AA - Alcoa

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/CENTER]

Alcoa Inc. (AA) (from Aluminum Company of America) is an American public company best known for its work with lightweight metals and advanced manufacturing techniques. The world's third largest producer of aluminum, behind Chinalco and Rusal, the company has corporate headquarters in New York City. From its operational base in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the United States, Alcoa conducts operations in 30 countries. It is one of the world's largest lightweight metal manufacturers of products made of aluminum, titanium and nickel. Alcoa’s products are used worldwide in aircraft, automobiles, commercial transportation, packaging, building and construction, oil and gas, defense, and industrial applications. Alcoa's products include fastening systems for the Airbus A380 jet, sheets for Ford's F-150 truck, and the first aluminum fan blade for Pratt & Whitney jet engines. Alcoa also supplies aerospace-grade aluminum produced in South Korea to Samsung Electronicsfor its Galaxy S6 and S6 edge models. Alcoa is a major producer of primary aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina combined, through its participation in all major aspects of the industry: technology, mining, refining, smelting, fabricating, and recycling. As of 2014, the company has $37.4 billion in assets and 59000 employees.

Its operations are made up of three business groups: Engineered Products and Solutions (EPS); Global Rolled Products (GRP); and Global Primary Products (GPP). EPS consists of five businesses: aerospace, gas turbines, building and construction, and commercial transportation. EPS mainly concerns the manufacturing operations, such as production of airfoils, fasteners and architectural systems. The GRP segment possesses two units: Global Packaging (producing beverage containers, industrial packing and foil); and Aerospace, Transportation and Industrial, which manufactures aluminum plates and sheets for these markets. The GPP manages the commoditysegment, wherein the mining, refining, smelting and energy operations are run. The company's largest business unit, GRP, generated 31% of its revenue in 2014, while the EPS business made up 25%. The primary metals unit, or GPP, accounted for 28% of revenue, while the production of alumina contributed the remainder.

As of 2016, Alcoa will be split into two publicly traded entities, an aluminum commodity business and a higher-value manufacturing operations company. The former will keep the Alcoa name, while the latter's name is Arconic. While the aluminum company will possess five business units including bauxite and aluminum, the second entity's portfolio will comprise EPS, GRP and Transportation and Construction Solutions (TCS). The split is to be finalized by mid 2016. The "new Alcoa" consists of 64 facilities, a staff of roughly 17000 and a yearly revenue of $13.2 billion for 2014. The second company spans 157 sites and employs about 43000 workers, having a comparative revenue of $14.5 billion.

As of 2007, the company has undergone a divestment from primary aluminum, focusing on higher-profit value added metal products, such as aluminum sheets and titanium castings instead. Since that year, Alcoa has closed or sold 1.3 million tons of its smelting capacity (and will continue to do so), according to the Wall Street Journal. The change in strategy has produced a favorable turnaround, with the company seeing its best operating results since 2008, with a net profit of $368 million in 2014.

Alcoa owns several businesses, such as Kawneer and Howmet Castings. Rank Group Limited, a New Zealand-based company bought Alcoa's Packaging and Consumer businesses for $2.7 billion. The sale was announced on December 21, 2007, and closed in the first quarter of 2008. Alcoa was a member of the Dow Jones Industrial Average until 2013, when it was replaced by Nike.

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Alcoa rises 1.2% to 9.48 in PreM trading before it releases its Q1 earnings results after today's close, consensus EPS of 0.02

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

What to expect from Alcoa’s earnings
    Alcoa Inc. is scheduled to kick off the first-quarter earnings reporting season on Monday, after the market closes.

Wall Street analysts are expecting a third straight quarter of declines in both earnings and revenue, given weakness in aluminum prices, which would mark a fitting start to what is projected to be the fourth straight quarter of earnings declines for the S&P 500 companies.

Earnings: Alcoa is expected to report earnings per share of 2 cents, according to the average estimate of analysts surveyed by FactSet, well below earnings of 28 cents a share, in the same period a year ago. That is down from FactSet EPS consensus expectations of 8 cents at the end of 2015.

Estimize, which surveys sell-side analysts like FactSet, but also hedge-fund executives, brokerages and buy-side analysts, suggests the outlook is a little better, with an EPS estimate of 4 cents.

Alcoa had beat EPS expectations for the first quarter, after missing the previous two quarters.

Revenue: The FactSet consensus for revenue is $5.15 billion, down from $5.82 billion a year ago. The consensus has declined from $5.48 billion at the beginning of the quarter. Those crowdsourced by Estimize are projecting, on average, revenue of $5.31 billion.

Alcoa missed revenue expectations the last two quarters.

whotrades.com/blog/43580406696

T0rm3nted likes this.
  4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Alcoa posts mixed quarterly results

The metals and materials company reported adjusted first-quarter earnings of 7 cents per share on $4.95 billion in revenue. Earnings fell from 28 cents per share in the prior-year period, while sales slid from $5.82 billion.

Analysts expected Alcoa (AA) to post earnings of 2 cents per share on $5.14 billion in revenue, according to a consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters.

Alcoa, whose report is often regarded as the start of earnings season, is expected to split into two publicly traded companies later this year. The metals and materials company plans to separate into "upstream" and "value-add" units amid a divergence of its operations.

The value-add company, called Arconic, will contain higher-growth segments like rolled and engineered products. Alcoa will continue to house the company's traditional units including bauxite, aluminum and alumina.

Alcoa shares have plunged more than 25 percent in the last year amid a prolonged commodities slump.

LINK - http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/alcoa-posts-mixed-quarterly-results/ar-BBrD4Zf

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Closed at $9.30 -4% AH

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like it has recent support around that level. Will be interesting to see if it goes down more when the market starts back up tomorrow or if it drops even further.

7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

-3%, a bit better here

8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Breaking above resistance, MACD crossover, and 50MA crossover of 200MA. I wonder if this one will keep going up.

upload_2016-4-19_14-23-4.png

9. silver-dragon

silver-dragon New Member

Alcoa
    ALUMINUM
    Alcoa Inc. engages in engineering and manufacturing lightweight metals worldwide

[​IMG]

AA is trending in a well established channel I am expecting the market to be down Tuesday so it may be a rough ride up but because AA is closely tied to the price of aluminum I am hoping that SPY has little affect on it.

In at 9.50 Exit at 10.00

I am hoping for a clean swing trade on this.

#Wed Update I think I will pick up a few more shares @9.15 to average down my position.

[​IMG]
    Support held strong today.

Earnings report to be released on 7/11/16
    [​IMG]

T0rm3nted likes this.
  10. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice post @silver-dragon. I'm actually in AA at $9.02 as well, targeting $10.

11. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

Anyone holding during earnings? Nice run up these last couple days

12. AverageJoesTrades

I took profits on my JUL 15 2016 9.00 CALLS @ 1.13

I left 2 calls remaining of house's money for the earnings... might as well

13. AverageJoesTrades

14. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Reported after close today (7/11/16)
    Earnings: EPS $0.15 Revenue $5.3B
    Estimates: EPS $0.10 Revenue $5.2B

Up 3.45% in after hours so far

StockJock-e likes this.
  15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

And the buyers keep coming in!

16. AverageJoesTrades

and they left as quickly as they came... I'm sure it was profit taking. I'm still holding my 2 calls with the house's money.

I think AA can go higher.

17. AverageJoesTrades

18. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Nice!

The last two days have been paying off.

19. AverageJoesTrades

sold my last 2 calls for 1.85. Total gain of 153%

silver-dragon likes this.