Poll: Are you an investor or a trader?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by emmett kelly, Jul 23, 2020.

?

Which are you?

1. Investor

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. Trader

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Both, but weighted more in trading

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Both, but weighted more in investing

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  5. Drop dead, Emmett

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Jean Folger looks like a delicious flavour crystal. Beautiful woman.

2. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

Investors are busy doing other things.

TomB16 and emmett kelly like this.
  3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems pretty accurate to me. The most active thread on this forum is the long-term investor thread. Not very many people here who actively talk about trading.

emmett kelly and TomB16 like this.
  4. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

being that you are a moderator and are required to read far more posts than i actually read i can't argue. there is probably empirical data to support both sides but i have no idea how it would be extracted.

5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

The connection between the LTI thread and long term investing may not be as direct as it is assumed. That thread has some talk of bitcoin and stock ownership of well under 5 years in duration. Neither of these things constitute investing, IMO. Because of this, my statistics are apart from those of other people. It's just a point of view.

That's not to say people who are holding small amounts of bitcoin aren't investors. I would fight to the death to support their right to identify as they wish.

I'm just saying, my view of investing is particularly narrow. Several of the folks who identify as investors would be investor/traders to me.

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Fair enough. If your criteria was strictly 5+ year investors, than yeah, there's more traders. Investments are commonly seen as 1+ year holds to the majority of people, so that is the baseline I went with for my comment. That's why I called myself investor that also trades as that's what I've become over the last 5 years. Mostly 1+ year holds, with some trading in the mix as well.

7. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

My view of investing is long term. I don't completely discount the idea that short term investing exists, there just aren't many examples.

Again, just my opinion but, investing is to seek out making money from a productive asset like a company or an economy. A productive asset will generate new wealth. Making money from share price fluctuations is trading because the mindset is to make money from someone else in the market, making it a zero sum game.

8. Aquaman

Aquaman New Member

I am an investor and I believe in long-term investing but ensure you understand the terms of investment before investing.
    I am Investing in 2 great companies: Arctic star TSXV: ADD and Lions bay TSXV: LBI. It feels good to invest right.