Search function and terms less than 4 characters

Discussion in 'Forum support' started by StockJock-e, Apr 11, 2016.

1. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

If you type in JPM, you will not get the desired result because at the moment the server requires four characters in search.

Instead, just JPM*, the server will see that as four characters and it should work!

Thanks for your patience while we work out the kinks!

#1 StockJock-e, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2019
    stock1234 and BermudianOption like this.
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Another way to search is by company name. It should always find it that way until @stockjock-e gets the search function figured out!

stock1234 likes this.
  3. rik8shot

rik8shot New Member

How do I pull up an old HSM thread?

4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

It's currently not possible. You will have to re-create it, or request it to be created and then I or someone can start it.

I believe @Gil Oren is still working on getting the old HSM database ported over.

5. BermudianOption

BermudianOption Well-Known Member

Bump. This is definitely something I was wondering about.

6. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

yo @BermudianOption! nice to see you back man! i gotta be honest i didn't think you would be returning again (especially after your e-mail reply to me the other day) ... but it's pretty sweet to see you're back at it here again!

for those that don't know BO ... he's one of the "original" members from the old HSM boards.

him and i go a waaaaaaaay back. (we're talking 10+ years back!)

it's really awesome to have you around here at the community again.

BermudianOption likes this.
  7. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

It is one useful little trick :D I used to type the whole company name but with this trick I can be a little lazier

8. BermudianOption

Thanks Big Bear. The markets are doing so good nowadays that I need to talk to others about it haha. Keep riding others via email every now and then and I'm sure they'll check back in out of curiosity or something.

Stockaholic likes this.
  9. BermudianOption

Is there a workaround for stock that only have 1-2 sybmols? I tried adding multiple asterisks but no dice.

Also on a somewhat related (and perhaps overly technical) note, the search queries appear to be based off of something other than the symbol in the address bar. For example I did a search on Apple below
    https://stockaholics.net/search/3338305/?q=AAPL&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Via Google Chrome's Search Engine feature, I can make the symbol a variable while the rest of the address characteristics remain constant. It makes finding threads and commenting on them very easy. However, for some reason, the variable appears to be locked into something other than the symbol variable in the address bar perhaps? When I change the link to direct from AAPL to MNKD, it still returns the AAPL results:
    https://stockaholics.net/search/3338305/?q=MNKD&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Is there another variable that I am overlooking or something funky going on in the back-end? Not a pressing issue by any means but definitely something quirky that I used to be able to do on the HSM website.

10. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure I'm quite following the question/comment here. What I can tell you, is that if a symbol is less than 4 characters long (3 characters or less), I just search using one of the words of the company. For example, let's say I want to find AMD. I would search using the word "micro". However, the search function is not great on this site, so I would actually search for *micro*. The * symbol acts as a wildcard for ANYTHING before and ANYTHING after the word micro.

upload_2017-11-3_13-28-1.png

If the company symbol is 4 characters, that's self-explanatory and you can just search for the symbol.

Let's say there's a company with a long name, you can even search for part of it the same way I searched for *micro* above. For example, STZ - Constellation Brands. You don't have to type the whole word out. You can just type *const*, and you'll find any thread that has those 5 letters in succession.

upload_2017-11-3_13-30-27.png

The problem that you may be talking about however, is sometimes the search appears to not "reset" itself once you search for something. If you search the exact same thing twice, you should find what you are looking for. For example, with the *const* search I just did above and screenshot, that was actually the 2nd time I searched for that string of characters. The first time I searched it I got this, which is obviously not correct:

upload_2017-11-3_13-33-1.png

I searched it a second time immediately after that search resulted in the wrong results, and got the correct result which is what I posted above.

I'm not sure if either @StockJock-e or @bigbear0083 have a fix for that (or any of the search results) for that matter. I searched the xenforo forums previously to try to find an add-on feature with better search capabilities, but I don't have the access to try them out on a dummy site/non-live site to see if they yield better search results.

11. BermudianOption

Can a mod confirm whether there is a thread for ZNGA? I feel like there should be since it is a popular stock but I can't find it via the search feature or through Google Search

12. Stockaholic

13. BermudianOption

14. stock1234

[​IMG]

JD.com, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as an e-commerce company and retail infrastructure service provider in the People's Republic of China. It operates in two segments, JD Mall and New Businesses. The company offers home appliances; mobile handsets and other digital products; desktop, laptop, and other computers, as well as printers and other office equipment; furniture and household goods; apparel; cosmetics, personal care items, and pet products; women's shoes, bags, jewelry, and luxury goods; men's shoes, sports gears, and fitness equipment; automobiles and accessories; mother and childcare products, toys, and instruments; and food, beverage, and fresh produce. It also provides gifts, flowers, and plants; nutritional supplements; books, e-books, music, movie, and other media products; and virtual goods, such as online travel agency, attraction tickets, and prepaid phone and game cards, as well as consumer electronic products. In addition, the company offers an online marketplace for third-party sellers to sell products to customers; and transaction processing and billing, value-added fulfillment, and other services. Further, it provides online marketing services for suppliers, merchants, and other partners; logistics services for various industries; consumer financing services to individual customers; and supply chain financing services to suppliers and merchants. Additionally, the company offers online-to-offline solutions for customers and offline retailers, as well as online and in-person payment options and customer services. JD.com, Inc. offers its products through its Website jd.com and mobile apps, as well as directly to customers. As of December 31, 2017, JD.com, Inc. operated 7 fulfillment centers and 486 warehouses in 78 cities covering various counties and districts. The company has strategic cooperation agreement with Tencent Holdings Limited and Vipshop Holdings Ltd. JD.com, Inc. is headquartered in Beijing, China.

15. Stockaholic

The Stockaholics search is still acting wonky I see. I was able to pick up this thread on a google search but not on the forum. :confused: Anyway I went ahead and merged for ya @stock1234 so there aren’t duplicates. ;)

16. stock1234

Thanks Cy :) Sorry I did use the search box and typed in "JD" and couldn't find this thread somehow, my mistake :confused:

17. Stockaholic

Haha looks like there was yet another JD thread that was created by the late TTT. :(

I’ll merge into this thread instead since the other one didn’t have many posts in it.

18. Stockaholic

Np! Yeah the forum search here is really out of whack unfortunately. It’s never really worked since day #1 when we moved into here that I can remember and none of the workarounds work either it seems. :confused:

19. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

You need to search for at least 4 characters. The asterisk (*) symbol can act as a wildcard as well. Doesn't really work for this one as it's got the very short company name in the form of a website. For example though, it's normally better to search the COMPANY name instead of the ticker if it's shorter than 4 characters. If you're not sure how to spell it, just take 4 characters that you know are in a row. If the company is something like Lowe's, when the thread was created you aren't sure if it had the apostrophe or not, so in order to find it for sure you would search for "Lowe*" without the quotation marks obviously. The asterisk will act as a wildcard and basically search for anything with "lowe" in it. Doesn't matter what comes after. If you want to search for the middle of a company name or something you would add asterisks before and after. So for somethign like Dick's sporting Goods, you could search for "*sport*" and it would find it. Sure would be nice to get it tweaked though so searches didn't have to be 4 characters long in order to find anything.

Stockaholic likes this.
  20. stock1234

Thanks @T0rm3nted :) Maybe make it a sticky thread somewhere on how to do the searches here, I can remember for now but I probably will forget how to do it again in a few months :p

T0rm3nted likes this.