Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Long term investments

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Kidbooo, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Kidbooo

Kidbooo New Member

Hello everyone,,
    Has anyone even held stocks for more than 10 to 20 years on this board? Seems like a bunch of newbies that just started investing 1 to 3 years and panic at this correction as if it is an apocalypse impending and that once the mobdro.bio/ luckypatcher.tips/ www.kodi.bio/ market tanked 50% they will buy in because they all have PhDs in timing. What if this scenario doesn't even occur? What if skyrockets in a week, stays flat or plunge 80% with no bottom in sight? Are you gonna stay on sidelines and yell okay well the next time till you're retired? If so you're a speculator not an investor...

#1 Kidbooo, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. TomB16

TomB16 Active Member

Hi Kidboo.

I haven't held any single issue more than 20 years, although I've held S&P500 in multiple forms for about 25 years.

I've held, and am currently holding, four stocks that have been in my possession for over a decade. These positions have been small until recently, as we used to be heavily biased toward real estate.

I recommend you check out "The Long Term Investor" thread in which WXYZ discusses long term investing, his strategy, and he even goes into specific holdings on occasion. Of particular interest to me is his insights into boredom and how important it is to remain strategically simple.

We are in the vast, vast, minority but there are investors here and a couple of us know the difference between investing and speculating. Some of us have even read Ben Graham's book from which you onboarded your religious distinction between investment and speculation. That's where I picked up the same distinction.

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Active Member

HELLO Kidbooo

Yes I have held some stocks for more than 10-20 years. My mom held MANY stock more than 20 years. YES, as TomB16 said, see THE LONG TERM INVESTOR thread. The REALITY is that the majority of people in the country ARE long term investors.....in their 401K. Outside of that vehicle, I would guess not. But, that would be because I dont see many people that have a taxable brokerage account, especially those under age 40 or 45.

Actually there were some stocks that my mom had in her account that she held for 50 years. One example is Phillip Morris. She inherited 14 shares in 1964 and those shares were held till 50 years later. Those 14 shares with reinvesting all dividends, splits, and other events grew to over 12,000 shares over that time and when I took over managing her account we had to stop reinvesting dividends because the position was too big of a percentage of her total account.

Between my mom and my and various family accounts we held many stocks for 10-20 years or more. Stocks like KO, PM, JNJ, PG, MMM, PEP, CL and others. Big cap, American, dividend paying, iconic product, companies. At the moment our various family accounts have held COST and NKE for more than 20 years. We have also held the SP500 index, Dodge & Cox Stock Fund and Fildelity Contra Fund for more than 20 years. In the past we held Fidelity Magellan fund for more than 10 years, perhaps more than 20 years, I dont remember that was a long time ago. I have invested in a taxable brokerage account for over 45+ years and "I"...............over that time have been fully invested all the time, through every good and bad economic event that has occurred, except for the one time period that I sold out everything in May 2008 to March 2009 when I fully bought back in and have been fully invested as usual since.

If you are interested in LONG TERM INVESTING there is MUCH good information in the LONG TERM INVESTOR thread. Start at the first post and read forward. A good portion of the info is my personal investing experience over 45+ years as well as research and analysis. Feel free to post on that thread anything you wish, agree or disagree, your experiences, your results, your ideas, whatever you wish to contribute.....