Sticking trading higher then...

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Ray Knight, May 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ray Knight

Ray Knight New Member

ok. I put a order in to sell at .0195. The price is currently at .02. Why hasn't my trade been triggered yet?

2. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

Most penny stocks are thinly traded - thus most come with a rather large bid/ask spread.

Just because the price is @ .02 doesn't mean that is actually where it is trading. It might have hit .02 earlier today, but then the bid/ask might now be below your .0195.

The other thing is if you submitted a stop vs limit order, but my guess is that the stock is thinly traded and the bid/ask moved since you placed your order.

3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

I agree with AverageJoe it is most likely a liquidity problem. Kind of wierd in that just seconds ago I was talking about this issue in the live chat about this very thing. One should be aware of the average volume on a stock before trading it. If it is less then 200,000 shares a day be wary. If you see a bid/ask of more than a penny in "most" stocks then you might have issues getting in or out at your price. Quickest way out on low volume stocks is to send in a "Market" order and be ready to sell at the bid.

4. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Good explanations already... I'll just add to it

Technically, there is never a "current price".... When you look at your screen and see $0.02, that only means the last trade was made at $0.02.... But it doesn't mean the next trade will be

As AverageJoe said, the bid/ask spread is a better place to look.... If you're selling, you should be watching the bid price.... If you're buying, watch the ask

5. Ray Knight

Ray Knight New Member

Thank you all