Confused... help

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by EvanBivens, Sep 2, 2020.

1. EvanBivens

EvanBivens New Member

I use Robinhood and I bought 1 call at 1.50 and it was set to expire March of 2021. Well the call was somehow loosing money even tho the stock was going up. So I seen I could exercise the call option for 2.50. So I decided to sell off all my other stocks to get $250 to exercise the call option. I did that and it made my account freak out showing numbers I haven’t ever had. My question is since I spent 150 on the option to start with then exercised the option for 250 did I just loose $100??? I’m really lost about it.

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

First off, you should never exercise an option before the strike date, unless you're doing a complex strategy like box spreads.

Sounds like you just wasted $150 buying the call. Since you exercised today, an option that was letting you wait until March 2021, then you bought 100 shares of that stock for $250 (you would have gotten those 100 shares on March 2021 for just the $150 you paid at first). This is why you never exercise early -- you had the benefit of time to wait to see if those shares were worth it.

This is what it sounds like; mind giving the name of the stock?

EvanBivens likes this.
  3. EvanBivens

EvanBivens New Member

BXRX

4. EvanBivens

EvanBivens New Member

Lea
    Learning lesions right lol

5. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Lesson learned. You don't know what you're doing. Keep it simple. Just buy and sell. No fancy trading. Stay away from low value, speculative, volatile penny stocks.