Hi! I'm Paul from Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pfar54, Jul 13, 2016.

1. pfar54

pfar54 New Member

Greetings everyone! I'm 28 and my background is in marketing and I own a web development company. I am just now getting into stocks and looking for my first investment. I have always wanted to do this, but always put it off, usually due to financial restraints. However, now I am ready to jump into this world. Other than a finance class and some stock projects way back in High School I don't have too much education on investing or the stock market. I came here to learn and possibly get some help along the way.

For now, I will only be putting small amounts of funds into stocks as I learn along the way. I feel doing this is better than a virtual/fake scenario. I took my first steps yesterday and joined Acorns to earn a small amount on the extra change I put into it. I also joined robinhood and this is where I will be purchasing my stock from. I deposited a small amount of $50 into robinhood and this is what I will do my small test with and as I see incremental steps of further understanding I will keep adding funds to it. I know $50 isn't much, but I need to start somewhere. So, my strategy for now is to look for some shares around the $5-$10 range and buy a share or two from a couple of different companies. I don't want to say I will be "throwing money around", but it will sort of be like that until I find the right way to do it and that is why I deposited such a small amount.

I know researching companies is a great way to tell how well a stock may do, but what are some good sources for a beginner like myself? Right now I am holding back just going in and purchasing anything to just get it started. I want to ideally get off on the right foot. I have been browsing yahoo finance a lot and doing a lot of google searches on companies, but are there better channels of finding or projecting how well a stock may do?

Sorry for the question in this post, but figured it was too newb'ish for any other section on this forum.

Tiptopptrader and StockJock-e like this.
  2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Welcome!

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Robinhood is a great way to get involved in the markets with small amounts of money! I wish I had that when I started!

3. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard @pfar54. There are a lot of good places to check the fundamentals of stocks. You could start with your online brokerage company for one.

Good luck in your trading...TTT

4. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

5. pfar54

pfar54 New Member

Thanks everyone.

I am trying to gather some information from this site, but everything seems so complex. Where would a good starting point be to learn about what to look at to determine if a stock is worth investing in (other than researching the company). Also how do you all find out about companies or even know what companies are available for trade. Do you just type in random stock symbols?

6. OldFart

Most trading sites have a "symbol lookup"....just type in the name of the company, and it'll show you their stock symbol, or some symbols that match the company name.

finviz has a lot of info for free:

http://finviz.com/

pfar54 likes this.
  7. pfar54

pfar54 New Member

Thanks @OldFart . I knew about the symbols...just wasn't sure if there was a large database out there that listed them all with brief info. That site (finviz) has some nice info.

I'm not too sure on this decision, but I purchased on share of BLE to see how the robinhood app works. They definitely make it easy to buy. I bought the stock as it was down and based on my current knowledge is looked like a good buy? Not too sure to be honest.

OldFart likes this.
  8. OldFart

@pfar54

I also have a robinhood account. Good company, and zero commissions... I love it! I use finviz ( free version ) to look at some charts + news, etc.
    I can't wait till they start trading options.

Not sure about BLE. Never traded it before...good luck on it though!

9. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Ah you want to find a list of good stocks. One place where you can find a list is http://beststocksnowapp.com/. Check the stocks rankings (but they can change quickly) and the sector rankings.

etf.com has http://www.etf.com/etfanalytics/etf-finder
    See if a sector interests you, then look up the ETF, eg etf.com/SPY and scroll down to the bottom to see what is in the ETF.

http://www.barchart.com/stocks/signals/top100 is good, but may be overload

So there's some choices. To avoid overload, pick one and start making a list of stocks that are interesting, then start whittling down.

pfar54 likes this.
  10. Ciao (Sheppy)

Ciao (Sheppy) Well-Known Member

Hi pfar54 and a welcome from me as well :)

11. pfar54

pfar54 New Member

Thanks everyone!