Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Changes Coming in 2019

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Heh, well I guess you can say that I really went to town on that navigation bar with the drop down menus at the top. :p

I always thought we could use a forum navigation drop down for all of the individual boards, so that's precisely what I added as "Main".

I also renamed the "Main" tab as "Home" since that tab takes you to the Stockaholics homepage.

Also moved the "Contests" and "Misc" tab to the front a little so they get a bit more attention maybe? :p

Here's the new look. Hopefully this isn't too overwhelming for you guys?

Here's how the "Main" drop down tab with all of the individual board links looks. Let me know what y'alls think.

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Actually I had an idea about this! Perhaps what I can do here instead is just simply add all of the daily contest thread links for the week, rather than adding each thread in daily. So, I would just have the thread links for Monday thru Friday in the drop down. That may work out, and shouldn't be too tedious for me. I would just update them once a week. :p

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  3. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yes, for me it does. Actually, once I'm signed in, I can't even open a new window. If I don't fill out the form the first time, I can't "reset" it to open in a new window without logging out of Stockaholics and relogging back in, I guess to reset it. Again, this is on Chrome Browser in Chrome OS, so not a typical interface. Other's mileage may vary.

EDIT: Check that. I just tried it again, and I simply got off the thread and then clicked back into the thread, and the form reset without me logging out. But it does still open a separate window. Which isn't all bad, actually (IMO).

bigbear0083 likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Alright folks, this will be it for real this time...my final bump of this thread as we're on the last day of 2018 today. :p

I just wanted to also take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me test run all of the new stuff out for the competitions during the past several weeks as we gear up for 2019. It was really nice being able to take the last couple of week of this year to really test out everything!

Also want to thank @Three Eyes (yes, again and again, because he deserves it!) for the Google Forms idea. I honestly don't know how I've been running these competitions all of these years without them! Crazy!

So, I'll take it everyone is cool with the current rules, and setup for all of the competitions?

Let's get this show on the road shall we!

2019 here come. :D

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Oh and BTW, last thing before I unsticky this thread off the top of this sub.

Was everyone able to get the embedded spreadsheets working?

I know @Three Eyes confirmed for me that he got it working on another OS.

But, how about the rest of you guys?

I still haven't heard from anyone aside from @Three Eyes if it was indeed working.

I'll just assume that it is for now (I hope).

I think that will be a nice feature for us to have for next year IMO. ;)

6. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

It works on PC for sure. I will check if it works on my phone later on :)

7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hey fellas, I'm back to test out @ApexC's idea from the other month. I know we had already given this a test run by having participants manually inputting their entry prices into the Google Form, and that seemed to work fine, however, I thought that was a little tedious for me to keep track of everyone's entry prices to ensure that the data was absolutely accurate. Thus, I simply scratched the idea entirely and forgot about it.

Well...I'm back with this one for one final attempt, however this time I think I may have just found what I've been looking for all this time (or at least I hope! :p).

If you guys recall, I was looking for some kind of formula for my Google Sheet template that when someone would submit the Google Form, it would post the entry price for their pick automatically.

In other words -- once a form is submitted, you'd get the price of a stock at the time of submission and it would not change there after. I guess like a "static" price if you will. Using the Google Finance formula's I found that not to be possible, where I can just simply "freeze" the price upon entry and not have it change again. I have tried everything, but it still updates to current price with the Google Finance formula.

Well, I think I may have found a fix for this.

Instead of using the Google Finance formula to pull the price (since that auto updates) how about using some 3rd party data like iextrading to pull the price?

So a formula like this for example could work?

PHP:
    =IMPORTDATA("https://api.iextrading.com/1.0/stock/"&D3&"/price")
    That formula would pull the current price of a stock one time, but not auto update again like Google Finance does.

I guess we won't actually know for sure if this works or not until the markets are open. But, if I recall in the past when I last attempted to use that iextrading formula into Google Sheets, that seemed to keep prices static and not dynamic.

Anyway, I'll be testing this out for Monday seeing if it actually does the trick or not. I'm hoping it does. But, of course this could turn out to be one giant fail again lol. We won't know until markets is open.

Here is the spreadsheet and form we can use to test this out for Monday nevertheless.

[​IMG] <-- click there to view!

[​IMG] <-- click there to submit your daily pick!

The only issue I think we might have with this particular setup is that the spreadsheet will be looking a little distorted if you will.

Like, since we're conducting this on an "intraday" basis and the Google Form is open and live throughout the day, my spreadsheet isn't "finalized" like the other formats are. So, the formatting on the spreadsheet will look a little off if that makes any sense.

You guys will see what I mean when we come to test this out on Monday during live market action.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes.

If all fails, then I'll just scrap this idea for good and never bring it up again.

But, I definitely wanted to give this one a final test run with the new price formula in there to see if that might do the trick.

We shall see.

stock1234 likes this.