Spreadsheet Tips/Help

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Jrich, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Been quite a few years since ive messed with a spreadsheet, I use to know my way around one pretty well... little rusty now, and a few things have changed it seems

for one, since when did you have to pay for a subscription to excel??... sacrilege!... apparently mine "expired" today

So what program do yall use??... I just set up Google sheets, but I don't like how I cant do anything without internet connection, when my kid gets on his Xbox it slows my connection down, which can get annoying

couple other questions... on excel I had problems formatting a formula of a formula, if you know what I mean.... like, in my profit/loss column, it wouldn't give me a SUM of the whole column, it would just display "0"..... I know theres a way to do this

also, how do you import live data??.... basically just need a cell with the current share price, so I don't have to update it manually every day..... no clue how to do this

thanks in advance!

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

1. Assuming your kid is still in school, you can get a "students discount" on excel
    2. For getting the sum of a column, type "=SUM(" without the quotes, and then just highlight the cells that you want to sum - it will fill the formula in with your selection. Then just hit enter and it will close the parenthesis for you and give you the sum in that cell.
    3. I don't even know if you can import share prices in excel anymore. You used to be able to with yahoo finance or MSN money, but it no longer works. Quite the pain in the ass.
    4. I don't know what kind of internet you have that you can't use something as "low bandwidth" as Google sheets while your kid is on Xbox. May want to call your ISP and see if something is wrong with your internet.

BermudianOption and Jrich like this.
  3. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I am able to use (design, tinker, etc) Google Sheets offline, but I use a Chromebook laptop and an Android phone. I wonder if the same option for viewing/editing Sheets is available on Windows and Apple OS, perhaps thru a downloaded Google app?

Getting live data on Google Sheets is easy-peasy, and doesn't need much bandwidth. I'm dependent on cellular hotspots for data, and as I move around a lot (every 1-2 weeks) I often find myself in areas with low-to-non-existent cell signals. Even when I cannot load a webpage (like Stockaholics!) on a weak 2G signal, I can usually pull in my live Google stock data on Sheets.

BermudianOption likes this.
  4. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Google Sheets all the way for me. :)

@T0rm3nted hit on in exactly. There used to be a way to import the live prices into Excel and Google Sheets, but Yahoo discontinued this function last summer I believe it was.

Like this was this formula that I was using to pull the live Yahoo Finance prices...but as mentioned above this function was removed. =/

Best to just go with Google Sheets imho. But, I realize you say it's slow to load for you due to your internet bandwidth or whatever. Honestly though, and @T0rm3nted alluded to this too, Google Sheets uses up very low bandwidth, I'm really not sure how that would be laggy for you.

But anyways if you do decide to go with Google Sheets, here is the complete list of all the GF functions you can use with Google Sheets:
    https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en

That said, I have heard some rumors swirling around that GF may go the same route of YF and effectively discontinue all of their finance functions at some point in the future. :rolleyes:

Not sure how true that rumor is but I've noticed some features quietly being removed from GF over the past few months so who really knows...

Jrich likes this.
  5. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies!

ill get back on Google Sheets and try all that out

idk whats up with our internet... it just randomly stops working for a few minutes multiple times throughout the day, and seems to do it more often when the Xbox is going (stops working on the Xbox too)...... we live out in the country, so probably just crappy connection

6. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

alright!... I got it goin on now!

even figured out the conditional formatting... actually some red in there now, got so use to seeing green that I forgot what red looks like

thanks for all the help!!!

Stockaholic likes this.
  7. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Back in the 90s and even the 00s Yahoo was the go-to source for financial data. Unbelievable how they squandered so many opportunities.

Stockaholic likes this.