Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Changes Coming in 2019

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Hi everyone!

As we're nearing the close of 2018 soon, I thought it was a good time to get you all up to speed on some possible changes to come with the market polls and stock picking contests in the new year that you all should know about.

First, I've gotten some input from a few of you via private messages regarding the stock picking competitions (especially our "daily" format).

So, I realize there were some changes made here during mid-year with our daily stock picking deadlines and what not. Well, I'm here to collect some input from you guys once again on how we can improve the quality of these contests for everyone. If any of you have anything to offer as far as thoughts and ideas please do share them in here. I'd greatly appreciate that.

Additionally, I am strongly contemplating retiring the "quarterly" format (or at least the stock picks) in 2019. My question is, do we really need to conduct a quarterly format for stock picking? What do you guys think? I had always thought that was a little overdone personally, but that may just be me.

Meanwhile, getting back to the daily stock picking competitions, I am actually also possibly contemplating eliminating those in 2019 as well, however perhaps maybe just continue running the daily market direction polls instead. What do you all think about that idea? Would everyone be fine with this? I guess what I am asking here is, would you guys still be willing to participate if the daily challenge was just simply picking a daily market direction (up, down, flat) with no stock picking involved? Thoughts?

Our other formats (weekly and monthly) can probably remain the same. Although, admittedly I'm even wondering if we even need to continue conducting the monthly stock picks as well.

If it seems like my focus for 2019 is on market direction picking over stock picking, you're right. :p

However, I know our weekly format does really well on participation every week and I'd be willing to keep that going in 2019 over any of our other stock picking formats.

Anyway, just some food for thought for you guys as we head into 2019. :)

Please share your thoughts/ideas/input/etc. on these and any others you guys would like to add.

I would like us to be fully prepared for any changes in the new year so we're not going in and changing things up in the middle of the year!

Thanks everyone!

2. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt Well-Known Member

Well for my $0.02, I am primarily a day trader and making a daily call is seriously important to what I do. I learn a lot from the daily challenges and I would miss them if they were discontinued. However, I understand the amount of effort that it takes to run a daily competition and I would understand if you discontinued them. From a business point of view, I think it would be a mistake. I suspect that there are many multiples of people that visit those pages and never take the challenge, and discontinuing them would cost site traffic imo. Obviously the quarterly competition would be less important to me.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

Some of my money are for shorter term trading and some of my money are for long term investments, so I like pretty much all of the competitions in whatever time frames. However, I also understand the workload is getting very heavy for Cy with all of these contests, so I think we have to figure out a way to decrease his workload just a little bit.

The daily is also my favorite especially when we have higher volatility like we do right now :) If we continue to conduct daily contests like exactly we are doing right now, I guess for monthly and the quarterly contests, we could just eliminate stock picks and do the market direction only. Also maybe we can take a break or two during the year for the daily contests during the year in order to get Cy some rest and be recharged, I guess we will figure out when and how long the break will be during the year.

Just my 2 cents, I am fine with whatever would be the best for Cy and majority of you here on Stockaholics :)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

@Steven_Burt @stock1234

many thanks to the both of you for chiming in here, i greatly appreciate the input from you guys. :)

@ Steve - yeah i happen to agree with you there. i think there are a lot of lurkers on this forum who hit up this group section. in fact, i've noticed quite a bit of new arrivals that have registered to the site and joined the group as can be seen through this link here-

https://www.stockaholics.net/groups/cys-stockaholics-thread-archives.3/members?order=date

however, exactly as you alluded to they don't participate in the challenge.

@stock1234 - yeah the daily format is also my favorite format of our 5 that i run here, but as you guys mentioned, it takes some time and effort on my behalf to run that every single trading day.

still, even despite that, i like to try to keep it going.

i think taking some days off every now and then as @stock1234 has mentioned is a nice idea too. that may work.

as for the quarterly format, while i'm still up in the air on this one and only just proposing discontinuing those next year, i suppose we could still keep that going if you guys genuinely do enjoy taking part in them. i mean, the participation on our other formats haven't been doing too bad either.

hmm...decisions, decisions.

i will keep you guys posted here what i'll ultimately end up deciding.

i want to make sure that i do come up with a final decision on this before the start of the new year too.

stock1234 likes this.
  5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

one last thing before i head off for the zzz's here.

is there anything you guys think we could change on these contests for next year to improve the quality for everyone (particularly on our daily format?).

couple of examples off the top of my mind-
    • changing the deadline for getting picks and market direction posted? do we revert back to 9:30am eastern time? or is 4am eastern time fine?
    • using the prior day's closing price rather than the next day's opening for starting prices on picks?
    • bumping the daily flat vote from +/-0.15% back to +/-0.25% like we had in 2016?
    any others on your minds? please share them here. thanks again guys!

stock1234 likes this.
  6. stock1234

Just throwing out some potential ideas, maybe we can have some pre-planned day offs for the daily contests and so we could decrease the workload for Cy a little bit and everyone knows when to expect we will not have daily contests.

Maybe we can have dayoffs on:

1. Every first trading day of the week
    2. Every first trading day of the month

In that way we would still be making daily picks 4 days a week most of the time and it decreases the workload a little bit for Cy on Friday night/Saturday morning especially when a new quarter starts on first trading month of the day.

If you guys don’t like this idea then you guys can just ignore it :p

bigbear0083 likes this.
  7. snuffalchewy

snuffalchewy Member

Perhaps some other members could help and do the dailys on different days?

bigbear0083 likes this.
  8. Three Eyes

Three Eyes Well-Known Member

I'm happy with any contest you keep. I'll keep using this site whether there are contests or not. But, I don't trade/invest/follow markets full time or even every trading day. And, I've been here just under a year. So my opinion ought not count for much! :D

Maybe there's a more automated tool that could be used to run the contests where maybe everybody enters their picks directly into a spreadsheet or form. Like maybe use Google Forms to collect the data directly from contestants at the front-end, and have forms dump the data into your Google Sheets template?

https://goo.gl/forms/yvEy4CjZSXT0huy33

stock1234 and bigbear0083 like this.
  9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

^^ oh nice! thank you for sharing that @Three Eyes! i did not know you could do that. i'll definitely look into that. looks promising. :)

10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

well fellas, i got some good news to share with y'alls in here. i've decided that i will just go ahead and carry on with all of the contests in 2019. i went ahead and finally setup all of my 2019 spreadsheets yesterday, so we're essentially all systems go. ;)

i guess everything will just remain status quo in 2019 if you're all cool with that, unless anyone has any other ideas they'd like to share in here. anything from improving the contests, whether changing up the rules somewhere, or just making these easier to run, etc. i'm open to hear whatever you guys have.

i am also going to give @Three Eyes form idea a look later today as well and see if i can somehow make things a little more automated than they are. :p

snuffalchewy and stock1234 like this.
  11. stock1234

Great news :D Please don’t hesitate to take some day offs here and there though if needed though Cy, definitely don’t want you to feel burning out ;)

Yeah I think the suggestion by @Three Eyes could possibly make it a little easier for Cy, hope it will work out :)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just testing something out here...this is only meant to act as test! Not meant to be used for anything.

If one of you can just quickly take the time to fill out this Google Form here-

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...dj_kvEA8LO6-YEF1Bp_c_-ClQ/viewform?usp=pp_url

I have that form to automatically input responses into a Google Sheet.

I'm doing this via my back-up Google account btw.

I think there just might be a way to automatically input picks and market direction into my spreadsheets. Looks promising. :D

I'll play around with this some more when I get back from Thanksgiving vaca.

13. stock1234

I just submitted the form, let me know if it works :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Thanks @stock1234! I just checked it out and it looks like it worked exactly as I was thinking. :D

[​IMG]

Now I just gotta see if I can make it so it dumps this data into an existing Google Sheet. That would be a serious game changer! :D

stock1234 likes this.
  15. stock1234

Very nice :D Definitely could be a serious game changer, we could have a live spreadsheet available even if you are busy and don't have time to check the forum on the morning :cool:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

I think I've got it! :D

If you won't mind @stock1234 could you try filling out this form again?

I'm now doing this from my main Google account.

Here is the link to my newest form-

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...GEk9WkydRRPMQGG_ixGSOyUpg/viewform?usp=pp_url

Once you have completed filling out that form, then check this spreadsheet here-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F6Ena_GQ9JJqNyEdhEjSpJYCZMN-oZqkBxBSxbRRn2Y/edit?usp=sharing

This might still need some tinkering around iwth, but I think I've got the basics of how this could work.

Going to continue working on this to see if we can completely get this automated for 2019. :D

stock1234 likes this.
  17. stock1234

Done, looks like it works :cool:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Holy cow it did work just as I was envisioning it. :eek:

Credit to @Three Eyes here. This could very well be the new way we go about doing this in 2019 haha. Wow!

Thanks again @stock1234 !

Three Eyes and stock1234 like this.
  19. stock1234

No problem Cy :D Definitely very nice if it works out :cool:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  20. Three Eyes

Three Eyes Well-Known Member

Wow, great news! I'm sorry I wasn't around these past few days to help field test it!

bigbear0083 likes this.