Stock Market Today: January 16th - 20th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Earnings releases after the close today:
    ($NFLX $KMI $FUL $CLC $CP $SLM $PLXS $PTC $WTFC $FNB $CNS $CARO $BPFH $NVEC $SFNC $EGBN $CVBF)
    [​IMG]

Below are the tickers coming out with earnings with the time of release & estimates-

Wednesday 1.18.17 After Market Close Earnings Releases:
    [​IMG]

Here is the live real-time market data spreadsheet with the tickers that are reporting after the close today-
    [​IMG] <-- Click there to open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Stockaholic

Earnings releases before the market open tomorrow morning:
    ($KEY $BBT $UNP $CHKP $BK $MTG $PPG $WBS $HOMB $MTB $GATX $SBNY $WNS $SASR $KCG $TAL)
    [​IMG]

Below are the tickers coming out with earnings before the open tomorrow with the time of release & estimates-

Thursday 1.19.17 Before Market Open Earnings Releases:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Good luck ;) I am sitting out. I am leaning bearish but it is almost wrong every time to bet against Netflix :p

Baggi likes this.
  4. stock1234

@Cy McCaffrey Seems like the less than 1% move streak continues :eek:

5. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I make the most if it stays around $131. I start to lose big over $150 and under $113.

6. Stockaholic

Yep. So today makes it 67 trading days in a row w/o a -1% or greater move in the SPX which now makes this the longest streak of the bull market.

If you're wondering what the longest streaks have been w/o a -1% or greater move in the SPX here is the chart-

Still got a long way to go for the "ultimate" record though lol

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  7. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

That's pretty awesome.

So, now is the time to..... Do something. I'm hard pressed to figure out what. One moment I'm a bull, next I'm a bear.

Right now I think the charts are saying bullish. But trump inaugural is making me think bear.

Value543 likes this.
  8. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

If NFLX falls tomorrow like I think, then I cannot wait for media to blame "Trump inauguration fears". As if anyone in history has been afraid of an inauguration. As if we haven't had 2-3 months to prepare for this day, and the fear is only now showing up. We got right up to Dow 20k but they didn't let it tick under Obama. Where have the big bad bears been to push us down from 19.8k?

Baggi likes this.
  9. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I hope you're right about Netflix falling. Just let it open at about where it is now, and then fall.

10. Value543

Value543 Well-Known Member

Really thought we might be seeing something after how Monday went -- nope, not quite, at least not today. Comparing Monday-Tuesday of this week with Thursday-Friday of last week...similar sell offs at the open to pierce that support TL, but 0 reversal on Monday compared to the pretty swift rejection of the breakdown seen last week. And today, still not quite the same level of conviction in today's upside...until maybe that brief end of day rip. Interesting how yesterday ended with a red candle that is nearly equal to today's end of day green candle. Also interesting how today's stopping point is right all those pivot lows...with the support TL become a resistance TL? I think we'll see continued upside tomorrow, so we might just find out. The first step will be getting through 1362, which is a resistance point on the 10min and 2hr charts...really, the RUT will have an uphill battle all the way through the mid-1360s I suspect. I'd say that a close above 1375 would mean something, but in reality that puts the RUT right back into the middle of the chop box -- so does it? No, the RUT can bounce around as much as it wants to in the 1355 - 1392 range without meaning much of anything, IMHO. The only thing that would really peak my interest would be a red candle tomorrow that breaks that lowest pivot @ 1346ish.

Daily RUT.jpg

T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  11. Stockaholic

Here is just quick chart showing all of the past performances of the SPX the day before, the day of, and the day after the Inauguration since 1937.

The years in "bold" are Democrats which are 11 of them on the chart below, against 9 which are Republicans. Trump will the the 10th Republican to be inaugurated in that time this Friday. The grey shading denotes a newly elected president.

[​IMG]

While the SPX performance is kind of mixed for both Democrats & Republicans, it's kind of interesting how the grey shading and non-bolded years which are newly elected Republican presidents were mostly down during the inauguration which supports the idea that we might be looking at some weakness in these next few days ahead. We shall see.

12. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I hope you're right Cy. I hope we hit my upper trendline tomorrow and then I'll go short the market.

13. Stockaholic

1/19 Thursday's Stock Market Movers & News: NFLX, XOM, TSLA, LMT, AAPL, KMI, KEY, COST, CHKP, NKE

Good day Stockaholics! Happy Thursday!
    ;)

[​IMG]

Frontrunning: January 19
    • Yellen speech bolsters dollar after Trump's mixed messages (Reuters)
    • Draghi Set to Face Questions on ECB Bond Purchases (WSJ)
    • Davos CEOs 'go local' on supply chain in Trump era (Reuters)
    • Oil and Trump: Russians full of optimism (Reuters)
    • Biggest Opposition Party Ready to Topple Swedish Government (BBG)
    • The Mortgage Market’s $1 Trillion Pocket of Worry (WSJ)
    • Ex-VW CEO Winterkorn Deflects Blame for Diesel-Cheating Scandal (BBG)
    • George Soros, Mastercard to partner to aid migrants, refugees (Reuters)
    • Don’t Assume Canada Will Rally With U.S., Poloz Warns Investors (BBG)
    • Mnuchin to Address IndyMac, Tax Policy at Senate Hearing (WSJ)
    • On Davos sidelines, banks expecting three-year transition after Brexit (Reuters)
    • Safran to Buy Zodiac for $10 Billion in All-French Aero Deal (BBG)
    • These Automakers Could be Trump’s Next Targets (BBG)
    • Exclusive: Pentagon, Lockheed near deal on $9 billion F-35 contract (Reuters)
    • How Deutsche Bank Made Minus €367 Million Disappear (BBG)
    • Syria's Assad hopes for 'reconciliation' deals from Astana talks (Reuters)
    • How Well Does Running Vanguard Pay? (BBG)
    • GOP Governors Warn Lawmakers About Repeal of Affordable Care Act (WSJ)
    • U.S exchanges rent helicopter, drape banner in pursuit of Snapchat IPO (Reuters)
    • Netflix’s Global Growth Fuels Surge in Subscribers (WSJ)

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S MARKET HEAT MAP:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S S&P SECTORS:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (TICKER SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

THIS WEEK'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:

[​IMG]

THIS WEEK'S IPO's:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S EARNINGS RELEASES:

BEFORE MARKET OPEN:
    [​IMG]

PRE-MARKET TRADING:
    [​IMG]

AFTER MARKET CLOSE:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S ANALYST UPGRADES/DOWNGRADES:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET STOCK NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Netflix — The video streaming service reported quarterly profit of 15 cents per share, 2 cents a share above estimates. Revenue was slightly above forecasts, as well. Netflix also gave strong current-quarter guidance and better-than-expected subscription additions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Canadian Pacific Railway — CEO Hunter Harrison stepped down effective immediately, rather than following a prior plan to depart in July. President and Chief Operating Officer Keith Creel will take over effective January 31. The Wall Street Journal reports Harrison is partnering with activist investor Paul Hilal to target rival rail operator CSX, in an effort to put Harrison in a senior management at CSX.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Coca-Cola — Wells Fargo downgraded the stock to "market perform" from "outperform," pointing to both structural and macroeconomic headwinds among other factors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Exxon Mobil — UBS downgraded the oil giant's stock to "sell" from "neutral," saying Exxon has sub-par metrics and an expensive valuation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • BHP Billiton — The miner and partner Vale agreed with Brazilian prosecutors on a June 30 deadline to come to settlement deals involving billions in compensation claims. The case involves the 2015 disaster at a jointly owned iron mine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Tesla — Panasonic wants to expand its partnership with the automaker beyond batteries. Panasonic CEO Kazuhiro Tsuga told Reuters that he wants to two companies to partner on self-driving technology as well. Separately, Morgan Stanley upgraded Tesla to "overweight" from "equal weight," pointing to an expanding electric vehicle market and a surprisingly supportive political environment, among other factors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • GlaxoSmithKline — Glaxo announced the departure of global head of pharmaceuticals Abbas Hussain. The drugmaker hired executive Luke Miels from rival AstraZeneca to replace Hussain, who had been seen as a potential future CEO.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Lockheed Martin — The defense contractor is near a deal with the Pentagon on the F-35 aircraft that would bring the price below $100 million for the first time. That's according to Reuters, quoting people familiar with the talks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Apple — Apple is running into some resistance from Indian government officials, as it asks for concessions in return for agreeing to assemble iPhones in that country.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Mondelez International — The snacks maker is selling the Vegemite brand, as well as other Australian and New Zealand grocery product brands, to Australian dairy company Bega Cheese for about $345 million.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Kinder Morgan — Kinder Morgan reported quarterly profit of 18 cents per share, matching estimates, but the pipeline operator's revenue was below forecasts on falling oil and natural gas transportation volumes. Kinder Morgan's quarterly revenue posted its ninth straight quarterly decline, as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Costco — The warehouse retailer was added to the "Conviction Buy" list at Goldman Sachs, which removed Restoration Hardware from that list. Goldman said Costco is poised for earnings acceleration as it continues to enjoy momentum from last year's credit card deal switching to Visa from American Express.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • KeyCorp — The bank earned an adjusted 31 cents per share for the fourth quarter, beating forecasts by 2 cents a share. Revenue also beat estimates. KeyCorp said it's seeing continuing momentum in its core businesses and has also successfully integrated its acquisition of First Niagara.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Check Point Software — The network security company reported adjusted quarterly profit of $1.46 per share, well above estimates of $1.25 a share. Revenue also beat forecasts. Check Point saw particularly strong growth in mobile security products as well as an increase in customers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • HP Inc. — UBS upgraded the personal computer and printer maker to "buy" from "neutral," saying the company will benefit from having reduced supply and investing in growth opportunities.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Nike, Under Armour, Lululemon — Nike and Lululemon are rated "underperform" in a new report on the athletic apparel sector by CLSA, which also calls Under Armour a "buy." CLSA said it is concerned about a deceleration of Nike's North American sales, and that good news involving Lululemon appears to be already priced into the stock. It thinks Under Armour has opportunities for significant sales acceleration.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a good trading day to everyone in here on this Thursday! ;)

[​IMG]

14. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

World markets and pre-market heading into today's trading session:

upload_2017-1-19_8-9-29.png

upload_2017-1-19_8-9-57.png

15. Stockaholic

Ding ding ding and we are open for biz... Have a great trading day in here all.

16. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

$NFLX upper 140.70's struggling here (blue circles)so if u want to see 141.20's u need over this and right now iffy

17. Stockaholic

Earnings releases after the close today:
    ($IBM $SWKS $AXP $TEAM $PBCT $PFBC $INDB $BANF $ASB $FFBC $BMTC $SRCE $AMNB)
    [​IMG]

Below are the tickers coming out with earnings with the time of release & estimates-

Thursday 1.19.17 After Market Close Earnings Releases:
    [​IMG]

Here is the live real-time market data spreadsheet with the tickers that are reporting after the close today-
    [​IMG] <-- Click there to open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

I am not sure they can hold it up one more day.

19. stock1234

Seems like another relatively flat day. It could be a crazy day tomorrow though, who knows what Trump is going to say :p Bonds and gold selling off, interestingly the banks aren't acting that well despite rising yields

20. stock1234

Railroads up big today, CSX now up over 19% :eek: