCR is doing in real-time-
    [​IMG] <-- click that button there to access my live sheet.

12. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

Lets see what they do the first 10 days of 2017. 2016 started with a bang

13. Stockaholic

Reminds me of football a bit. That was quite the goal line stand by the bears. The bulls had it at 1st & Goal at the 1 yard line and couldn't break through lol.

[​IMG]

14. stock1234

Gold having a good day. Last year we had a lackluster finish end of the year then we had a really bad January, we will see what will happen this time :D

15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Gold and silver look to be ending the year with a bang!

16. Stockaholic

Here's a look at the major indices on a percentage basis for the week, month, quarter, and year as we head into the final trading day of 2016 tomorrow!

These #'s are as of today's close-
    [​IMG]

17. Stockaholic

And here we are since the Nov. 8th Presidential Election for the major indices-
    [​IMG]

18. Stockaholic

whelp, the final trading day of 2016 is finally upon us ... it has been quite the interesting year here to say the least lol ... looking forward to the fresh start in 2017 ... have a great EOY fellas :D

19. Stockaholic

12/30 Friday's Stock Movers & News: MYL, LMT, GD, AMZN, WMT, PBR, QCOM, CHTR, RBS, AAPL, S
    Good day Stockaholics! Happy final trading day of 2016! ;)

[​IMG]

Frontrunning: December 30
    • Russia Set to Expel 35 U.S. Diplomats in Tit-for-Tat (BBG)
    • Trump’s Plan to Partner With Russia Faces Bigger Hurdle (WSJ)
    • Trump could reverse effects of Obama order on Russia (Reuters)
    • Gold Lures Investors Worried About Trade Wars and Trump Tweets (BBG)
    • Syria truce backed by Russia, Turkey, holds but clashes reported (Reuters)
    • U.K.’s May Criticizes Kerry’s Speech on Israeli Settlements (BBG)
    • Winter storm socks U.S. New England region (Reuters)
    • Twitter Seeks a Little Help From Its Users Twitter (WSJ)
    • Trump’s Border Wall, Deportation Plans Face Pushback From GOP (BBG)
    • Malaysian Leader Promised Openness, Now Stifles Dissent (WSJ)
    • Italy antitrust chief urges EU to help beat fake news (FT)
    • China Vows to Ease Curbs on Foreign Investment in Finance (WSJ)
    • Chinese Nuclear-Power Plant Delays Illustrate Toshiba’s Challenges (WSJ)
    • Paschi Rescue to Cost Italy 6.6 Billion Euros, Central Bank Says (BBG)
    • China to prosecute former senior spy catcher for graft (Reuters)
    • Minimum Wages Set to Increase in Many States in 2017 (WSJ)

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S MARKET HEAT MAP:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S S&P SECTORS:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (TICKER SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS CALENDAR:

NONE.

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Mylan — The drugmaker announced the launch of a generic version of Johnson & Johnson's Concerta, a drug designed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Lockheed Martin — Lockheed was awarded a $450 million modification contract by the Pentagon, related to the development and delivery of F-35A aircraft to South Korea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • General Dynamics — General Dynamics was awarded a $324.5 million modification contract by the Navy for ESB (Expeditionary Sea Base) 5.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Gulfport Energy — The oil and natural gas exploration company said Chief Financial Officer Aaron Gaydosik is resigning, effective Jan. 4, to pursue other opportunities.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    • Amazon.com, Wal-Mart — Amazon and Wal-Mart were sued by Run-DMC founder Darryl McDaniels, who accuses the retail giants of selling clothing and accessories with the rap group's name without permission.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Petrobras — Petrobras announced a number of asset sales to end the year, but the Brazilian state-run oil company fell short of the $15.1 billion it had planned to divest for 2015 and 2016. Asset sales for the two years totaled $13.6 billion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Qualcomm — Qualcomm settled a dispute with Chinese smartphone maker Meizu Technology, signing a worldwide patent licensing agreement. Qualcomm had sued Meizu in a number of countries in an attempt to get the company to license Qualcomm patents.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Charter Communications — Charter and Comcast's NBCUniversal are at a contract impasse, which could result in NBC channels being pulled off Charter systems on New Year's Day. Comcast is the parent company of NBCUniversal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Royal Bank of Scotland — The bank has been asked by shareholder groups to create an investor committee to improve corporate governance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Apple — Apple's iPhones will be made in Bengaluru, India beginning in April, according to a Times of India report. Taiwan-based electronics manufacturer Wistron is building a factory that will make those phones.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Sprint — The mobile phone company may be making the right moves to prompt a merger with T-Mobile US, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a good trading day to everyone in here on this final trading day of 2016! ;)

[​IMG]

20. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

Last Day of the Year.

IF YOU HAVEN'T, head over to here and vote in some of the polls for 2017 so we can gather as much data as possible. We love to hear everyone's point of view even if it is a simple UP or DOWN. A lot of time none of us have reasoning and are right and then other times we have PLENTY of reasons and are dead wrong.

Don't be shy.

http://stockaholics.net/forums/stockaholics-stock-market-polls-archives.40/

Stockaholic likes this.