Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

*Report all GoogleFinance data feed issues here!*

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Hey everyone!

OK, so I thought a dedicated thread for all of the GoogleFinance data feed issues in the spreadsheets for the stock picking competitions here on Stockaholics was warranted due to the vast number of issues that had popped up with bad or incorrect data over this past week.

I figured I would create this new thread and just sticky it to the top of this group section, whilst also adding the link into the "Contests" tab on the navigation bar at the top here on the forums.

I think this was a pretty serious enough issue for us this week that this would require its own thread in here.

You guys know me, I'm pretty anal when it comes to accuracy in the data.

If the data ain't correct, I won't be satisfied and will definitely not sit idly by until the data is 100% restored back to normal.

I even go into great lengths into manually fixing the data by hand just to make sure everything is working properly with the spreadsheets, or I try to find a formula that would temporarily fix the issue, etc. I really hate it when there is either no data, or the data is totally inaccurate, like we saw this past week!

Fortunately, these things seem to be pretty infrequent for us. In fact, it's been a long while since I can remember experiencing this particular issue with erroneous data with Google Finance in the the spreadsheets.

Anyway, we can use this thread to alert everyone when/if there ever happens to be issues with the data.

I just want to make sure that the data is 100% accurate at all times in the spreadsheets.

If you guys find any bad data anywhere, please do drop a quick line in this thread!

Simply provide the ticker symbol, and the spreadsheet (or the thread) where you're seeing the incorrect price data, this way it gets my attention immediately so I can try to fix it manually at the very least.

I will need everyone's help here though to ensuring all the data on our contest spreadsheets are absolutely 100% accurate, since it would honestly be almost impossible for me to do it all solo.

Thanks everyone and I greatly appreciate all the help I can get! :)

2. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Well finally here on Saturday night all the tickers on my Google sheets look normal. I kinda wonder if Google had a database or feed disruption and they had to reboot/rebuild and it simply just took about 24 hours for the fixes to matriculate through the interwebs?

bigbear0083 likes this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Phew! Whelp, that's a huge sigh of relief! Haha.

Truthfully, I was fearing for the worst on Friday when this all went down.

I was starting to think that might just be the end of GF as we knew it.

One can never be too sure about these things. Unfortunately, Google has had a history of pulling stuff like this off without mentioning anything.

This might be the first time I can ever remember seeing such widespread erroneous data like that.

Usually in the past I've only had issues with historical price data.

Really glad to see things look to be all corrected now though!

I'll be honest though, my heart was skipping just a little on Friday fearing for the absolute worst case scenario. :p

Anyway, just going over a couple of my spreadsheets for the contests definitely looks like all is well again which is great to see.

Interestingly, it doesn't appear as if I need to redo any of my post updates on the threads from Friday night as I had originally thought. It looks like most of it is correct which helps me a lot since I wouldn't have had the time to do them again this weekend.

Three Eyes likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

How's the GF data feeds looking so far this week?

I have not done a thorough check myself, but I haven't seen any errors, at least on the spreadsheets for the contests as of yet which is good to see.

5. Three Eyes

All of the hundreds of tickers I routinely track are all accurate. It's a huge relief!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

seeing some data issues with regards to historical prices again...i'm showing no data past this Tuesday. can anyone confirm that they're also seeing the same thing on their end? thanks in advance!

7. Three Eyes

I have Monday and Tuesday data, but am not getting yesterday's (Wednesday 2/27) data.

Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 7.56.38 PM.png

bigbear0083 likes this.
  8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hmm, so I was having some issues pulling in historical data almost all week. Looks like Google Finance finally got around to add up to yesterday's data, but now we're not getting yesterday's data again.

Hopefully this isn't something more serious. Probably not, but kind of a pain in the ass, especially when it comes to running the contest spreadsheets here that largely uses the Google Finance historical price formula to pull in the data.

9. rStock

rStock Well-Known Member

CY, only daily contest works fine, the others don’t...

Thanks

10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Ugh, I had a bad feeling this would happen one day...

Yeah, you can point you finger at Google Finance here.

They are missing prices from yesterday.

Just to confirm here, can either @Three Eyes or @anotherdevilsadvocate or anyone who uses the historical Google Finances price formulas in Google Sheets also confirm for me that they don't have prices for yesterday (4/1/2019)?

I'm afraid until this gets corrected, we're pretty much in the dark here... :confused:

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Ive seen these little hiccups resolve in 10-12hrs most times.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Damn I hope so!

I'm always afraid of these hiccups, because of what happened to Yahoo Finance a few years ago.

I never know if this is just a temporary hiccup and it gets resolved in a matter of a few hours, or a few days at most, or if it is permanent.

Google Finance has had a long history of pulling things off without letting the public know.

Like one time in 2016 I think it was, a similar issue occurred where the historical price function returned a #REF (meaning it was dead) and did not get corrected until like a month or so later!

I'm sure this'll probably get corrected at some point, but man these can be a pain in the ass sometimes, since I rely so heavily on Google Finance for live and historical price data in our contest spreadsheets. :p

13. Three Eyes

I agree...I cannot retrieve 4/1/2019 prices. :(

14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Man, well that really sucks a big one. :confused:

Kind of surprised they have not added in this month's historical prices yet.

This is admittedly a little bit worrisome.

Let's see if it gets added either today or tomorrow.

But if not, whoa we could be in a little bit of trouble with the competitions here....

15. rStock

rStock Well-Known Member

Working now ...

16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Phew! Well that's a huge sigh of relief! :D

I was beginning to get worried if we were going to go weeks or months with this issue.