Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Important Notice: Possible changes coming in 2020

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Hi everyone!

I thought now was maybe a good time to get this thread up in here while I had a few minutes on this afternoon before needing to head off for the remainder of the day.

As we are nearing the closure of Q3 (next Monday! :eek:) and with only 3 months left to the trading year, I thought I would catch you guys all up to speed on some of the changes that may be coming down the pike here in 2020 as far as these competitions are concerned on the forums here.

OK, first things first here -- as I'm sure you guys may have noticed for much of this year, I have been keeping extremely busy with life, work etc. Really ever since the start of the summer, my daily schedule has been brutally challenging. For the exception of the early mornings where I might have a few minutes on to post some pre-market news in the daily market thread, I barely get any time to log in and post on the forums anymore. :(

Today (Friday) I was lucky enough to find some free time to update some threads on the forums, etc. Usually Friday's are like my only days where I can ever find any free time for the boards, and that's mainly in the afternoons.

Anyway, not to bore you guys out with all of this. I do need to make an important announcement in here for all of you who participate on these contests here on Stockaholics, and prepare you guys for what may be coming in the new year. Unfortunately, I think I will be needing to retire a couple of our contest formats next year due to my aforementioned "challenging daily work/life schedule".

The formats to be retired in question here are the dailies and the quarterlies. I think I should be okay with continuing to run the weeklies and the monthlies at the very least. But, if that should change at any point between now and the end of this year I would be sure to give you all a heads up to let y'alls know in advance so no one is left scratching their heads wondering what happened. :p

^^
    EDIT: Oh and also the Weekly T/A Charting Challenge is also up in the air as far as if I will be continuing to run that next year as well. Stay tuned for that one!

I have been running these contests here at this community coming up on 8 years now. Wowzers! I don't think I have ever missed a beat running these contests since taking over for simonyadig (stock picking contests), and Mark Vierra (market direction polls) on the old HSM going waaaaaaaay back when. It is absolutely mind blowing to me to think these contests have lasted as long as they have. I would have never imaged they would still be running today. But, yet here we are. :p

This has been long overdue for me, as I have been meaning to come on here to make some kind of a statement about potentially retiring these contest formats in the near future.

I'll have to be super honest with you all, and I try not to mention this too much during the year as to not irritate any of you with constantly bringing it up, but truthfully this year in particular has been extremely challenging for me running the contests. Challenging in terms of not having the time to dedicate for them. The dailies in particular can admittedly be very stressful sometimes because it is a lot of work to run them. Don't get me wrong though! I love running them as much as all of you guys enjoy participating on them. :D It's just...I don't really get much time to run/manage them on a daily basis anymore. When I come on at the end of each trading day I'm so super stressed from the day already, the constant updating of the threads each day can get incredibly overwhelming.

I have also thought about maybe passing these contests on to someone who might be willing and eager to take them on? I'm not really sure who might have the time to run these on a daily basis, but if you think that might be you please chime into this thread here so we can discuss.

Anyway, this post is getting a bit winded! I just felt like I needed to get this thread up right now while I had some time on this afternoon. I really just never know if I'll get an opportunity like this to write this out in here haha.

Thanks everyone for reading this all out! :)

This thread will be likely be getting updated frequently as we inch closer to year end, so stay tuned for updates!

Three Eyes likes this.
  2. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

It is all good Cy, I know it is a lot of work especially when the new quarter starts. What contests are you planning to cancel starting from next year? Maybe the monthly and the quarterly contests?

bigbear0083 likes this.
  3. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Oh man you aren't kiddin' there! Those end of quarters can be hugely stressful no doubt haha.

So, as I mentioned in my OP, the daily and quarterly would likely be the one's to go. I think I should be okay with keeping the weekly and monthly formats running next year. I would be sure to make an official announcement about that before 2020 gets underway though.

It's just....the daily updating of those those threads can get really overwhelming sometimes. I just don't think I can continue to do that next year.

To be honest the dailies are maybe my favorite format of all the formats I run here. It's of course the most work too. :(

4. stock1234

Fully understand Cy. Daily is my favorite too but it requires the most work like you said. Maybe we just do direction for the daily next year and do picks in the other contests that you will keep, would it reduce your workload a little bit. Anyway thanks for running these contests here ;)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  5. stock1234

Just do whatever you feel the best though Cy, I am just trying to throw in some suggestion and ideas, would be ok with whatever you decide with those contests ;)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  6. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

Last year I tried to reduce my participation time and dropped the weeklies in favor of the weekly TAs. I'm thinking next year I will be dropping all contests. I did some this year just to help out with participation but it's time I could put to better use like executing my own trading routines.

I will say this though:
    • the quarterlies and monthlies are a pain for me because they often don't coincide with a weekend.
    • I'm not a stock picker, I'm a trader, therefore I have little interest in hunting down high performers but I do appreciate seeing the picks of those who are good pickers
    • the weekly TA is too short of a time frame and consequently the picks are usually in phase B of a short-term trading range and thus reduced to a 50/50 guess.
    • appreciate your efforts and have always said you need a rest from these contests

#6 Onepoint272, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    bigbear0083 likes this.
  7. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

I completely understand @bigbear0083 and thank you for all of the time and energy you have spent on the contests.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  8. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Complete agreement with @bigbear0083 and all the follow-ups here! I am *always* in favor of improving that life-balance thing.

bigbear0083 likes this.