I'm Back... Questions about the When to Buy?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by ddebrazza, Mar 13, 2022.

1. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

Hello Friends, after being broke there for quite some time, I have finally gotten myself back into a position to start investing again. I have been following the Russia-Ukraine conflict almost obsessively, as been paying attention to the stock market in turn.

Many stocks have already hit 52-week lows or are very close and to me, this poses a good potential buy opportunity, no? what are you guys' thoughts on the current market and the future?

I was thinking of making the following move Monday- Tuesday while keeping a close ear on any possible agreement between Russia and Ukraine for a ceasefire, which could come as early as Monday.

Here are the buys I was thinking:
    FB- Meta @ 187.00
    MCHP- Microchip Technologies @ 69.10
    PTON- Peloton @21.15 *my gamble stock, just 1-2 shares)
    ALLY- Ally Financial @41.38
    RUN- SunRun @29.22
    PYPL- PayPal @95.82
    KKR- KKR @52.07

What do ya'll think

I should be back to spending a decent amount of time. Hoping to start work next week and start saving a bit each week.

Crypto has not been kind to me over the last 12-13 months, I am down about 20% there but still positive on the longterm outlook.

2. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

What are your views on how the conflict ends and when do you think the markets will start trending back up again??

3. gtrudeau88

gtrudeau88 Well-Known Member

My method of picking stocks, successful for the most part, is different from most. I looked at both ally and fb and I think they are plausible.

• Both are below what analyst see as the 12 month low and you would do well should it reach the median
    • Fb seems to have dropped mostly since the invasion. Depending on how long this goes for, you may have to wait a while before seeing it move
    • Remember that stocks in general were weak in jan and feb, before the invasion. I think there are plenty of good stocks that are cheap right now. Hd for example is more than 20% down right now ytd.
    • I don't have time to look at fundamentals right now. You should before you buy. I know ally but I don't even know what fb makes or does.

#3 gtrudeau88, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the conflict will last at bare minimum something like 6 months. I think the market will start adjusting soon, but that's just a guess. I'm a believer that it doesn't really impact us here in the west for the most part, in fact it should overall be profitable in the long-term. I'm pumping as much in to my 401k right now as I can.

5. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I'm looking for stuff too, watching what happens today.
    Looks like last week March 8 may have been the worst of things.

6. Value543

Value543 Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

Some of those names -- specifically FB & PYPL based purely on the fact I'm also tracking them -- are so beaten down compared to their sector peers. To me, this suggests that while I firmly believe the market has a lot more room to go down, those names in particular have already been hammered to death. Therefore, those names should see comparatively less downside. AAPL is tettering & has not seen 50% destruction like FB has...when it falls, you'll see big % drops there, but lesser % loses in FB since it's already down 50%. I hope that makes sense...

I'd personally add ZM to your list. But of note, I am approaching all of these from a technical perspective vs. an investment perspective. In other words, I have zero thoughts or even opinion on FB, PYPL, or ZM's fundamentals & whether or not those fundamentals signal they'll go to $0. They will bounce if / before they do...and when they do, I believe the bounce will be epic (as is often the case when a stock goes to $0, frankly).

7. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

Wow, this forum has slowed down quite a bit since I last was here....

Thank you for the feedback. Based on my own research and massive amount of time studying various data, I cant see this conflict going more than another month. I dont think Russia can stand another month of sanctions, domestic turmoil, and losses on the battlefield. I think they will look to end this conflict relatively quickly. But, I could be wrong....

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Monday on FB, PYPL, ALLY, KKR, AMZN, TSLA, and CRWD (CrowdStrike)

So far, all are in the green. Anywhere from (+0.5% ALLY) to (+4.65% TSLA), up +2.4% overall

I just saw too much opportunity to not try to put some skin in the game.... Hopefully it pays off.

Any other stocks to like?

@Value543 ; really with ZM? I see that as another Peloton, a business drastically supported by the Pandemic. Im staying away from ZM for now.

8. Value543

Value543 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, it certainly has...but in a way, I think it feels more connected because the core group is smaller & interacts more.

If you got a stomach for risk, you cannot beat some of the Chinese stocks right now. They've been :horse: to unbelievable levels. I'd take a look at KWEB since it is 1) an ETF; and 2) converting it's shares to Hong Kong. But again...only if you can stomach risk!

Yup, really with ZM -- as I said, I'm not investing in it...I'm positioning for a technical bounce.

9. andyvds

andyvds Active Member

Might be a good time to step into TQQQ.

10. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

Well, so far my moves made Monday have paid off and I am up 11% on the week so far. Not bad to make 71$ off of just 650$.

I have another 150$ to put into play possibly tomorrow depending on what things look like, those sweet deals are quickly starting to disappear. Even though some are down as much as 50%, I dont anticipate a full recovery to those levels, maybe level out around the 20-25% mark.

Crypto has absolutely killed me over the last 12 months, hopefully this next year shows at least SOME recovery on the crypto markets.

Tomorrows moves are leaning towards:
    DKNG- DraftKings (20$)
    MFST- Microsoft (70$)
    CRM- Salesforce (50$)