Stock Market Today: October 3rd - 7th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

gdx bounced off the 200 day today, even though gold is still down right now, gdx went positive, will it last into the close? who knows?

2. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

nice run in ACIA today, glad i got in this last week.

3. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Good Thursday morning Stockaholics!

10/6 Thursday's Stock Movers & News: TWTR, WMT, MYL, YUM, LB, TSLA, WBA, ANF, T, MET, JD, DB, COST, BBRY

[​IMG]

Frontrunning: October 6
    • Millions flee as Southeast U.S. braces for Hurricane Matthew (Reuters)
    • Hurricane Matthew Is a $15 Billion Threat Headed to Florida (BBG)
    • Three Risks to the Global Financial System as Debt Hits Record Levels (WSJ)
    • Deutsche Bank’s $14 Billion Scare (BBG)
    • Deutsche Bank Mismarked 37 Deals Like Paschi’s, Audit Says (BBG)
    • Monte Paschi Said to Plan Debt-Swap Deadline Before Italian Poll (BBG)
    • Donald Trump Often Made Donations to State Attorneys General Reviewing His Business (WSJ)
    • Iraq requests U.N. emergency meeting on Turkish troops in north (Reuters)
    • Saudi Aramco prepares to publish accounts for the first time (FT)
    • International observers will watch U.S. vote closely (Reuters)
    • Some Big U.S. Cities See Apartment Rents Fall for First Time in Years (WSJ)
    • Dozens of Afghan troops missing from military training in U.S. (Reuters)
    • Uber Slayer: How China’s Didi Beat the Ride-Hailing Superpower (BBG)
    • 7-Eleven Seeks North American Expansion, in Bow to Daniel Loeb (WSJ)
    • Pound Rally Didn’t Last Long as Brexit Concern Sparks Selling (BBG)
    • Lawmakers Accuse Mylan of Overcharging Government for EpiPen (WSJ)
    • Wal-Mart's next move against Amazon: More warehouses, faster shipping (Reuters)
    • Goldman Employees to Pull $300 Million From Omega Advisors (BBG)
    • Philippines' Duterte says if EU, U.S. want to halt assistance 'go ahead' (Reuters)
    • Wall Street Might Have a Blind Spot When It Comes to Trump (BBG)
    • India arrests 70 call-center workers accused of duping U.S. citizens (Reuters)
    • Greek islanders tipped for Peace Nobel stoic about nomination (Reuters)

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S MARKET MAP:

[​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

TODAY'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• TwitterAlphabet's Google unit will not move ahead with a bid to acquire Twitter, and that Walt Disney and Apple were also unlikely to be suitors, according to Recode.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Wal-Mart — The retailer reiterated its prior financial guidance for this year, and said it expected earnings to be flat next year compared with this year and then up 5 percent the following year. The retailer plans to slow new store growth, and added that it is very strong financially and has flexibility and options that competitors do not have. Wal-Mart executives will discuss these matters in detail at today's Investor Day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Mylan — The drugmaker overcharged Medicaid for its EpiPen over two decades, according to Democratic Senators Ron Wyden of Oregon and Frank Pallone of New Jersey. They say a letter from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services backs their view that the product was incorrectly classified as a generic drug since the fourth quarter of 1997. Mylan said the product has been classified correctly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Yum Brands — Yum reported adjusted quarterly profit of $1.09 per share, missing estimates by a penny a share. The restaurant operator's revenue also was below forecasts. The parent of KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza hut also reported a one percent drop in China same-store sales, compared to estimates of a 4.5 percent increase.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Tesla — Goldman Sachs downgraded Tesla to "neutral" from "buy," and lowered its six-month price target to $185 from $240 per share. Goldman sees increased risk for the automaker owing to its deployment of capital for the takeover of SolarCity, and a potential further delay in the launch of the Model 3.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Walgreens Boots Alliance, CVS Health — UBS began coverage on both drugstore operators with "buy" ratings, praising the "integrated approach to care management" practiced by CVS, and the broadness of Walgreens product offerings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Abercrombie & Fitch — The apparel retailer was downgraded to "sector weight" from "overweight" at KeyBanc, citing a heavier promotional environment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • AT&T — AT&T has struck a multi-year strategic deal with Amazon Web Services, with the two companies collaborating on cloud and networking capabilities.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • MetLife — MetLife plans to spin off its U.S. life insurance business to existing shareholders. It had announced earlier this year that it would separate that unit and rename it Brighthouse Financial, but had not yet chosen the method of separation at that time. The news came in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, and does not necessarily preclude a change to a different option such as an initial public offering.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • JD.com — The shares are getting a boost on news that Wal-Mart is nearly doubling its investment in the China-based online retailer to about 10.8 percent. The Wall Street Journal reports that the move also gives Wal-Mart observer status at JD.com's board meetings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Deutsche Bank — The German lender has not been in violation of money laundering rules in Russia, according to a Reuters report, which said a German financial watchdog has found no evidence of wrongdoing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Costco — The warehouse retailer reported a September same-store sales increase of one percent, doubling the Thomson Reuters estimate of a 0.5 percent rise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• BlackBerry — BlackBerry sales executive Alex Thurber told the BBC that a new keyboard-based BlackBerry device will be on the market within six months.

[​IMG]

#63 Stockaholic, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  4. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

5. MaximusAnalysis

6. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

7. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Cy, thanks for your informative posts each morning. Especially the earnings stuff. That'll help me pick plays during this coming earnings season.

Stockaholic and MaximusAnalysis like this.
  8. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

$AUPH Never heard of this stock but just looked it up on investors.com and it has an A+ accumulation /distribution. Impressive.

9. Stockaholic

10. Stockaholic

market map as we head into ny lunch hour:
    pretty much a mixed bag as are the major indices ... probably no big moves ahead of tomorrow's bls #
    [​IMG]

11. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

When I click the link it logs me out and wants me to log back in, rather than auto logging me in like is my normal setting. What's up with that?

12. Stockaholic

@Baggi

that's odd ... can't say that i ever had that happen to me

does this happen with anyone else? o_O

13. MaximusAnalysis

I get a separate page popping up but not log off.

14. Stockaholic

what browsers are you guys on? i don't get a new window to pop up on chrome though ... it opens on the same page for me ... weird

15. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'm using chrome on my android phone. Get a separate window pop up and logged out. Although I'm still logged in here, it's just the new page I have to log in from.

16. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Using Chrome on desktop. I get a new tab, and I have to log in again too.
    Whereas I'm always logged in when I come back here.

17. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Using chrome on desktop, same as above. New tab that logs me out.

18. Stockaholic

not to turn this into a stockaholics technical support thread haha, but very quickly here i'm just wondering is it just that link that i posted there that does this for you guys? or has this ever happened on any other parts of the site? just trying to troubleshoot this and figure out what the deal is there

i'm also using chrome desktop and haven't experienced the new tab log out issue ... very strange

EDIT: nevermind! let's move this discussion to this thread here-
    http://www.stockaholics.net/threads/linking-within-the-forums-causes-users-to-log-out.2471/

#78 Stockaholic, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  19. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Using firefox here and a link opening a new tab does indeed show you as logged out which is weird!

20. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Anyone lives in Florida here? Stay safe if anyone does. Anyway, reinsurance stocks are getting hit a bit today with Hurricane Matthew