Things to consider while investing in Dividend stocks

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Gwen John, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Gwen John

Gwen John New Member

Don’t Chase the Highest Dividend
    Do Understand the Company You’re Investing In
    Do Study a Company’s Cash Flow Statement
    Do Look for Companies with a History of Increasing Their Dividends
    Don’t Cash in Your Dividends
    Any more pointers??

OldFart likes this.
  2. Dre4

Dre4 Member

I think it doesn't hurt to look at the financial statements as a whole. I like to look at their liquidity ratios as well as their debt to equity ratio. Do they have to be perfect? No, but they do help in narrowing down candidates for investing.

Revenue growth is also important to me, as I want some assurance that they will be able to keep increasing dividends.

Beta doesn't worry me right now, especially at my age but as time goes on it could.

I'll also give their margins a look and compare them to their industry peers.

OldFart likes this.
  3. Eqibeat

Eqibeat New Member

Totally agree, in looking at big cap average on eqibeat, the average is about 3.3 % and there are many stocks that are 5-7 % range, the sectors that are producing solid returns are Utilities and Telecoms particularly if you are prepared to look at ADR's

4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

If it is a pure dividend play then I would say most important is dividend history looking for at least 5 years of paying with at least one increase per year. Then payout ratio and cash flow is important to continue paying and raising. This would apply to both domestic and international.

5. Jonathan Wiley

Yes, you're right. Don't buy the stocks with the highest dividends. If you are seeking out higher dividend yields by investing in lower-quality companies, you risk not only quarterly dividend payments but also the possibility that the price of the stock will drop.

6. WillardWolfcake

WillardWolfcake New Member

Payout ratio and a history of stable earnings are key concerns if investing for income.