Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Resumption of the Stockaholics Competitions in 2021

Discussion in 'Cy's Market Insights and Other Musings' started by bigbear0083, Dec 28, 2020.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Hiya guys!

It's been a super long while since I have posted anything contest related in here.

I just wanted to quickly bring everyone up to speed on the very latest regarding the competitions here going forward into the new year and beyond.

Just in case any of you missed my post from the other week, be sure to start reading from here:
    https://www.stockaholics.net/threads/the-official-stockaholics-discord-server.2327/#post-138863 <-- click there!

^^ That post there explains pretty much everything you need to know in a nutshell with regards to the competitions going forward.

Due to my limited time on nowadays, I'm having to move the competitions over to our Discord live chat server in the new year.

Full details on how to go about participating in 2021 starts from that post I direct linked above.

Hoping to make a smooth transition over to the Discord server, and hoping all of our past participants will be able to make it.

I'll put this bit in here as well, but I am having to permanently retire every single contest format (daily, weekly, monthly quarterly, yearly) except for the monthlies for the stock picking contest, and the weeklies for the market direction polls. As well as no leaderboards or record keeping of members stock picks. This is to ensure that the competitions will be run flawlessly in the new year, and won't put much of any burden on my shoulders, as running all of those different formats over the past few years here was admittedly a bit too overwhelming and even quite stressful for me at times to be honest.

Having only the monthly stock picking contest and the weekly market direction poll running, whist having them mostly run automated via bots on the Discord chat server will be incredibly easier for me, and much less time consuming! :p

Looking forward to resuming these in the new year! Hope to see y'all's there. :)

stock1234 likes this.
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just posting this in here as I don't feel it's entirely necessary to start a new thread for this.

But, for those wondering how the final results of the 2020 stock picking competition ended, here it is:

Congrats to @Stoch, our 2020 yearly stock picking contest winner! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hey all,

I'm just trying my hand at something entirely new and different for us at the community here.

So, I'm not really sure how many of you guys in here have ever participated in the MarketWatch game? It's actually nothing new or anything, it's been around for ages as far as I can remember. However, I've admittedly been contemplating starting one up for us here on the forums for ages now, but I just never actually carried out on it. That all changed this weekend though lol. I finally went ahead and created a game for us to run here. Figured I'd try it out and see how it goes this year. :p

(Click Here to Join!)

(NOTE: This requires you to have a MarketWatch account login to join the challenge -- but no worries it's completely free and should only take y'all's a few minutes at most to sign up).

Once you guys have joined up, go ahead and post your MarketWatch name in this thread so I know for sure y'all's are logged in and joined up.

The challenge officially begins at the start of trading this Monday (Jan. 4th). However, I have it set up so that anyone can still join even after that start date.

We'll run this all the way through to the end of the year (Dec. 31st).

I haven't decided on what the prizes for this challenge will bet yet. But, there will be some prizes awarded to the winner of this challenge. Stay tuned for that!

So anyway, without getting into further ado here, let's get this show on the road!

Have fun. :D

Oh and also, if you guys should have any questions about any of this stuff, feel free to ask in this thread and I'll try to make my best effor to answer them all.

Lastly, FWIW, this game will also be connected to our Official Discord Live Chat Server as well in case anyone was wondering.

In fact, we're using the Discord channel #marketwatch_game in the server for daily commentary and updates. Feel free to join us!

Have a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2021 everyone! :thumbsup:

5. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

The Marketwatch game allows options?

6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hey Marcy, I was wondering about that very thing as well, and sadly I found out that MW does not allow for options trading.

That being said, you gave me an idea here.

I think I might try my hand at running the Investopedia Simulator as well, which does allow for options.

Much like the Marketwatch game, you'll need to register a user account on Investopedia (free).

See if you guys can access this link here:
    https://www.investopedia.com/simulator/portfolio/?gameid=558116

Or this link here:
    https://www.investopedia.com/accoun...558116&AUTO=Y&RegLink=Simulator_Invite_Public

And also this one if the above 2 didn't work:
    https://www.investopedia.com/simula...x?type=Search&item=Rstockmarket&sc=1&scur=USD

Let me know if you guys were able to join via any one of those links ^^

I got some feedback from the Reddit and the Discord live chat communities about the investopedia sim, and I'm thinking I may run the portfolio challenge there as well since it seems a bit better managed, etc.

Will still plan to run the MW game as well.

7. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Im in:thumbsup::popcorn:

sounds fun! Thanks for this!

8. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

My market friend that doesnt frequent this forum and his old man are joining the competition too. :thumbsup:

9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Awesome! Tis great to see you participating Brian. :D

Oh and BTW guys, I know this has been mentioned already a number of times in here, but I'll mention it again for any newcomers joining the competition. Both the marketwatch game and the investopedia simulator will be a yearly challenge, meaning it runs throughout the entire year. And there's no deadline to join, meaning anyone can join at any time during the year. Unlike the monthly stock picking contests which only allows for picks up until the morning of the first trading day of a new month. Anyway, just throwing this in here in case anyone was ever interested to participate in these even after this week.

Here are the links again for anyone looking around for them.

2021 MarketWatch Game:
    https://www.marketwatch.com/game/official-rstockmarket-marketwatch-game-2021 <-- click there!

2021 Investopedia Sim:
    https://www.investopedia.com/simulator/portfolio/?gameid=558116 <-- click there!

Have fun and GLTA this year!

B Russ likes this.
  10. anotherdevilsadvocate

I'm in the Marketwatch game, will join the Investopedia one as well (eventually).
    Is there a bug in the rankings for the MW game?

Not enough Active Players
    Game rankings are enabled when there are 2 or more players with portfolio holdings.

Looks like there are 36 players, and I just bought a couple stocks.
    Name is "Another Advocate"
    Just giving it time to work itself out hopefully.

B Russ likes this.
  11. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

I saw the same. I was really intrigued by that feature. But i can tell u myself, and one other are in too. I saw a screenshot of his account. So that makes 3 confirmed active.

i figured maybe a 24 hr cycle for game start/new yr update. But i guess its been more now.

12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hey Marcy, ya I was wondering about that very thing as well. However, upon checking it again just now it seems to have corrected itself (or at least it has for me anyway), how about for you guys?

Could you try by clicking this link here? <- that's the "rankings" page on the Marketwatch game.

Here's a quick SS for proof:

Let me know if you guys got that working on your end as well.

[​IMG]

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  13. anotherdevilsadvocate

I see it now.
    I guess the game board just needed time to update.

14. anotherdevilsadvocate

Joining this investopedia sim is a bit bumpy.
    Looks like another one I need to wait.

15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

oh. i haven't even made any trades on either yet lol. admittedly was a little overwhelmed with IRL stuff this week. but, i should be good to go from monday. :D

i was thinking of making either weekly or bi-weekly updates to both games in this thread. i'll be doing them on the discord chat as well. let me know if you guys would like to see the updates to the user standings posted in here every week, every other week, or monthly.

16. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

You do so much. Idk how you keep up with the updates. I am loving the marketwatch game. Its easy and seamless. Its like real money brokerage and i can see competitors pholios. Options would be awesome, but we cant have it all, eh?
    I admit, i havent even looked into the other one.

idk that i personally have the time or energy for two games especially if the second is more hands on. At any rate, i am enjoying marketwatch competition a lot. And scott queen in my real life friend. Since i just edged on him today, i like it a little more:lauging::banana:

17. bigbear0083

Staff Member