2019 Stockaholics Members Watch Lists

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Hope it is okay with @T0rm3nted if I can go ahead and start this thread on a clean slate as we head into the new year.

I feel the old thread kind of ran its course, and it wasn't getting much in the way of attention from the community as it mostly had old watch lists from a few years back. I want to do this on a clean start for 2019.

I've been really working very hard over the past several weeks to jump start this awesome idea for Stockaholics.

I always thought having user watch lists was a nice idea for exchanging thoughts and ideas within the community.

The old thread was great and it did its job, but I think now it's time for a clean fresh start as I've been working to make this process a bit more automated for everyone.

So, here's what I got.

If you guys want you can start reading my posts on the old thread from here-
    https://www.stockaholics.net/threads/stockaholics-members-watch-list.3877/page-4#post-91833

What I basically have done here is create a Google Sheet (a master sheet) as well individual member sheets (tabs) inside of the same spreadsheet with everyone's stocks on their watch list.

You can access my Google Sheet by clicking on the button link below-
    [​IMG] <-- click there!

EMBEDDED SHEET:

Thanks to @Three Eyes, I've managed to incorporate Google Forms into Google Sheets to make this process all automated!

So like here for example I had set up a Google Form for @Three Eyes to fill out-
    [​IMG]

This would automatically input all of his stocks on his watch list automatically into my Google Sheet (the master sheet as well as the individual members sheet) as show in my screenshot below-

Master Watch List sheet:

[​IMG]

@Three Eyes Individual Watch List sheet:

[​IMG]

There was a question the other day of whether or not members have the ability to edit (add and remove) picks from their watch list in the spreadsheet. The answer to that is a resounding, yes! Since I have everyone needing to be signed into Google to submit the Google Form, the forms can easily be edited after being submitted. :)

Anyway, this is all still a work in progress, and I'm not done making changes to it yet, but I'm kinda liking where this is going so far.

I have also added a field for members to give "rationale" for their stocks on their watch list, which I personally think is a pretty cool thing to have. :D

My ultimate goal here is to make this an active thread like our other discussion threads since I think there is so much potential to make these great.

I think having members being able to maintain a dedicated sheet in my Google Sheet via Google Forms is going to work nicely in making this a lot more easier and fun for everyone to participate.

Hoping with the creation of this brand new thread that we'll be seeing a lot more participation soon!

I really want to make this greatest ever lol.

Anyway, I'll have more for you guys in the days and weeks to come. I just wanted to start clean again since we are heading into a new year soon.

New year brings new watch lists for everyone!

#1 Stockaholic, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Three Eyes likes this.
  2. Stockaholic

BTW, I guess I forgot to mention this on my first post. But, to have your watch list show up in my master and individual sheets on my Google Sheet, I will need to create a Google Form for you to submit.

Like here for example I did one for @stock1234 since he said he would be willing to participate in this yesterday.

[​IMG] <-- click there!

All that I would need from you guys who are willing to participate in this, is to just make a simple "I'm in" or "I'm interested to participate in this" or whatever, so I can go ahead and create a Google Form for you, so you can be up on my spreadsheet.

Looking forwarding to seeing where this goes. I really do think there is serious potential with this. Just gotta make this a little easier and more automated for everyone I think. :D

Three Eyes likes this.
  3. Stockaholic

@stock1234 just curious to hear how this went for you? I believe you were planning to give it a whirl over this weekend, but not sure if you did.

Let me know whenever you get a chance! Thanks. ;)

4. Stockaholic

Just wanted to quickly follow up on this.

Not sure if you ever got the chance to test this out.

I suspect most people will be holding out until 2019 to submit their watchlists.

Since this is not a competition, watchlists can be submitted at any point in 2019.

I'll be submitting mine shortly after the new year as well.

5. Stockaholic

BTW, I just edited the thread title to include the year (2019) so I guess we can just use new threads (watchlists) for every new year. :D

stock1234 likes this.
  6. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

My bad Cy. I meant to test it but then something distracted me and I forgot. I will definitely test it by this weekend :)

Stockaholic likes this.
  7. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

OK I just tested it quickly, looks like my watchlist is showing up :)

Stockaholic likes this.
  8. Stockaholic

Good deal. Thank you for testing it out for me @stock1234 and for letting me know! ;)

I'm gonna give this thread one more bump because I really don't want this to go by the wayside again like it did on my last attempt during this past summer.

I think to make this thread a bit more interactive and lively if you will, perhaps it would be a good idea for members to post a quick update to this thread whenever they have either dropped or added new tickers to their watch list in the spreadsheet. This way they don't go completely "concealed", and also it would bump this thread to the top so other members get a chance to see it. What do y'alls think?

I really think there's a heck of a lot of potential for this thread, especially with the new forms format that I set out for the watch lists.

The main objective for this thread is to get members discussing, and exchanging thoughts and ideas, etc.

9. Stockaholic

Hmm, I think what I'll do here is just create a bunch of individual user forms so people don't need to be bothered with coming in here to post if they want to participate, etc. Then I'll just have those linked up in here via button links.

Not sure if that'll do the trick, but I guess it does not hurt to try eh. :p

10. Stockaholic

@bronk if you're lurking, I just went ahead and created a form for you if you'd like to participate.

[​IMG] <-- click there to submit your watch list!

Gonna try to create a few more here and see if this catches any interest from others.

Next up on the forms will be @rStock...

11. Stockaholic

Here we go. Made one for you as well @rStock. ;)

Next up will be @Steven_Burt

12. rStock

rStock Well-Known Member

Thanks CY ... let see I have something to submit...

Stockaholic likes this.
  13. Stockaholic

Here's one for you Steve.

14. Stockaholic

15. Stockaholic

Not sure if this will help any, but I've just gone ahead and embedded the spreadsheet into the first post of this thread.

Also, if there are any others who would like to submit a watch list, please let me know.

I got kind of tied up with other things today, thus I wasn't able to setup additional forms for other members.

I'll try to get on this again from next week.

Three Eyes likes this.
  16. Stockaholic

Here's one for @Lico Inv :)

17. Stockaholic

And here is one for @snuffalchewy-

18. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

This is turning out to be handy tool. In the "Rationale" field, I've been adding the date of my last comment to remind myself which of the items where my thinking and/or actions taken has evolved. :cool:

Stockaholic likes this.
  19. Stockaholic

Oh shit. That is a nice idea @Three Eyes!

BTW, thank you for giving this thread a much needed bump haha.

I still haven't given up on this watch list idea just yet! However, admittedly, I'd by lying if I did not say this, but I have been losing just a slight bit of faith that this watch list idea will ever turn into anything meaningful on the forums. :p

IDK what we could change up and/or add to the form/spreadsheet that would maybe make this more enticing for members to participate?

If you guys have any ideas, please let's hear them. I'm all ears. ;)

I tried taking the time to make individual forms for members to submit, but that seemed to fall on deaf ears unfortunately. Ah well.

20. Stockaholic

Gonna give this thread one more bump to see if this can gain any traction at all within the community here.

So, I feel like we might be missing something (?) in either the Google form or the spreadsheet to make more of an incentive for people to participate in this. Perhaps my Google sheets template needs some work to make this look perfect like my other spreadsheets. For example, the individual sheets. I know that looks quite a bit sloppy the way that it's showing up now. Maybe I can sort everyone's tickers by highest YTD % or something. I'll see if I can fix that up some soon.

If anyone has other ideas to share to maybe make this more engaging and interactive for people, etc. I'm all ears.

This will probably be my final post bump to this thread, and I'm even thinking of taking this off as a sticky thread, unless there is some participation in here.

My idea from the other week was to have people post updates to this thread any time a change was made with tickers in the spreadsheet, this way this thread gets bumped to the top frequently so others don't miss it. But, I'm just guessing that either no one really cares much for this new watchlist thread or maybe just isn't terribly impressed, etc. and that's fine I get it. At least I can go out with this thread knowing that I tried haha. Will just chalk it up to another failed attempt. :p