Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Changes Coming in 2019

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

OK, well here we go... This is just a test here. Have no idea if this will actually work as I haven't tested any of this out, but let's give it a shot now while the market is still open.

First, here is the link to the auto sheet-

[​IMG] <-- click there to view!

And then here is where contestants will enter their pick (you'll notice that I added a field for "entering price" in the form...this will be where you'll enter the current price of your pick at the time you are submitting the form.

[​IMG] <-- click there to submit your daily pick!

I would likely need help from other members for sure to make sure all of the data is indeed accurate as it would be a little tedious if I were to manage this all by my lonesome.

Again this is only a test. Not using this format or anything.

2. Three Eyes

Three Eyes Well-Known Member

The form works and my entry showed up on the spreadsheet with the correct number.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

I will test the form later, have some work to deal with right now :D I like that we don't have to fill our user names out every time now :) Is it possible though to add something like "New participant please fill your user name here" on the form? I kinda don't want to discourage new people from joining just because their names aren't on the list :) Anyway, thanks a lot @bigbear0083 and @Three Eyes

bigbear0083 likes this.
  4. stock1234

I filled out the form, looks like it works :)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

That is a good idea. I think I can manage that. I'll see what I can do there. Good thinking!

Glad we are testing all of this stuff right now. We could be ready to make this official by 2019. :D

stock1234 likes this.
  6. stock1234

Haha I agree, it is good that we are very likely to iron everything out rest of the year and fully prepared to go in 2019 :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

OK, so I think I am almost ready to give this format a test run on our weekly contest format as well.

In addition, I think what I'm going to have everyone do from next week is just simply fill out the Google Form for picks, and not have anyone post them on the threads anymore.

That said, I'm still not too sure what I'm going to do about the market direction votes since I still have not figure out how to get the form to input everyone's votes under each person's name in my member's voting record spreadsheet. That one looks a little daunting of a task lol. I think it's possible, but I just haven't found a way to do it (yet). :p

Do I just have everyone posting their market direction vote on the thread? Or, do I just have everyone clicking in their vote on the poll and not posting it to the thread?

My only issue of having people click in their market direction vote on the poll and not posting it on the thread means that the threads will not get bumped, and I fear some people might not see the threads, thus not get a chance to participate on the contests because they didn't see the thread when viewing the latest content list. Does that makes sense?

Anyway, let me know what you guys think we should do about the market direction votes for right now.

Lastly, I am going to try to add another option in the "drop down menu" for usernames, so new people who don't see their names in the drop down can still participate.

Slowly but surely we are getting closer to nailing this thing down!

We'll continue to test run this right up through to the end of this year, and hope to have everything ready by the first trading day of 2019! :D

stock1234 likes this.
  8. Three Eyes

In the Form, if you add a drop-down selection of "UP" and "DOWN" and then record that to cell D3 in your spreadsheet (for example), you could then apply any number of IF statements in some other cell referring to D3 . For example, this IF statement:

=IF(D3="UP",sum((GOOGLEFINANCE(".INX")-(GOOGLEFINANCE(".INX","priceopen")))),sum((GOOGLEFINANCE(".INX","priceopen")-(GOOGLEFINANCE(".INX")))))

tests whether the contestant chose "UP" and then subtracts the current value of the market (.INX) from the opening value. If they chose "DOWN" the IF statement will default to subtracting the opening value of .INX from the current value. From there, you would simply be applying your normal formulas to determine percent up or down.

At least, in theory :)

EDIT:
    Although, now that I am rereading your statement, I'm wondering if I misunderstood. :confused:
    Is it perhaps not a problem of capturing the UP/DOWN info from the Form itself, but rather getting that info into a spreadsheet that is separate from the one you have Forms dump the data into?

#48 Three Eyes, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    bigbear0083 likes this.
  9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Yep, that's exactly it. :D

Like for example here, where I'm having trouble with is getting Google Forms to dump the data under each user's cell for the week.

So, like when the username Three Eyes submits the vote via the form it would dump the data right under his cell (AK50) for the week. or if was coming from bigbear0083, it would dump it right under my cell for the week, etc.

I have no idea how to get that to target each user's cell when dumping the data.

[​IMG]

I would also probably have to use a separate form for market direction votes since I'm using different sheets for picks and votes.

If I have some free time this weekend I'll hit up the Google Docs database and see what I can find.

For now though I think it's okay to just pull members votes via the poll at the top of each contest thread.

10. Three Eyes

That's a tough one, @bigbear0083 . I feel like I would have to build the database from the bottom up to figure out how to trace the data from where Google Forms dumps it, through to where you want cells in each tab to refer to the dumped data. I'm not aware of a way to split the data from Forms and send some of it to one place and other data to another place. It's more like the end-cells would need to have functions that searched the Forms database in the dump-targeted spreadsheet for the appropriate data to read into the cell.

If that makes any sense! :confused:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  11. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Haha. Thanks for looking into it for me @Three Eyes!

To be honest with you though, this one I actually don't mind to keep doing manually, as opposed to the picks one which can admittedly be a bit time consuming. I'm really glad to have that automated now! :D

But as far as the market direction voting goes, I think it's probably a good idea to keep that one status quo as we've had it, since it also gives a chance for the threads to get bumped.

Admittedly, I do kind of fear that if we made everything automated (including the market direction voting) that the threads would not get bumped to the top, and so it's very possible some people might miss seeing the threads, and thus wouldn't get their picks and votes in.

So, this actually works out wonderfully!

For this week, I'm having participants only post their market direction votes to the threads, and have made it optional for members to also post their picks to the thread (this is mostly for if someone wants to include some rationale for picks to get the extra points in the leaderboards). This is no longer going to be a requirement from this week.

I figured I might as well start getting into some kind of routine with the forms starting from this month, up until year end.

So far everything is looking super good, and we could very well be ready to go official for the start of the new year! Meaning, this would be our new fixture for submitting picks to the contests.

Many thanks again for all your help with this @Three Eyes! Honestly, I would have never known about this new format with the forms if you hadn't brought up in here. I really owe you a lot! :cool:

Three Eyes likes this.
  12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Finally got around to this.

I went ahead and added a new field to the forms for new users.

All they have to do is simply choose "New User" in the username drop down menu at the top, and then at the bottom they type in their Stockaholics username.

This would only be a one time deal. I would then add their username to the drop down menu so they don't have to go through this process again in the future. This should work well for the time being. ;)

[​IMG]

stock1234 and Three Eyes like this.
  13. Three Eyes

Amazing how quickly you've spun up these Forms to fit your Google Sheets set-up. Looks really good!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  14. stock1234

You are amazing Cy :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Thanks guys!

Looks like we are well on our way to making this our official method for stock picking for the competitions! :D

My hope is that by the end of this year all of our participants will be getting into the habit of using the forms as the way to submit their picks for the contests, so that when we start 2019 it won't be new for anyone anymore. Slowly we are getting there!

Steven_Burt and stock1234 like this.
  16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

OK, so while I am at it with the changes in here for 2019, I'll also post this to see if there is any interest at all from the community.

I was thinking of potentially bringing back the Weekly Mystery Chart T/A Challenge for next year.

The only downside to bringing these back I suppose would be that it would increase my workload on the forums just a bit more.

I thought it was a cool game though in the short few months that we had it running in here earlier in the year, and the participation wasn't too terrible either.

I was thinking though that if we did bring this back, maybe the format could be changed up just a bit.

Perhaps we could remove the "mystery" aspect of the charts, and just simply have people guessing the weekly direction of a chart, and adding rationale (optional).

And participants would take turns picking out a new chart every week.

I guess we could then call it the Stockaholics Weekly T/A Chart Challenge.

We can have the leaderboards setup again as well.

Thoughts?

Just trying to think up some new ideas to spice up the competitions on the forums as we head into the new year.

17. Three Eyes

I'm all for this cause I like the idea of seeing all the different views from the Stockaholics community of the same chart. Weekly or even monthly would be a good format.

18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hmm, just to expand on this idea a bit more, perhaps we can add more than 1 chart per week or month, whichever format we ultimately decide on.

I was thinking 2 or even 3 charts? or would that be too excessive for everyone?

I think it could be a really fun game for the community, and I could try running a leaderboard as well, where a user gets points for the correct direction and rationale for the week or month.

I agree @Three Eyes, I love seeing all the different thoughts & views from everyone who is looking at the same chart.

I think we can definitely do away with the "mystery" stuff (I didn't really like that too much to be honest lol), and we can just make it into one big T/A charting challenge. :D

Let me know what you think about that multiple chart idea though.

I could either do it on a weekly or monthly format. Only reason I say weekly is because it gives the community an added contest to play with during the week, and people don't have to wait too long for a new game. But, I realize this may bump up my workload on the forums. That is a bit of a dilemma for sure. :p

I'm willing to at last give it a test run during these last few weeks of the year to see if I can manage to run it.

If all is good, then we do it on a weekly format in 2019, if not then we maybe do it on a monthly basis. ;)

19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Actually, disregard that! This idea wouldn't work very well because I would have a poll setup for members to vote on the direction of a chart for the week, and if we had more than 1 chart, we'd need more than 1 poll setup on the thread which is not possible. Whoops! :p

We'll just keep it at 1 chart per week then, but I'm going to see if I can get a test thread up soon for next week. We can trial run it for a couple weeks until year end and see how it ultimately goes.