Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello and Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1337, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 1337

1337 New Member

Hi, I'm new and this is my first post. I'm starting to get into deeper waters for me anyway and I need to post my current portfolio as it is highly targeted and attached to this post in a high-res format.

I am a recent college grad and just got my first job in my field and 3 days shy of 60 days there working remotely I'm laid off due to COVID. Another local grad also worked remotely for this company who contracts for Microsoft, and for all intents and purposes I was a Microsoft employee, I had credentials, access, everything.

I've invested 40% or so I think of what I have, maybe 45%, you'll see my current portfolio. I am temporarily blocked from making more deposits to etrade for the time being because of the moves I made today, I also had to use a contingency that requrired more deposits.

The penny stock, HTBX is just for fun, I'm watching it closely, I had some funds left over after executing my other trades I just decided to play with that one.

I'm looking for any advice as to what to go after next, or what to do with my portfolio as it stands now. I feels unbalanced to me even though I'm in the positive for now. I hear certain SPDR tech sections are tearing it up I hear but I haven't pinned down which ones are responsible.

I don't know what I should do now[​IMG]

2. 姑爺仔

姑爺仔 Member

A lot of different ideas.

Some say diversify. Don't put your eggs in one basket. Spread your money out. If some are down, the portfolio is balanced. Funds will hold 100's of positions. You never find a fund that only holds 5 or 6 stocks. Even with your balance, you can buy 10 or 12 good stocks, even if it's just one share of each. Wal*Mart, IBM, Microsoft, Apple, Costco, Johnson & Johnson, Avalon Bay, Abbvie, Coca Cola, Altria, Home Depot, AT&T, Bank of NY Mellon, Bank of America, Howard Hughes Corporation, Applied Materials, Simon Property Group, Gilead, Intuitive Surgical, Medtronic, United Healthcare, Chubb, Chevron, Amazon, Facebook, Tesla......

Some say own less variety, more quality. You could dump all of that for a few shares of Alphabet, Microsoft, or Apple. Some people only have a dozen or less stocks. High Cap. Fortune 500. Blue Chip. Dividend paying. You could easily sell everything you have right now, buy 1 or 2 shares of Tesla, or Amazon, then let it ride.

Some say find a safe fund. A fund manager could do a better job than you, and you just don't have the money to buy all of those stocks and bonds individually. Funds could be municipal bonds, corporate high yield, infrastructure related, energy, emerging markets, agriculture, Asian markets, Japan, India.......A lot of diversity. Then there are closed end funds, ETF, mutual funds..Load, no load......management fees......And who do you buy from? Just as an example, I will say that BlackRock sells "good" funds. What's that mean? BlackRock is not "fly by night". Return is reasonable, in the sense that they are not promising the impossible. Funds go up and down also. Markets go down, and funds go down. No guarantee that you won't lose money.

3. 1337

1337 New Member

I have $480 pending to the account. They used to pre-credit me or give me instant access. Now now. One deposit clears tomorrow. I'm hoping its the $250 one. I found out how to check so I'll do that now.

Are you saying I shoud have my funds under management at Blackrock? What is the return rate and the fee structure like?

4. 1337

1337 New Member

I will check out BlackRock

5. A55

A55 Active Member

If you want to invest in funds, BlackRock is an option. Look up all of your options. For your dollar amount, funds could be a good option. A fund holds more stocks than you can buy on your own. Some funds are leveraged, allowing the find manager more tools for the job.

Your head will spin. Start reading. Not easy on deciding how to invest. Screenshot_2020-07-20-19-48-15_kindlephoto-452900515.png Screenshot_2020-07-20-19-53-27.png Screenshot_2020-07-20-19-58-51.png Screenshot_2020-07-20-19-59-06.png Screenshot_2020-07-20-19-59-15.png Nothing else you buy in this world, has as many choices.

The Brontide likes this.
  6. The Brontide

The Brontide Active Member

And many of those choices do not perform well against their peers. @A55

@1337 But as said above, you get great endice or sector exposure with funds.

Personally, for "play money investing", I have used Robinhood. No fees and fractional shares available. My trades are mostly immediately executed, and the UI isn't littered with crammed in data. I love em.

As far as my "serious" moneys go, they strictly go to Vanguard.

I personally have never had a fully managed account anywhere. Actually never any type of managed. I have always been self-directed.

That said, I learned a lot and the hard way.

But I have never learned by successes in the markets. My mistakes are what teach me, and the wins are commonly the result of what I have learned in my failures. Thank God it has been a few years under my belt learnin' so I can stay in the green. Or at least solvent. But sometimes I make lucky picks where I can't explain why it even went up. But I try to keep an even keel on my choices.

Disclaimer: Do not take any perceived promotion of the above named brokers as my recommendation for you or anyone else. I am not a pro and everyone else has specific reasons for their investment needs. But it has worked for me. So before you pick any brokers, do your research and compare historical performance of brokers.

Fees do not necessarily make a broker better. Most all funds are already managed and they get paid by the "load" placed on your account. There shouldn't be a need for fully managed broker accounts for managing funds. Ok, maybe if your portfolio is substantial you may have a need for some type of managing.

#6 The Brontide, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  7. A55

A55 Active Member

Nothing wrong with Vanguard. A good company.

On the same note, I do not endorse BlackRock or Brookfield. I have holdings. That doesn't mean that you should run out and buy it, because some guy online says that he owns it. BlackRock has over 1,000 funds. Brookfield has a small handful.

As an example, we can look at a Brookfield fund, just to see that one fund holds over 300 investments, and how they spread it out. Also notice that the dividend is monthly. And if you select a few funds, you can spread your money across a broad spectrum of investments.

Screenshot_20200721-000212_kindlephoto-540655153.png Screenshot_20200721-000124_kindlephoto-540688155.png Screenshot_20200721-000038_kindlephoto-540754184.png Screenshot_20200721-000054_kindlephoto-540724565.png

8. 1337

1337 New Member

Thank you everyone for your advice. Please keep it coming, I sold HTBX today as it is dropping hopelessly. I don't want to screw anything up and I'm such a novice investor I definitely need to do more research but I'm looking for reliable, high growth mutual funds/ETFs/or even stocks.

9. 1337

1337 New Member

I have $469 they have released now

10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Welcome, 1337. :)

1337 likes this.
  11. 1337

1337 New Member

Thank you kindly, sir.

12. 1337

1337 New Member

I see you are online. Any thoughts on my portfolio? I have $489 that is held until the 24th and like $50 on the 27th. Ridiculous, right when I was executing my strategy on etrade and I was making adjustments, deposited another $250 and took advantage of a play I'd been looking at, then suddenly all further deposits were held up and pending.

I'm in a 45 minute chat queue asking if they can pre-credit me some tomorrow or tonight since they have the $489. I have roughly half, not quite in this portfolio

TomB16 likes this.
  13. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm not the right guy to share an opinion. My game is quite apart from anything you are considering.

I would say, however, I'm impressed that you're thinking of investing right out of school. If you can resist trading, you will do very well in life. If you must trade, doing it young is certainly the time to find out if you have a hot hand.

Good for you and good luck with whatever direction you take.

14. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Mr. 1337 has me thinking about life planning and pensions. I’ll bet everyone has an opinion on this. Please consider yourself welcome to share. It may help someone.

I’ve worked for several large corporations and every one of them has tried to fish money out of their pension. They are like rats that see a piece of cheeze behind glass... they want it and they do back flips trying to get it.

If the company responsible for the pension enters bankruptcy protection at some point in your life, there is a very reasonable chance they will get their hands on your pension and you will get an apology for the pension you no longer have. If the company never enters bankruptcy, the odds of them getting hold of your pension are pretty low.

Even when I was young, I didn’t trust corporate pensions. They work out most of the time but it’s not that rare when they don’t.

My wife has a government pension. You would think it’s safe as a church but they have tried to claw it back on more occasions than I can recall. In 2010, they announce that it was in a liability condition and that they were going to fold it up and take some portion of the money. Pension members hired a team of lawyers and put a stop to it but this is not a corner case.

I have had a few corporate pensions and there has been an attempt to annex the funds from each of them.

As a 20 something person, just starting a career, I would make sure to start my own pension so I can be confident I will have something on the day I realize if I have to go to work one more day I’ll gouge my brains out with spade bit in a power drill.

Start buying shares in 3 to 5 hard working, well run, companies that pay a dividend. Just pick up some shares each month and hold them. Don’t trade. If you must trade, do it aggressively to get it out of your system ASAP so you can get back to the job of creating a future for yourself. Don’t quote these stock every day. Just buy them each month with your savings and ignore the price.

Others will tell you to buy an S&P 500 index. I don’t disagree but that is not my recommendation.

If you have a corporate pension, that's fantastic. It will very likely be there for you but your own savings are certain to be there.

15. A55

A55 Active Member

Cancer immunotherapy. Company started in 08. Went public in 13. IPO buzz rocketed the stock. Then it fell flat, became a penny stock, and stayed that way. Company has not been able to bring a drug to market. When it comes to pharmaceutical companies, my preference is companies that actually have drugs on the market.

How did you decide on that stock?

By the way, I wasn't too clear on BlackRock. I am not invested in a fund that they sell. I own BlackRock stock.

Excellent advice. Companies which are well known and profitable. Chevron, Coca Cola, Johnson and Johnson are all doing well right now. Just look around you. You are surrounded by good stocks every day. Phone company, electric utility, grocery store.....make money with them as they are taking your money. Not the best examp!e, but: I drive a Ford - I own Ford stock. I shop from Amazon, I hold Amazon. I buy gas, GTY owns gas stations.

It is hard in the beginning. You don't have big money, and e think about budget. For 100 shares of HTBX, you could have bought 3 Chevron, 6 Coke, or 2 JnJ. All Blue Chip dividend stocks. Then after a year of parking your money in Chevron or whatever, and collecting dividends, you can trade up. Sell it and buy a share of Amazon. Keep trading up, and you will get to Berkshire Hathaway.

TomB16 likes this.
  16. A55

A55 Active Member

Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-27-12_kindlephoto-495100230.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-17-21.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-17-58.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-18-24.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-18-58.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-19-32.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-20-03.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-20-38.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-21-15.png Screenshot_2020-07-21-19-22-16.png For about the same $3+¢hange you bought HTBX at, there's an Aberdeen fund with dividends. The ticker symbol is FAX

I'm not saying that you should buy it. Look at the chart. Examine the portfolio. Do those holdings look safe? Are you comfortable with the dividend? Do you feel that this fund has potential for growth?

17. The Brontide

The Brontide Active Member

Well, I think real solid advice to a young Grad,...

Build and max out your 401k or IRA while you are young. I mean stuff it full now while you can.

Life changes fast, and next thing you know, the new person in your life, maybe some children, and house, a car from time to time, unplanned emergency,.. I could go on.

But suddenly you are 50 or so looking back and worried about your elder future, and kicking yourself for not acting like a well thought grown up when you were young.

So if you can save, take advantage of the tax benefit and the 40 some odd years you have can dollar cost average your way to a very comfy retirement.

Having a side brokerage account at your age to trade post tax monies into stocks is a great learning tool. And when you are ready, you can get more aggressive with this.

But first, avoid debt, and save the hell out of your 401k or IRA. If you don't touch it untill you retire, the compounding you will experience will make you happy and comfortable.

TomB16 likes this.