Blackout and high Vol%

Discussion in 'Canadian Stocks Message Boards' started by Aryames, Feb 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Aryames

Aryames New Member

Hello,

This is my first post. So I introduce myself first. My name is Aryames and I'm a new trader and at the start point of the road, a preschool trader.

Last week, we, all employees received a blackout email from the company where I'm working. Today, I noticed that 20 minutes that blackout email, there was a huge jump in Vol. and 40% stock price increase. Is there any relation between the blackout email or that jump after the email. Or that was simply a coincident? Same coincident happened again 1 month before the recent blackout.

Thank you,

#1 Aryames, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. Small time investor

Could you please explain what you mean by blackout. I'm guessing that the company is telling you not to communicate about the company. Is there ever a time given for the end of the blackout? I suspect that there may have been some insider trading to cause the jump. Were there any announcements made of a large investor , merger, partnership, etc.? Depending on timing, you might be able to see the filings to determine the past jumps.

3. Aryames

Aryames New Member

The blackout is the period that we, the employees, cannot trade the company's share, sell or buy. And of course (I think) not giving news or updates to others outside of the company. And yes, there is an end time for that as well. Normally, after receiving the blackout start date, after some days, we have a press release or receive a blackout end email.

Because of that curiosity; or suspicion as you said, I checked the previous blackout period and there was again a big Vol% trade after the blackout email.

During or right after these 2 blackout periods, there were no public announces or press releases from our company or our partners.

4. Aryames

Aryames New Member

Please see image attached, may give you a sense of what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

• bout.png
      bout.png
      File size:
      98.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Small time investor

You should definitely look at the companies public financial records. If you are a shareholder you also have the right to ask the reason behind the blackouts. Good luck.

6. Aryames

Aryames New Member

Thank you @Small time investor . No I'm not a stakeholder. From what we have been told, during the blackout period, according to the law (I don't remember the name), we are prohabited to buy or sell company's shares.
    So, you think; as I do, something's wrong?

7. Small time investor

The word wrong my not be the proper word to use. Many times a company may do legal transactions that if word gets out prematurely then it may cause insider trading. There are also times when a stock option may be exercised legally by a large investor. Regardless, they must somehow disclose publicly what transpired. This must be disclosed In the public filings. (It may be hidden, but it should be there.)

Aryames likes this.
  8. Small time investor

Aryames likes this.
  9. Small time investor

Aryames likes this.
  10. Aryames

Aryames New Member

Thank you @Small time investor. I checked Canadian Stock Exchange and Sedar. Both are amazing. No activity on that date according to Sedar. I cannot see dates before 25 trades on CSE. Thank you again.

#10 Aryames, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021