Short ratio vs. % of float

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Jacal1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Jacal1

Jacal1 New Member

I'm just making sure I have this correct, let me know, thanks!

Short ratio: Good for predicting how severe a squeeze may be, but not always informative about overall investor sentiment because it is affected by trading volume.

Short % of float: May be minimally helpful in predicting a squeeze, but mostly a good predictor of investor sentiment.

So if I just want to know how investors are tending to think about a stock, and I have both numbers, I should pay much more attention to % of float.

2. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yep I think you are right. The short ratio is affected by volume because it is the number of days it would take to cover all short positions based on some average volume. So yeah, it is hard to get a feeling for that number. Therefore % short seems more intuitive.

Stockaholic and Jacal1 like this.
  3. Jacal1

Jacal1 New Member

Thanks! I was 99% sure, but so many people seem to rely solely on Short Ratio that I started to question myself...

4. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Over the years I've heard people who are long crappy stocks with high short interest try to justify their position by believing there will be a short covering rally coming very soon. In my opinion there are certainly better stocks to long on out of the thousands available. In my experience, the short ratio or short interest is more important when looking to go short. Generally I don't want to short when a stock has high short interest as the trade is just too crowded. The exception would be when short interest gets up to say 20% or more. For those, the big professional shorts are probably involved and most likely they will be proven correct.

#4 Onepoint272, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  5. Mark22

Mark22 Member

you're right, I've listened to many... they want to cover the sun with a finger