Earnings Results

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

[​IMG]

@T0rm3nted recently started up a thread here dedicated for all the upcoming earnings releases-
    So, I just thought we could have a separate thread here to dedicate those earnings that have reported on those days and post up the actual results as to not clutter up his thread there.

I think both the upcoming earnings and the actual results would be best posted on their own separate thread respectively.

Additionally, all of the ERs that have already reported can be found in this one thread. I'll try to keep this thread updated, especially as we kick off this next round of earnings season.

Thursday 1/5/17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

Thursday 1/5/17 After-Hours Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

this is really really good stuff, like wow good!

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Sweet! This helps a lot. I wonder if we could figure a way to show them in sectors? If the first earnings of say, retail, are bad, we may make the assumption that other retails will be bad. That might help with other earnings plays in the same cycle.

Construct_Nut_77 likes this.
  5. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a good idea, I'm trying to think of a way to "easily" do this. The problem with a lot of these "good ideas" that we have on this site end up becoming a lot of work for the few of us doing them. If we find an easier way to do them that only takes a few minutes a day, they usually end up lasting longer.

Perfect example is when I used to try to post in every thread the results of their earnings, when their dividends were upcoming, analyst upgrades/downgrades, and insider training information. It was taking me hours a day and I gave up. I eventually just decided to put it all in one thread. It's still not perfect because a lot of people don't visit the threads or don't see it on the right days (when stocks they're invested in or watching had activity in those areas), but it's easier for me and this isn't a full time job ;)

I'm open (and I'm sure @Cy McCaffrey) is as well to trying to find a way to do this idea (or any other good ones like that), but we need to think of a way that isn't overwhelming and is still useful.

Maybe we come up with a spreadsheet that has every stock in each industry (one-time task) and order them in the order they release earnings every quarter. That would make it real easy to see how each one did prior to whichever one is coming up, and see which one is coming up next. Would also help for tracking in the past how well those predictions held.

I'll brainstorm a little more and see if I can come up with an easier way to do this.

6. Stockaholic

Spot on Chris.

@Baggi's idea is a great one for sure. But, unfortunately there isn't actually a way to sort all these ERs results by sectors as of now, or at least I haven't found a way to do it yet. And, Chris is absolutely right. We need to think of a way to do these that isn't so overwhelming and very time consuming for us. I'm sure you know @Baggi I've got quite a bit on my plate for this site as it is already, with all of the weekly threads, as well as the morning market movers & news threads that I put out here on a daily basis which eats up a hella amount of time for me. Not to mention all of the other things that I do on Stockaholics as far as site maintenance goes. And even things that I do outside of the site like posting up on Reddit, iHub, Facebook, Twitter, Stocktwits, etc. And also playing fatherhood for my nephew to boot. It's any wonder how I'm able to find any time to trade lol. But, I'm managing.

The spreadsheet idea sounds like an interesting one though. But, hmm... I'm not entirely sure how we could go about setting that up w/o it being too tedious & time consuming. Let me know what you got once you've come up with something Chris. Much appreciated.

Otherwise, I'm going to just keep the format as is for right now. Until I've found an easy way to sort them.

I do like the idea though and I think it was a good one @Baggi thx for chiming in with that one!

Friday 1/6/17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:

[​IMG]

7. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

No problem fellas. Just thinking out loud. Don't waste your valuable time on my musings. But thanks for chiming in.

8. Stockaholic

Monday 1/9/17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

Baggi likes this.
  9. Stockaholic

Monday 1/9/17 After-Hours Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

10. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Still 1 for 1. Haven't found anything else to play yet. Maybe tomorrow.

11. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Gonna get interesting when the banks begin to report this Friday :D

12. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

It's tough to do (maybe can do it for select sectors though).
    That HELE beat will be in mind when ULTA comes up.

13. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I'm on the sidelines, but really interested. Could be "sell the news", seeing as how gold actually went up after the hawkish FOMC minutes.

14. Stockaholic

Tuesday 1/10/17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

Tuesday 1/10/17 After-Hours Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

15. Stockaholic

Wednesday 1/11/17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

Wednesday 1/11/17 After-Hours Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

T0rm3nted likes this.
  16. Stockaholic

Thursday 1/12/17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

17. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

This explains why, when I closed my position earlier this morning DAL was only changed by 1 cent. Which is always what I want to see when I sell options on earnings.

18. Stockaholic

Friday 1/13/17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]

19. aaa

aaa Member

Welcome fourth quarter earnings season. This season is important - not only because investors are keen to know if the positive stock market sentiment post Trump elections will be reflected in delivery of corporate earnings / profits, but also because it will set the tone for corporate America's expectations of future earnings under Trump regime and provide guidance on the sanity of market valuations

Financials and Energy will definitely be the stars this season as Trump policy expectations of lower regulation, higher rates under his regime, OPEC deal put these sectors in a sweet spot. However, other sectors like technology, healthcare, consumer staples, industrials, telecoms and materials are also expected to deliver earnings growth this year.

But these factors could spoil the party:
    1) Investors will be keenly watching for CEO guidance for future outlook. There remains a possibility of CEOs not reflecting investor enthusiasm about future in their projections, given lack of policy specifics. Not so upbeat earnings projections may have implications for the stock market as investors worry about over-stretched valuations in absence of strong earnings.
    2) With more than 2/5 of sales of S&P 500 companies coming in from outside the US, a strong dollar also might spoil the earnings expectations for multinationals, as it could potentially hit their revenues. It remains to be seen if the drag from a strong dollar will be offset by Trump's tax reform and healthier domestic outlook. Investors should carefully evaluate currency neutral earnings estimates.

Read more here about this week's upcoming earnings reports here: http://hubs.ly/H05Vm9r0

20. Stockaholic

Tuesday 1.17.17 Pre-Market Earnings Results:
    [​IMG]