GHL - Greenhill & Co. Inc.

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Rock Sexton, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

GHLfinviz.JPG

Greenhill & Co., Inc
    ., together with its subsidiaries, operates as an independent investment bank for corporations, partnerships, institutions, and governments worldwide. The company provides financial advisory services primarily related to mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, financings, and capital raisings. It is involved in the provision of advisory services to clients in relation to domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, and other strategic transactions, as well as various stages of these transactions, from initial structuring to final execution.

The company also advises clients on strategic matters, such as activist response, defensive tactics, special committee projects, licensing deals, joint ventures, valuation, negotiation tactics, industry dynamics, structuring alternatives, and timing and pricing of transactions, as well as financing alternatives. In addition, it engages in advising debtors, creditors, governments, pension funds, and other stakeholders in companies experiencing financial distress, as well as acquirers of distressed companies and assets.

Further, the company assists the clients, who seek court-assisted reorganizations by developing and seeking approval for plans of reorganization, as well as in the implementation of such plans. It also assists general partners and sponsors in raising capital for new private funds; and provides related advisory services to pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, endowments, and other institutional investors, as well as on secondary market transactions. The company was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in New York, New York.

2. Rock Sexton

I don't have a buy signal yet on this, but am keeping a close watch on seller exhaustion.

Weekly chart shows a quick descent from $30 down to $14.45. You don't often see something drop that hard, that fast down to support and break it without first bouncing and re-testing prior active areas first. Notice the slight piercing of the support and move back inside - this is the kind of "spring" we're looking for.

GHLweekly.JPG

The below is a daily chart for 2017. An auction took place at that POC around 19-20, sellers won and price took a nose dive. It has since broken above the trend line from that move and an HVN (High Volume Node) is currently building. This is important as it represents another price range that is highly active between buyers/sellers. If it continues to stay range-bound down here, it's likely the POC will shift down to those levels and the stock will continue to give bearish signals.

****It's important to note that when the price broke down in July, it never pulled back to re-test the breakdown. This is often because of exuberance on the part of the short sellers. Market Makers will get out of the way during the move, only to revert price back there later on in an attempt to close out orders they still have open. We can't be confident about that until a breakout above the HVN first though.

GHL2017Daily-2.JPG

Here's a closer look of that drop from the 19-20 range. There are two sell climaxes on high volume within' the span of just over a week and yet price is now threatening to break out above the one from 9/5. That should tell you sellers are more than likely exhausted down here.

If it does move above - based on the volume from that candle a short cover should begin. The next resistance would then be found at the stop volume of the prior sell climax. Again stop volume candles typically represent smart money buying within the selling. Should price break out above that level, my opinion is that the move down from 19-20 was overdone.

That $16.00 - $16.25 does represent some minor resistance.

GHL2017Daily-3.JPG

#2 Rock Sexton, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  3. Rock Sexton

High of $17.00 today after an upgrade to "overweight" with an $18.00 PT by Buckingham.

Currently up 16%.

GHLupdate.JPG

#3 Rock Sexton, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    rg7803 and bigbear83 like this.
  4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Where'd you learn this, is there a source I can consult?

5. Rock Sexton

It's not something you're going to find online - you learn it from experience when trading in markets based on auction theory.

Market Makers essentially are no different than bookies. They keep an order book that sometimes they get on the wrong side of.

Does the concept resonate with you is what you must ask yourself. Hopefully it does. The moment I stopped looking at stocks in the generic fashion that most do - everything started coming together for me.

#5 Rock Sexton, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Unicorn Dreams and Jrich like this.
  6. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Yes what you say makes sense, I'm interested in confirmation of my beliefs as well. I was wondering if there was a book/memoir written by a market maker, that touched on their thinking.

7. Rock Sexton

I doubt it.

They wouldn't want there out there for public consumption.

8. Rock Sexton

GHL rockin' out after the tender offer they made on 12 million of their own shares @ 17.25 earlier this week. That's nearly half of the 26 million share free float.

GHLupdate.JPG

9. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I stumbled across a PDF of a book called "Market Makers Edge" a while back.... i lost it when i switched phones, so i didn't get to finish it.... but i remember some basic explanation of what it sounds like Rock is referring too. ....... that sometimes a MM will actually go short to fill institutional orders, even if it results in taking losses

Now im gonna have to download that one again, got my interest back

Rock Sexton likes this.
  10. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Eh... maybe that wasnt it.... i know i read it somewhere :confused:

11. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

12. Rock Sexton

The quote below got quite the laugh out of me. 'Tis why I'm glad I broke away from conventional TA and indicators. What I did with Greenhill's analysis (and others) is not that hard. Just takes reframing how one views the market.

"However, what they do realize is a lot of dumb money does use this newest nitch charting or TA (Technical Analysis) to run a stock either up or down. To the MMs this is like taking candy from a baby. Simply they will paint the tape and use whatever tactic to affect the charting bands. Thus the public and dumb money they will have eating out of their hands."

Unicorn Dreams and Jrich like this.
  13. Unicorn Dreams

GHL looks like a low risk easy play. Expecting it to bounce between the 30ema and 150ema.

14. Unicorn Dreams

Sold half my position, holding a tight stop on other half, likely won't lose money on this trade at this point.

15. Rock Sexton

This monthly chart still keeps jumping out at me. It's a clear-cut double bottom pattern with a massive increase in demand on the re-test = more buyers liked it now then it did in spring 2016.

Seems highly likely to me this will be re-testing that horizontal resistance around the 27 level.

GHL.JPG

Unicorn Dreams likes this.
  16. Unicorn Dreams

I'm already out since it hit my target, but looking for another chance to enter again.

17. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

ghl.png

cup&handle?

Rock Sexton likes this.
  18. Rock Sexton

Man they keep teasing the breach of that 19.00-19.30 level these last couple days.

19. Rock Sexton

Gettin' close here with today's close and new recent high of $19.50.

20. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

Nice move today Rock.
    Do we have a breakout? Lets wait for tomorow.

ghl.png

Rock Sexton likes this.