Stock Market Today: October 31st - November 4th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Oct 28, 2016.

1. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Wow ADPT -41% after hours, on top of -10% during market day.
    Expected 56 cents, reported 6 cents.

3. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

@Cy Mac and Tormented. If you are seriously interested in playing the VIX you are spot on correct it's not too late to get in I am long in 20 Jan'17 calls. The week starting on 21 November thru December is going to be a wild ride like you never seen before compliments of a very reliable source.

Stockaholic likes this.
  4. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

i also have heard from a specific person that the vix futures became inverted today for a short period(this months' contract costed more than the forward month contract) , which usually indicates a big sell off within the next 2 months. it happened in december 2015, and it happened august 2015 before both of those sell offs.

5. Jim BooDog

Jim BooDog Active Member

Future sure looking to keep the spiral in motion Ken. Look out below!!

6. ESOX 606

ESOX 606 Member

Have to agree Jim. Kinda a good time to sit on the sidelines quiet a bit for me lately. I might be making a mistake, but getting some stuff done around the house in the mean time. Just hope my banker agrees it's a good call.

7. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

nice. thank you for chiming in @hitman and i agree wholeheartedly with you there. i strongly feel we're on the verge of seeing volatility ramp up like we haven't seen in a very long time imo ... i am seriously contemplating going in on volatility with both feet at this point ... my conviction levels haven't been this strong on this upcoming market downturn in a really long time, maybe ever ... i'm also liking precious metals here as well even despite all the eoy rate hike rumors swirling around ... these next couple of weeks are going to be cray cray ... hope we can all take advantage of it ... we have been long overdue for something like this imo.

8. MaximusAnalysis

9. Ken34

i guess under armor found a bottom at $30 , it has been showing relative strength over the past couple sessions.

10. Ken34

huh? how did NUGt go negative? yup thats why playing gold with NUGT hasnt been worth it lately.

11. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Gold is still up pretty nicely for the day, but for whatever reason the miners are now at lows of the day :eek:

12. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

...apologies to @Baggi & others who use these daily earnings charts ... i was busy all day getting google fiber hooked up to my home today :D

it's done now and needless to say i have a pretty damn big smile on my face right about now lol ... holy crap is this thing fast!! :eek:

anyway, these are a bit late now but i suppose better late than never ...

Here are the ER's after the close today:
    ($FB $WYNN $FIT $FSLR $QCOM $AMRS $MRO $WFM $ZNGA $KTOS $RIG $AIG $MET $TTWO $XPO $AWK $EQIX $CF $GDDY)
    [​IMG]

And here are the ER's before the open tomorrow morning:
    ($CHK $DDD $CYBR $AVP $LNG $TGD $GOLD $ICPT $APA $BTG $DNR $MPEL $TNK $MITK $CI $AMRN $ECA $CHTR $INSY)
    [​IMG]

Jim BooDog likes this.
  13. anotherdevilsadvocate

14. MaximusAnalysis

15. anotherdevilsadvocate

Lot of stocks with 20% beatdowns in the last couple weeks.

16. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

No problem Cy, I still got a couple of earnings trades in. First Solar FSLR and Facebook FB.

I also went long in natural gas. What the hell was I thinking?

As for volatility, yeah, I'm currently long UPXY for the month of November, per prior discussions about prior 8 year election cycles. Of course, if Hillary wins I plan to get out as quickly as possible. But if Trump wins, I expect maybe a bull trap, quick run up in the markets and everyone thinking it's hunky dory, maybe that'll last a week or so. Then I expect the bottom to fall out of the market, but only if Trump wins.

I hope I'm wrong though. I hope if by Tuesday night we know Trump will be the next President, the market opens wednesday down 100 points.

Anyway, I plan to get much longer on UPXY and maybe the VIX or something else similar, but first we need a bounce up. Hopefully we'll move up and sideways for the next four trading days until the election while the market holds it's breath, and then comes the flush.

But knowing my luck, we'll continue to dump through the election and this'll be a sell the rumor buy the news sorta situation. Ugh.

17. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Does anyone have any good long volatility plays?

So far, I've just been buying in the money calls with very little premium, costing around $5.00. I own the $11.50 end of November weekly options right now. Any other ideas to go long volatility? I may also try to get short the market, maybe some /es futures.

18. Ken34

just got home from work, so i havent read up on the earning reports yet, but i see facebook with that huge pullback, looks like a nice buying opportunity, i need to hear the conference call first.

19. Ken34

gold getting smacked this early morning.

20. ESOX 606

ESOX 606 Member

I think it will be fine Ken34. Big boys using the fed meeting yesterday as a reason to run it down. The feds ain't changing anything till there and if there is a change made in Washington. The big boys know this and use it to run little guys out and buy back in cheaper. Simple as a keypunch with the ETF's.