Hopefully old dog can learn new tricks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IPFRLY, Mar 4, 2021.

1. IPFRLY

IPFRLY New Member

Hi everyone! I am just a ER nurse looking for a side hustle; my back is starting to hurt. I am not OLD, or young. I am a middle aged, humble, family man who wants to retire early.

I was lured to the stock markets wanting to make the quick buck. Back in the late 90’s I had a practice account and actually did well. I never had money to risk so never did get in. Now, I have some money to learn with, but this market, without lack of better words, is wack.

I took a couple classes in currency trading year 2004; I am some what knowledgeable about candles, trends, etc. The market today does not move like this. I just started a month ago with a very small amount of money to see if I could double or triple. I am now a bag holder in some pot stock, EV, and CPSH.

I have recently noticed that large groups of people are either pumping, then dumping; or shorting. Many of stock trend charts look like a Stegosaurus. You buy the dip, then it slowly depreciates. I am scared I missed the ride.

I am hoping to learn and participate in this forum and ultimately succeed in my goal of retiring earlier.

#1 IPFRLY, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Its an interesting time in the markets.

Sounds like you were around in the 2000 bubble.

It feels the same now. The thing is, as we learned before, that bubbles can go on for longer than expected.

IPFRLY likes this.
  3. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

Welcome, IPFRLY!

I started out bag-holding way too often. My recommendation is you dump the penny stocks and anything you're hearing about (getting pumped to hell and back) and concentrate on good solid companies at great prices. Right now might be a good time to start putting cash into a few solid ideas since the market is in a correction sort of mood.

You are using products in your job and at work; which ones impress you? What are you seeing more of? What are your co-workers raving about?

spindr0 and IPFRLY like this.
  4. IPFRLY

IPFRLY New Member

Philips monitoring systems, Glidescope, Bladder Scan, Stryker beds...

5. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

Oooo!

I'm assigning you homework, young man! Find out the companies that make these products, and see if they're publicly traded!

Pop Quiz in *looks at watch* One week. ;)

IPFRLY likes this.
  6. IPFRLY

IPFRLY New Member

Philips monitoring = Philips healthcare owned by Koninklijke Philips N.V. (PHG)
    Glidescope and Bladder scan produced by Verathon, owned by Roper (ROP)
    Stryker = Stryker Corp. (SYK)

Syynik likes this.