Best UK Broker

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Jon Felkin, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Jon Felkin

Jon Felkin New Member

Hi all, I'm in the UK and looking for a good place to invest my money. I will likely be putting between £5,000 and £10,000 into the account so I guess one with lower fees would be better for me. I have done some google searches and all the information is either sponsored content or well out of date information, so cannot trust any of it. From the information I did find, De Giro sounded interesting but I cannot make a demo account to test it.

What does everyone (in the UK) here use?

Thanks

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

www.interactivebrokers.co.uk is good, but you need a 10k minimum. I believe there is a demo system.
    IB is a serious platform used by many daytraders, it might be a little complicated at first, but give it a look.

De Giro is very popular, give that a shot too. You can try a few until you find one you like!

3. Jon Felkin

Jon Felkin New Member

Okay, I will take a look at interactive brokers first and give them a try, I presume that it is just a 10K deposit, If any of the investments lose a small amount of value taking the total under 10K there will not be a problem?

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Im pretty sure you can demo IB, try using first before you decide to jump in.

10k needed to open the account, but they will not kick you out for falling below that.

5. Jon Felkin

Jon Felkin New Member

Yes, you are correct I'm demoing it now, just buying and selling some random stuff to work out the features etc, find where information is stored.

Few niggles I want to work out before I would commit, I bought and sold something so my position is 0 but it still shows in my positions and I have yet to find a way to remove it. Also, it seems like it will show change for the day in the price but not sure it will be easy to find how much a position has changed since purchase so will have to wait and see on that.

Also rather oddly under my investments something called MGKS Asset Managment shows up which has already lost the demo account a load of money... But I can't work out how to remove it. I presume this would not be on a full account.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion I think it will likely be fine after I work my way thru the software.