WDC - Western Digital

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by T0rm3nted, Apr 6, 2016.

1. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Western Digital Corporation (WDC) (commonly referred to as Western Digital and often abbreviated as WDC or WD) is an American computer data storage company and one of the largest computer hard disk drive manufacturers in the world, along with Seagate Technology.

Western Digital Corporation has a long history in the electronics industry as an integrated circuit maker and a storage products company. Western Digital was founded on April 23, 1970, by Alvin B. Phillips, a Motorola employee, as General Digital, initially (and briefly) a manufacturer of MOS test equipment. It rapidly became a speciality semiconductor maker, with start-up capital provided by several individual investors and industrial giant Emerson Electric. Around July 1971, it adopted its current name and soon introduced its first product, theWD1402A UART.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Reported after close today (4/28/16)
    Earnings: EPS $1.21 Revenue $2.8B
    Estimates: EPS $1.28 Revenue $2.86B

Down 4.02% in after hours so far

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

The world's largest storage manufacturer officially gets even bigger this week. Western Digital announced today that the company has cleared all the necessary regulatory hurdles in their planned purchase of SanDisk.

For a cool $19 billion, Western Digital now gets to call SanDisk (and their sizeable share of the SSD market) their wholly owned subsidiary. Although SanDisk might be best known for flash memory cards and USB sticks, the company has been expanding into enterprise notebook hard drives and also builds OEM memory components for Apple and Nvidia. Bonus trivia: Back in 2014, SanDisk founder Dr. Eli Harari was honored by President Obama for "revolutionizing the flash storage industry."

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

I live my SSD, can never go back to old spinny drives

5. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

SSD definitely the way to go. I have two drives in my comp. SSD for the operating system, games, and anything else I want running real quick, and a standard HD for storage and programs where time is no issue.

6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

So is this is the big buyout news? WDC should be seeing some bottoming action here finally.

7. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Ex-Div-Date: 6/29/16
    Payment Date: 7/15/16
    Dividend: $0.50
    Current Price: $50.81
    Annual Yield: 3.94%

8. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) _ Western Digital Corp. (WDC) on Thursday reported a fiscal fourth-quarter loss of $351 million, after reporting a profit in the same period a year earlier.

The Irvine, California-based company said it had a loss of $1.34 per share. Earnings, adjusted for one-time gains and costs, came to 79 cents per share.

The results surpassed Wall Street expectations. The average estimate of 11 analysts surveyed by Zacks Investment Research was for earnings of 72 cents per share.

The maker of hard drives for businesses and personal computers posted revenue of $3.5 billion in the period, which also topped Street forecasts. Six analysts surveyed by Zacks expected $3.45 billion.

Western Digital shares have declined 11 percent since the beginning of the year, while the Standard & Poor's 500 index has increased 6 percent. In the final minutes of trading on Thursday, shares hit $53.70, a decline of 31 percent in the last 12 months.

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

I know that all the new PCs Im building have SSD's, no more Western Digital in my computers.

10. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

They are more than a one trick pony though. From Yahoo Finance:

"Western Digital Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, engages in the development, manufacture, sale, and provision of data storage solutions that enable consumers, businesses, governments, and other organizations to create, manage, experience, and preserve digital content worldwide. The company’s product portfolio includes hard disk drives (HDDs), solid-state drives (SSDs), direct attached storage solutions, personal cloud network attached storage solutions, and public and private cloud data center storage solutions. It provides HDDs and solid-state drives for performance enterprise and capacity enterprise markets desktop, and notebook personal computers (PCs). The company also offers HDDs embedded into WD, HGST, and G-Technology branded external storage appliances with capacities ranging from 500 GB to 24 TB, as well as using various interfaces, such as USB 2.0, USB 3.0, FireWire, Thunderbolt, and Ethernet network connections. In addition, it provides consumer electronics solutions, including DVRs, gaming consoles, security surveillance, systems, set top boxes, camcorders, multi-function printers, and entertainment and automobile navigation systems. The company sells its products to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), distributors, resellers, cloud infrastructure players, and retailers. It serves storage subsystem suppliers, OEMs, Internet and social media infrastructure players, and PC and Mac OEMs. Western Digital Corporation was founded in 1970 and is headquartered in Irvine, California."

I'm not sure how effective they are in penetrating the public and private cloud data storage center business but that seems to me to be the area these types of companies have to do well in.

11. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

12. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Reported after close today (10/26/16)
    Earnings: EPS $1.18 Revenue $21.32B
    Estimates: EPS $1.05 Revenue $21.16B

Up 6.07% after hours so far

13. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

14. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

^^ nice! 2016 highs here...not too shabby

15. SwingTrade Guru

SwingTrade Guru New Member

Shares of Western Digital Corp (NASDAQ:WDC) are nearing a pivot resistance level as well as a 50% Fibonacci retrace at the price of $75.00. The stock is currently trading at $71.86. This implies Western Digital still has a little more upside before it becomes a strong sell. Investors who are long the stock should consider selling while investors looking for a great short trade opportunity, should consider initiating a short position.

[​IMG]

16. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

testing the jan. highs here albeit a bit off those morning highs as of right now

tbw875 likes this.
  17. tbw875

tbw875 Active Member

Did we not have a WDC thread already? Hm. Anyways, I bought in midyear last year at 45 after seeing a bottom V (thanks Dad!). I recently took profits on half. I don't think it has much room left to grow from here, and any downturn in the market can easily bring it back down to the 70 mark.

18. fidelgeorge

fidelgeorge Well-Known Member

Charts and sentiment all show strong support in the high 84's...IMO very little downside at these levels. If $84 fails however then bad.

Jack Levy and Charles Noble like this.
  19. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Looks like this has been a distribution range from $79 to $91.
    [​IMG]

There's been no big volume above $91 except on 6/23 but that quickly retraced and looks like it was an upthrust. The 50-day ma has been key, and right now it's looking just past its peak.

Fundamental-wise, EPS ttm was $1.28 but current estimates are $11.62 for next year, a 9x growth. That's a good thing right? Be careful, it could be a sign that estimates have to come down, when there's such a big disparity.
    I don't know the specifics anymore about the Toshiba deal, but now Apple is getting involved? (https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/tos...attle-apple-puts-pressure-on-acquisition.html) I think last I understood, Toshiba wanted to sell its business to Broadcomm for $20B+. Either way, that I think lends further credence to the thought that earnings estimates are in jeopardy here in WDC land.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  20. Jack Levy

Jack Levy Well-Known Member

Let it go now, don't overpay. Leverage access with legal action and spend money on something else, huge uptrend ready to resume.

Charles Noble and fidelgeorge like this.