Needs some help with research

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Jim Clark, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Jim Clark

Jim Clark New Member

My wife, who was a widow when I married her, found two common stock certificates for Abbott Labs that is still in her late husbands late name. She realize that she will have to reopen the estate (she was the executor). I’ll tell you about of them to make it easier. The first one was dated May 31st, 1990 and it was notated for 26 shares.

Since 1990 how much would those 26 shares be worth today?

If you can find the value of this one I’ll share the information of the second one. I just didn’t want to do an overload.

2. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

Abbott Laboratories NYSE: ABT.

Abbott's share price is about $85 x 26 shares = $2,210.

3. Jim Clark

Jim Clark New Member

They were purchased in 1990. I believed there were multiple splits and dividends paid def etc. not sure how that works.

4. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

I figured it had to be more complicated than price x shares and will have to defer to a more knowledgeable person. If all else fails walk in to one of your local brokerages houses and ask them.

5. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

According to Seeking Alpha's data, there have been three 2-for-1 stock splits since 31 May 1990:

Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 7.29.29 PM.png

So that means 26 shares back then would be 208 shares today. PLUS nearly 29 years of quarterly dividends, which you could calculate by hand (or use a spreadsheet) by entering historical dividend data found at Yahoo Finance. You'd of course, have to adjust the number of shares for the dividends after each stock split, but the entire exercise shouldn't take more than 15 to 30 minutes to pull it together.

EDITED TO SAY I FORGOT...

...that Abbott spun off Abbvie at the beginning of 2013 wherein ABT shareholders received one share of ABBV for every share of ABT. So your wife should also find 208 shares of ABBV associated with these certificates, as well as ABBV's dividends.

#5 Three Eyes, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    T0rm3nted likes this.