Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Changes Coming in 2019

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Going to be giving the new rationale field in the Google Form a test run for Wednesday's Daily Challenge.

I'll set them so their not "required" to fill out. Obviously, this is optional for participants. However, for those who do add rationale will get additional points in the leaderboards.

[​IMG]

I added the new column on the spreadsheet. Here is how it looks on the daily sheet. I didn't want to mess with my Google Sheet template setup too much, so I just added it at the end, you'll just need to simply scroll to the right to see it.

[​IMG]

Let me know you guys think!

Three Eyes likes this.
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just in case anyone missed it over this past weekend, I went ahead and setup a brand new thread for the watch list as the other thread pretty much ran its course, and anyway I thought we needed a fresh new thread for the new year to bring in a fresh new set of members watch lists. :)
    I hope we can get some good activity going on that thread for 2019.

Finally, this is likely going to be my final post to this thread, as I'll assume everyone is all good with the state of the Stockaholics competitions (as far as rules and such are concerned). There are only a handful of days left of 2018... Once we get into the new year, that'll be it. I won't be making any changes after that. So, if there's something you guys think needs changing and/or adding, speak now! :p

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just wanted to quickly bring to everyone's attention, as I'm sure some of y'all have already noticed today. I made a slight change in the spreadsheet this morning, and now made it easy to scroll to the right to view everyone's "rationale". What I did was just simply freeze the first couple of columns on the left so they don't fall off the page while you are scrolling to the right to view the rationale. So, now you can view everyone's rationale without having to scroll back to the left to see whose rationale belongs to who. ;)

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Heads up folks! I may be needing to make a quick change here for the stock picking competitions. We've had yet another daily stock picking snafu where 2 members ended up making the same exact plays in the spreadsheet via the Google form. I am now strongly contemplating making it a requirement for participants to also post up their stock picks on the threads to avoid this situation in the future, since I honestly have no way of knowing who picked what first.

https://www.stockaholics.net/thread...ment-poll-for-thursday-12-27.7566/#post-92191

Unfortunately, I don't have an awful lot of free time on hand between now to the end the year, so I may not be able to find a fix for this immediately.

I think it is possible, but it may require some code/formula work, but honestly I have no idea how it would be achieved to essentially block someone from entering the spreadsheet via the form if the same exact text (ticker & direction) already exists.

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

I'm going to un-sticky this thread very soon as I'll assume that we're all good to go for 2019?

Just one small change here that I forgot to post in this thread, but had mentioned it yesterday here.

I'm going to be using a new format for our contest update posts from the start of the new year. This will go for all of our contest formats.

I really need to cut down on the time it takes to update the contests (especially on the daily format). Taking daily screenshots and posting them on the threads each day really consumes a lot of my time. So, in an effort to cut down on the time I will no longer be posting up screenshots effective Jan. 2nd, 2019.

Here is a quick sample of an update post for the daily thread that I plan to use in 2019.

=============================================================================================================

Results from the last poll (12/27)
    Start: 2,467.70
    Finish: 2,488.83 (+0.86%)

Post your Vote and make sure to Vote in the poll as well!

Scores graded from Thursday 12/27:

Stockaholics WON with 6 of the 8 participants choosing UP! :cool: Congratulations to the 6 posters who picked UP in the polls!
    Daily market direction voting stats:
    • Longest active winning streak belongs to @Lico Inv with 4 straight correct daily market calls.
    • Best overall daily percentage leader belongs to @stock1234 at 63.41% daily voting accuracy in 2018.
    • Most correct picks in a row in 2018 belongs to @stock1234 with 10 correct picks from 4/5 to 4/18.
    • Most correct picks in a row ever belongs to @stock1234 with 16 correct picks in 2017.
    =============================================================================================================

Lico Inv and Three Eyes like this.
  6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Oh, and BTW as far as this one is concerned. I've decided to just keep this as "optional". Meaning, it's not a requirement to also post your picks on the threads, however that being said I do encourage everyone to also post their picks on the threads just to be safe in the event of duplicates in the spreadsheet via the Google form. I personally will be doing that in 2019. ;)

Three Eyes and emmett kelly like this.
  7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hah! Well, I wasn't even aware that I can post links into the Google Form until just now!

I always thought we needed to have direct link for the spreadsheet right into the Google Form, this way members aren't needing to go back and forth between the forums and the Google Form to check on the spreadsheet to make sure one isn't making a duplicate pick from another participant.

Now all of this can simply be in one place! :D

See below-

Now you will get the link for the day's spreadsheet right at the top of the form so you don't have to go back on the forums to get the link! I always thought that was a pain in the ass lol.

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  8. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

And the rules, too. Nice!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  9. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yeah I guess it is good idea that everyone will be required to post their picks in the thread as well ;)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just testing something out here with the forum. I'm attempting to see if it is possible to embed the Google Form right into a post here on Stockaholics using an iframe tag.

Let me know if you guys can actually see and access the Google form that should hopefully show up for you guys down below here?

[MOVED TO POST #100]

#90 bigbear0083, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  11. bigbear0083

Staff Member

And how about embedding the actual spreadsheet into a post?

This would be a big time game changer if this worked imo.

Let me know if you guys can see this too.

Three Eyes likes this.
  12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Basically, the goal of the above method would be so that everything can be accessed right from the forums here, so there's no needing to click on any button links to access either the form or the spreadsheet.

Really curious if I actually got it working. If someone can confirm that'd be greatly appreciated. :D

Three Eyes likes this.
  13. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Heh, well I guess you guys can say that I'm racing to get everything done here before the new year.

Here is another change that I just made on the forums this AM that I'm pretty proud of personally, since there was no add-on or instructions on how to do this. Figured it out all by my lonesome. :D

I've made the "competitions" tab at the top of the forums navigation bar into a drop down menu, with the direct thread links to the monthly, quarterly, and yearly contests, as well as direct thread links to the winners threads.

I can add more to this, but I didn't want to overwhelm the drop down with so many links lol.

I also left out the weekly and daily threads from the drop down since those would require constant edits. FWIW, these edits are literally being hardcoded into the forum templates, so there isn't some special module I'm using to add these in there. Kind of a pain in the rear, but it gets the job done. :p

Let me know what y'alls think!

I assume this is better than just having that competitions tab into 1 link that took you to the forum. Now y'all can get several links in the form of a drop down menu. ;)

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  14. Three Eyes

Regarding the Google form: yes, I can see it. But it is not interactive and it will not respond to mouse clicks (chrome browser on Chromebook OS).

Regarding the embedded Sheet: yes! I can see it fine, everybody's picks, and so on.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  15. Three Eyes

This is brilliant! I had stopped using the Competitions tab b/c I often still couldn't find a particular competition any faster than using the search box. Thanks!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Aw shucks! I was hoping that would be interactive. Lemme see if maybe I need to resize that down a bit helps any. I'll make the embedded window smaller, let me know if that does anything.

Sweet! Glad to hear that one is at least working! :D

Awesome!

Just a couple of more changes here. I just renamed that tab from Competitions to Contests. I also just added the daily thread link to the list of links in the drop down (I suppose I can do these on the weekends no problem. But it might be a little tedious to do them daily haha).

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Oh! And BTW I almost forgot to mention that I also just added another tab next to Contests called "Misc".

This might be getting a little carried away at this point lol. I just love me some drop downs with thread links in them haha. :p

Just trying it out though. If you guys don't like it I'll remove pronto it let me know!

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just went ahead and also added this link that was discussed here into the Misc drop down as well. ;)

Hope this is all working. :p

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  19. Three Eyes

So below is what I see now. When I click "Sign in" it opens the Form in a new window and I can fill it out like usual.

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 7.21.10 PM.png

bigbear0083 likes this.
  20. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Darn. So it still opens the form in a new window?

Hmm, I wonder though, once you're already "signed in" does it still need to open a new window?

I just created this form just for testing purposes only. I wonder if this one might work and keep you on the forums rather than opening a new window.

If not, then I'll just scrap this idea since it's basically the same thing as clicking on the button links.