HP - Helmerich & Payne, Inc.

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by T0rm3nted, May 3, 2016.

1. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Helmerich & Payne, Inc. (HP) is a petroleum contract drilling company engaged in oil and gas well drilling for exploration and production companies headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with operations throughout the world. Their FlexRigs, introduced in 1998, have been used extensively in drilling unconventional shale formations, such as the Permian Basin in Texas, Bakken formation in North Dakota and the Eagle Ford formation in Texas. The company is part of the S&P 500 stock market index.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Reported before open today (5/2/16)
    Earnings: EPS -$0.24 Revenue $438.2M
    Estimates: EPS -$0.22 Revenue $393.7M

Down 4.64% today

3. fidelgeorge

fidelgeorge Well-Known Member

Shown strong support even with BS Suntrust downgrade. Expect accumulation to continue and run into mid 70s.

Jack Levy and Charles Noble like this.
  4. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Seems like these past years Helmerich & Payne almost always presents an ugly price chart. Given it's dividend aristocrat status (46 years of increasing divies), it's been a fairly predictable yield trader --- whenever average yield ranges too high over the mean (the current 4-year average is about 5.2%), the price (and thus the yield) have reverted to the mean. Since 2016, I've traded against the yield 3 times and have been happy with the results:

Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 4.38.43 PM.png

Looking at the far right of the chart above appears to present the mother of all yield snap-backs in the making. So I dabbled a bit today and sold a few 35 strike puts for next week's expiration.

Remember, though, the chart is ugly. Were I not fairly comfortable with HP's story and the price action from previous trading, I can't imagine giving this one a second look in the oil sector, certainly not over something like XOM (which is also presenting some crazy above-average yields these days). In the name of confirmation bias, I cherry picked a consolation indicator in the form of "On Balance Volume," which has held up pretty well with a higher value today than when HP dropped sub-40 back in 2017.

Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 4.41.03 PM.png