Stock Market Today: September 12th - 16th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Have a good vacation, Marcy Darcy :)

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Thanks TTT. I'll miss the stocks, but I'll have a good time.

This is one reason why we need to raise interest rates: pensions need higher rates
    https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/ar...-put-pension-plans-in-worst-shape-in-15-years
    Argentina and Greece are two countries that already had mass protests due to pension issues. Think you can get the 90% to give up (part of) their pension?

3. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Dang ... gonna miss ya round here Marcy! Thx for the heads up there and I hope you have a really nice vaca there! Last official weeks of the summer. Enjoy it! ;)

Re: Gil -- hope he doesn't mind me sharing in here where he's been but I've been frequently keeping close contact with him via txt msg, and he is actually out in NYC for the week!

PROOF!:

[​IMG]

Yep, that's our @Gil Oren chillin' in the Big Apple! :D

He'll be back with us in a few days ... Was just up there for some R&R and enjoying the last few weeks of the summer! :)

I told him to take some pics on his venture to the NYSE! Haha.

4. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

I miss my hometown....sometimes. Winters I miss absolutely nothing about it LOL

Ken34 likes this.
  5. MaximusAnalysis

Today's Market Thoughts

Stockaholic likes this.
  6. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

haha same here, i always think about moving back to new york, then im like "nah im good"

another wild day in the markets, is anyone noticing that "h" pattern forming on gdx?.

7. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

@anotherdevilsadvocate Have a nice vacation ;)

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

Thanks for sharing that picture Cy.

@stock1234 Thanks!
    You guys will be the first thing I read when I get back, to get back into the swing of things.

stock1234 likes this.
  9. Andrew Duff

Andrew Duff New Member

Interesting.. Thanks!

10. Stockaholic

Good morning Stockaholics!

Good morning Stockaholics! Happy Hump Day! :)

[​IMG]

Frontrunning: September 14
    • Bayer wins over Monsanto with improved $66 billion bid (Reuters)
    • Yen trims gains as doubts creep in over BOJ easing (Reuters)
    • BOJ to make negative rates centerpiece of future easing: sources (Reuters)
    • Stocks Halt Selloff in Europe as Commodities Gains Lift Miners (BBG)
    • Donald Trump, New Team Recast His TV Image (WSJ)
    • Hanjin Brings One of World's Busiest Shipping Terminals Close to Standstill (BBG)
    • New York attorney general opens probe of Trump Foundation (Reuters)
    • Rubber bullets and tear gas - how China's 'democracy village' was silenced (Reuters)
    • Colin Powell Urged Hillary Clinton’s Team Not to Scapegoat Him for Her Private Server, Leaked Emails Reveal (Intercept)
    • There’s a $300 Billion Exodus From Money Markets Ahead (BBG)
    • Gloom Descends on Luxury-Goods Industry (BBG)
    • Kremlin: Obama's Trump criticism anti-Russian, won't foster better ties (Reuters)
    • Are Americans Better Off Under Barack Obama? (WSJ)
    • Three ships chartered to troubled Hanjin sold, more on the block (Reuters)
    • EpiPen Maker Dispenses Outsize Pay (WSJ)
    • U.K. unemployment rate stayed at an 11-year low (BBG)
    • U.K. Likely to Invoke Article 50 in January, Nigel Farage Says (BBG)
    • Top German companies say refugees not ready for job market (Reuters)
    • Briton pleads guilty on Trump gun charges (BBC)
    • Saudi Arabia Ousts U.S. as Biggest Oil Producer, IEA Says (BBG)

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S MARKET HEAT MAP:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

TODAY'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:

[​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS: MON, F, M, HLF, FB, TWTR, RT, VZ, ED, COH, APD...

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Monsanto — Germany's Bayer is buying the U.S. seeds maker for $128 per share or $66 billion in cash. Bayer said it expects the deal to close by the end of 2017.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Ford — The automaker unveiled a new growth plan which it said would improve underperforming operations and invest in new opportunities. It expects overall financial performance to decline in 2017 as a result, but rebound in 2018.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Macy's — Macy's was upgraded to "buy" from "neutral" at Citi, which said the retailer has an attractive free cash flow and dividend yield, and is making the right moves in a difficult retail environment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Herbalife — Investor Carl Icahn said at the CNBC/Institutional Investor2016 Delivering Alpha conference that he has asked for the right to buy up to a 50 percent stake in the nutritional products company, although he has no intention of making that purchase right now. Icahn also said he thought Herbalife would be better off as a private company.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Facebook, Twitter — The two have joined more than 30 other companies in a joint effort to keep fake news from spreading over social media. The First Draft Coalition was formed last year with the backing of Alphabet's Google unit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Ruby Tuesday — Ruby Tuesday said its Chief Executive Officer James Buettgen has resigned, after the board called for his removal because of the restaurant chains' poor performance. Buettgen had joined the company more than three years ago from rival Darden Restaurants. Former Boston Market CEO and current Ruby Tuesday board member Lane Cardwell will serve as interim CEO until a successor is found.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Verizon — Verizon was notified by New York City officials that it was in default of an agreement involving the buildout of its Fios high speed internet and TV service. The city said Verizon did not fulfill the goals outlined in a 2008 agreement. Verizon has 30 days to respond to the notice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Con Edison — Con Edison was upgraded to "buy" from "hold" at Jefferies, which cited valuation for the move involving the New York City-based utility's shares.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Coach — Coach was cut to "underweight" from "equal-weight" at Morgan Stanley, which questions whether a sustainable turnaround is occurring at the handbag maker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Air Products & Chemicals — Pershing Square's Bill Ackman sold 3.6 million shares of Air Products, bringing his holdings down to 16.9 million shares or 7.8 percent of the industrial gas company.
    [​IMG]

Good trading day to everyone in here on this Wednesday! ;)

11. MaximusAnalysis

#ES_F $ES_F #SPY levels to watch 2139.50 / / 2128 // 2116.50
    #CL_F $CL_F #Crudeoil levels to watch 45.62 / / 44.78 // 43.94

Stockaholic likes this.
  12. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

13. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Well-Known Member

It seems today could just as difficult as yesterday for options trading. I didn't enter anything options-wise. Just observing what's happening on that front. But, I continue to be in my equity positions lot 1 and lot 2. If the SPX collapses non above 2119, I shall enter long lot 3--but I don't really expect that, at least, today since the bulls did an excellent job of defending that support level yesterday, dropping down to 2120. In the meantime, I shall work with lots 1 and 2 for a rally that should happen at some point--but remember, I am talking about this as an equity swing trader and not an intra day trader. The SPX this morning has been range bound between 2130 and 2140. It's 8;01 a.m. PST

14. Stockaholic

Whelp, ain't nothing like being stuck on a highway for about an hour on your way back home way from a dentist check up ... serious accident blocking all lanes ... was checking in on mobile but pretty quiet in here today ... to coin Marcy yesterday "ghost town" how's everyone holding up in here today? Anything interesting catching anyone's eye? I'm just now getting seated at my trading station...haven't caught up to much of today's action yet.

15. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Probably not gonna do much today, tomorrow will be a big economic data day and I probably want to see the data first before making any move :p

Stockaholic likes this.
  16. anotherdevilsadvocate

It was Frankenstein that first mentioned the ghost town feel.

I'm not doing anything since I don't want to hold anything while I'm on vacation. Alas I probably will hold something, but just small sizes (AAPL, BABA, PANW).

Thought about selling AAPL when I was on earlier today and saw it right at this 112.39 level. But I'm just going to hold it, I don't think it's going under 100; my broker will have to look elsewhere for commissions for a couple weeks.

[​IMG]

Stockaholic likes this.
  17. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Well-Known Member

So, the SPX closed today, Wednesday, at 2125. It again tested that 2120 level, especially that 2119 key level I mentioned. It actually hit 2119. That level will continue to be very important the next two days to finish off the week.

My personal opinion is that it's nice to have this volatility in the market once again vs. that tight, 10 handle range bound stuff near the ATH. A key is not only trying to figure out what the market may do but also figuring out the best strategy for being in trades when certain setups show up.

Also, a challenge is figuring out how to trade two different types of instruments: 1. equities and 2. options. Options are more difficult to figure out. It requires much more skill and precision.

#77 Frankenstein, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  18. MaximusAnalysis

Today's Market Thoughts

19. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Does anyone here trade /es futures (short) against naked SPX put options?

If so, is it 2 to 1? Sell one /es future for every 2 short SPX puts?

20. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

looks like another short squeeze coming up in the spx