My stocks listed on TD are higher than what I paid

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Gregory Boasberg, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Gregory Boasberg

Gregory Boasberg New Member

I just checked my TDameritrade account and the listed prices of my stocks are higher than what I originally paid. This is very unusual. Has anybody ever heard of or experienced this? Please help

2. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Are u saying the stock has gone up and been profitable? And this is unusual? Lol. Im not sure im tracking the question.

3. Gregory Boasberg

No, for instance I bought 300 shares of XPEV at $42 a share and then the following day it said I paid $47 for each share. The shares are listed at more than I initially paid. Have you ever heard of this? And it was not just for that one stock either.

4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

The book cost of the shares includes transaction fees. It appears you bought 2 shares.

5. Gregory Boasberg

You know what, I think I know what happened and I’ve only been trading for six months and this has never happened. I had a $21 per share position in xyz sold it all and then the following day bought it at $15. The following day from When I bought it at $15 it jumped back to the original position of $21. I suppose TD Ameritrade has an issue with selling shares and buying them the next day at a lower price. What’s wrong with that? Are there other platforms that don’t penalize this? Maybe Webull? This is what swing traders do. Please advise.

6. hacker

hacker New Member

If you take a loss on a stock on the date of sale, then buy back the stock in less than 30 days, it is considered a wash sale, and is not allowed to be used for tax purposes. The loss amount is used to adjust the basis cost of the stock, The brokers have lots of software crap that makes these adjustments in price. In fact it can drive you nuts. I try to avoid ever doing that, but it is hard to do.