Short put option

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Alex1234, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Alex1234

Alex1234 New Member

Hi,

I'm selling a put option contract on TQQQ with a strike price of $80 on December 18th, because I would buy at that price.

Assuming I have $9k in my account, selling this put contract would automatically reserve $8k, leaving me with $1k to start new positions (at least this is what's happening in my Saxo account).

From what I read, if TQQQ reaches $80, I could be assigned a long position of 100 TQQQ units, which I'm ok with, but I've also read the margin utilisation formula used by Saxo (https://www.help.saxo/hc/en-us/arti...-margin-utilisation-and-how-is-it-calculated-) and it states that:

Margin utilisation = ((Maintenance margin reserved) / (Account Value - Not available as margin collateral)) * 100

Maintenance margin reserved = $8000
    Account value = $9000 (at start)

So, initially Margin utilization = 8000/9000

What I'm now seeing is that the account value is also taking into account the options value, and those options are at negative values. This means that before TQQQ reaches the strike price of $80 my margin utilisation will be above 100% and Saxo will close these options, despite the fact that I have enough cash to buy TQQQ at $80.

Is my reasoning correct? If so, why is this? I believed that selling short put options was a good approach if I was comfortable with holding the underlying asset, and it appears that the put option will be closed before that happens.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Alex