CTL - CenturyLink, Inc.

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Tiptopptrader, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

CenturyLink, Inc. provides various communications services to residential, business, wholesale, and governmental customers in the United States. It operates through two segments, Business and Consumer. The company offers high-speed Internet services, which allow customers to connect to the Internet through their existing telephone lines or fiber-optic cables; multi-protocol label switching, a data networking technology to support real-time voice and video; and private line services for the transmission of data between sites. It also provides Ethernet services, including point-to-point and multi-point equipment configurations that facilitate data transmissions across metropolitan areas and wide area networks (WAN); colocation services that enable its customers to install their own information technology (IT) equipment; and managed hosting services comprising cloud and traditional computing, application management, back-up, storage, and other services. In addition, the company offers video entertainment services and satellite digital television; Voice over Internet Protocol, a real-time, two-way voice communication service; and managed services that consist of network, hosting, cloud, and IT services. Further, it provides local calling, long-distance voice, integrated services digital network, WAN, and switched access services; and data integration, which includes the sale of telecommunications equipment and providing network management, installation, and maintenance of data equipment, and the building of proprietary fiber-optic broadband networks. Additionally, the company leases and subleases space in its office buildings, warehouses, and other properties. As of December 31, 2015, it served approximately 6 million high-speed Internet subscribers and 285 thousand television subscribers; and operated 59 data centers in North America, Europe, and Asia. CenturyLink, Inc. was founded in 1968 and is headquartered in Monroe, Louisiana.

[​IMG]

2. Tiptopptrader

3. Tiptopptrader

CTL getting slammed on on merger deal

upload_2016-10-31_7-38-54.png

4. stock1980

stock1980 New Member

Can anyone here look at its charts to see if it is bearish/bullish and good entries/exits for a swing/long term position?

5. stock1980

stock1980 New Member

help, anyone?

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm curious why you care specifically about THIS stock and only this stock. You should probably widen your horizons and start looking around at the posts others are making about other stocks to see what they're saying about those. I would guess you know more about this stock than most since you're interested in specifically this stock.

With that being said and having never looked at this chart, I'd say it's in a long-term down-trend, so it's hard to predict where the bottom would be. If you DESPERATELY wanted to take a stab at this stock for whatever reason, I'd look for an entry around $18.35ish, and set a stop loss just below $18 so that I couldn't lose a lot on this stock that could drop to who knows where. Hard to predict a bottom on a stock that's been going down for so long.

Again, with the way the market has been looking so bullish for so long now, why you would limit yourself to looking at one specific stock that is in a long-term downtrend is beyond me. I'd look elsewhere.

upload_2017-9-20_20-51-26.png

7. stock1980

stock1980 New Member

Thank you very much for your insights! From what you are saying, I guess you think that it is probably near its bottom and could bounce . If not, why not just short or put it, right?

I do not know much about this stock. I came across it by accident when I was looking for dividend stocks. Its dividend is about 54 cents per share (currently closed at $18.67 today), or 11.60%, which I think is very attractive and sparked my interest. It would be great if I could get a little appreciation in share price while collecting a great dividend pay too! Why not?

I do not consider myself an expert in stock trading (just started out learning about trading/investing), so I posted my question here to see if anyone could help me to gain more insights into this stock.

I do look at other stocks.

(No need to be pre-judging/assuming or condescending on other people, please!)

Hope others could give more insights! Thanks.

#7 stock1980, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I was not being condescending, or at least not meaning to. I was simply asking why you would want to invest in a stock that's in a downtrend during a bull market when there's much better options out there. I was really just trying to see why you picked this one and specifically wanted opinions on only this one. As to the bolded quote above, that's not really what I was implying. I said IF you're heart is set on this, and only this stock, then this might be an OK spot to take a chance on it, but set a fairly tight stop. I recommended at the end though that this not be an investment for anyone. Obviously it's just one man's opinion though.

9. stock1980

stock1980 New Member

Thank you for your clarification!

10. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

Long. Not value trap in humble opinion.

11. stock1980

stock1980 New Member

Thank you for your insight!

I bought some at the low 18 last Friday. it popped almost 5% (~4.80%) at the height at 19.40 today.

12. fidelgeorge

fidelgeorge Well-Known Member

The very tiny job CTL got isn't jumping the price. It’s the tax benefits. This will be 15.5 end of week.

Jack Levy and Charles Noble like this.
  13. hollyhunter

hollyhunter Member