Weather - your area... temps precip etc whats it like?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Apr 1, 2016.

1. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what they are saying....for now anyways.
    I've been through many typhoons and hurricanes....just wind and rain ...except on steroids...lol.
    Just another hurricane party for me.
    Hopefully it stays off the east coast completely.

Stockaholic likes this.
  2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

crap ... my folks in boca could be in big trouble ... i was just there this past summer for the 4th of july ... i am seriously hoping this thing takes a turn more to the north (heck Matthew why don't just make a visit to us in charlotte! we need to friggin' rain anyway lol) but please for the love of all good things do not take direct impact on the boca raton area!!!!!!

OldFart likes this.
  3. Stockaholic

^^this!!

OldFart likes this.
  4. OldFart

Well, looking at the radar this morning, if it goes straight over Nassau, it may barrel straight through the middle of Florida, which might impact my area.
    Just in case, I may have to prepare:
    Gas for the grill, beer, wings, etc.

5. Stockaholic

be safe out there oldie!

whelp, my folks have taken off and are heading south ... heading to the keys as it appears the storm will not have much of any impact down there

but it looks as though boca will have it pretty bad ... the friggin' storm is still strengthening as it heads straight to florida ... pos!

i was just telling my uncle how they were kind of due as the last hurricane to make landfall around there was about a decade ago...

hope everyone heeded the warning and prepared for this! this mofo is for real... be safe!

#45 Stockaholic, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  6. OldFart

@Cy McCaffrey

I hope your family makes it through this okay!

Stockaholic likes this.
  7. OldFart

8. Stockaholic

thx @OldFart ! although, my uncle had me know at the last moment that my cousin decided to stay and ride out the storm with her b/f! i don't even know what to think about this ... it's pretty damn shocking to say the least

so we're now up to cat 4 ... and as crazy as this sounds there is still time for this to strengthen even a bit further as it has now passed through nassau and back into open water ... i seriously wouldn't be surprised if this actually does get bumped up to a cat 5 just before it makes an official landfall ... cat 5 has winds of up to 155mph but those are sustained winds ... i hear there could be wind "gusts" of up to 200mph which is just asinine!!!

9. OldFart

hopefully it does not hit Cat 5 @Cy McCaffrey for your cousin's sake, but they are saying it might...
    did she not ever see pictures of what Andrew did to south FL?

A little weird, but the island I grew up on just went through a huge typhoon:

https://weather.com/storms/typhoon/news/super-typhoon-chaba-okinawa-japan-forecast

Chaba intensified to a super typhoon for a time on Oct. 3. The U.S. Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) estimated maximum sustained winds had reached 145 knots, roughly 165 mph, the equivalent of a Category 5 tropical cyclone at that time.

Wind gusts up to 134 mph (59.7 meters per second) were clocked on the Japanese island of Kume as the eastern eyewall passed through late Monday night, local time.

Stockaholic likes this.
  10. OldFart

IMG_0280.PNG Here comes some rain

Stockaholic likes this.
  11. Stockaholic

i could be way off here? ... but it almost looks to me as though the "eye" in that radar image you just posted oldie, is sitting right across from boca now? not that i'm wishing this turns more north (truth be told my ultimate wish would be for this POS storm to make a sharp turn to the east asap) but i mean at least in this radar image that you posted oldie, it does look as though the "eye" won't cross over boca at least ... that isn't to say that boca won't see high winds, power outages, and tree/home damage ... but perhaps they won't be hit nearly as hard as i had originally feared ... either way though, someone is going to get the full brunt of this storm it would appear unfortunately ... daytona beach?

i hate you hurricane matthew! :mad:

OldFart likes this.
  12. OldFart

Yeah it's moving right and left some so kind of unpredictable ATM.
    No telling where it'll end up going.

Bad thing is this is strong enough to go wherever it wants to go. There are no mountains in FL to slow it down either, so if it heads west, FL through Tenn will see significant wind damage.

Hopefully it does not pull an Andrew and go up the center of FL. That would be worst case scenario.

Stockaholic likes this.
  13. OldFart

Talked to my dad in Alabama.
    Said they are getting people in hotels there.... crazy. Must have been a lot of people on vacation to have to go all the way to AL for a room.

14. OldFart

Florida people, be ready!
    Governor Scott said to text 888777 and type FLPREPARES. This will sign you up to receive text message updates about Hurricane Matthew from the state emergency response team. Please sign up and pass the information along to friends and family.

15. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Price gouging has already started in Florida. I heard on the news some place was charging $10 a gallon for gas, and over $30 for a case of water...outrageous

16. OldFart

Probably so... it's definitely against the laws down here... $2000 fine min I think

17. Stockaholic

whelp, it would appear that boca did in fact get spared from this storm ... but the rest of the state not so lucky ... we're still talking about a hurricane with a pretty low pressure at 938mb ... that is unprecedented! that said, the maximum sustained winds did come down a bit to 120mph ... still no official landfall yet ... but this is actually turning out to be the case scenario because the storm is essentially hugging the coastlines

looks like official landfall could be around daytona beach in a few hours ...

OldFart likes this.
  18. OldFart

IMG_0283.PNG Eye is stretching 60 miles out while it's weakening.
    Coco beach getting gusts of 100mph.
    12-17 ft storm surge!
    Crazy!

#58 OldFart, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    leonx81 and Stockaholic like this.
  19. OldFart

Savannah GA got hit with storm surge.
    Just amazing this hurricane hasn't slowed down much.

20. OldFart

IMG_0288.PNG Eye right on Charleston