Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Stockaholics 2017 Daily Stock Pick Tournament Challenge

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics 2017 Daily Stock Pick Challenge Tournament***
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics Daily Stock Picking Challenge Tournament)

[​IMG]

So as promised the other day, here we will be test running the new daily challenge tournament idea for next week.

NOTE: This particular tournament is simply meant to act as a test, and will not count toward anything. I just wanted to get a feel for how this will work for us for when/if we do decide to officially go live with this, perhaps by as early as next month.

Here is how this tournament basically works-

Using our daily challenge members leaderboard
    this one here-
    [​IMG]

we will be taking the top 8 participants for the current month from the leaderboard and putting them into a bracket
    here-
    [​IMG]

where there lowest seeding participant will be matching up against the the highest seeding participant in the 1st round.

Each round will consist of up to 5 trading days (so in other words 5 days worth of picks). However, it will be a done on a best of 5 series, so the participant who wins the first 3 daily challenges over their opponent wins that round and advances to the next round. Originally I was thinking of just simply using the total ROI of the members picks during the 5 days stretch, but I think using daily wins to decide the winners will be used in this exercise.

NOTE: Should a member fail to participate on any given day for whatever reasons, we will simply carry over their pick from the previous day to the next day.

The rules for this tournament will be done up exactly the same as our daily stock picking challenge rules, for the exception that you are not allowed to pick leveraged ETF's.

Important - Please read carefully: IF YOUR PICKS ARE OUT OF COMPLIANCE AFTER THE START OF THE TOURNAMENT, YOUR POSITION WILL BE FORFEITED.

*When you make your picks, please make sure there are empty spaces around them, so they come up in the thread search.

Correct: AAPL - Long (Blank space after AAPL)
    Incorrect: AAPL- Long (No space after AAPL)
    • Pick ONE stock/ETF, either long, short, that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange.
    • You cannot duplicate someone's exact play. For example, if someone picks AAPL - Long, you can only pick AAPL - Short as long as it is not taken yet. Use the "Search This Thread" link as it only takes a few seconds to see if the ticker has been mentioned.
    • The stock/ETF must close at $2 minimum the day before the challenge. No Indexes or pinks/OTCBB.
    • Once you pick something, that is it, it is yours unless it is not a valid pick. This way someone doesn't pick a stock that others want, then at the last second change it. Please do not edit your posts with your pick. If you need to change your pick and/or the direction, just use two separate posts instead of editing your first.
    • You are NOT allowed to pick a leveraged ETF. (These are the 2x/3x ETF's)
    • Optional - You may post a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for your pick, but it is not required.
    • You may choose to close out your pick at any time during the trading day. Please post your own closing price. We will be using the closing price of the 1 minute intraday chart with the time stamp of your post here on Stockaholics to get your official intraday closing prices!
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if anyone sees someone else messing up, please correct them. Also, please look at your positions after I post the spreadsheets. I try to catch mistakes, in and out of my control, but need your help in making sure the information is accurate.

Remember...the tournament starts at the opening bell on Monday, March 13th!

GLTA.

Click the button below to view the Daily Stock Pick Challenge Tournament bracket-
    [​IMG]

#1 bigbear0083, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Each individual series spreadsheets have now been setup. You can access them by clicking on each respective user vs. user button below.

[​IMG] <-- click there to open!

We will be using 1 thread for the duration of this test tournament.

You are simply posting your pick and direction (long or short) for each day as you normally do on the daily challenge threads here on this thread.

So, right now you can post up your pick and direction for Monday's challenge that will kick off the tournament at the market open on Monday morning.

If you guys have any comments or questions about anything here pertaining to this new tournament idea please chime in here! This thread will be used for all discussions regarding the tournament.

GLTA.

@Dre4
    @T0rm3nted
    @Jrich
    @homosapienfromterra
    @Wolfy
    @Ken34
    @anotherdevilsadvocate
    @stock1234

T0rm3nted likes this.
  3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

5. Ken34

Ken34 Well-Known Member

so we just continue to post our picks like normal in the daily thread correct? and your pulling from that thread for this spreadsheet correct?

6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

actually no. this tournament will be running completely independent from the normal daily challenge thread. so the picks that you make in here on this tournament thread will be different (or they could be the same if you choose to have the same picks, that's up to you guys) than from the normal daily picks thread. hope that made sense haha. if not let me know!

Ken34 likes this.
  7. Ken34

Ken34 Well-Known Member

gdx - long

8. homosapienfromterra

homosapienfromterra Active Member

9. homosapienfromterra

homosapienfromterra Active Member

10. Dre4

Dre4 Member

You too!

AMD long

11. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

12. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

13. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

VRX long

14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

OK, so it looks like we're just about ready to give this baby a test run this week! :D

Just waiting on @T0rm3nted now but JUST IN CASE he's not able to get to this in time (tomorrow's open) I'll act as the emergency fill in vs. @Dre4.

I'll put in nvda - long for tomorrow, but really hoping @T0rm3nted will be able to make it!

15. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Each individual series spreadsheets are now live! You can access them by clicking on each respective member vs. member buttons below. Ignore the current opening prices as those will update to this morning's opening prices after 9:30am eastern time.

Good luck to our 8 participants of our first ever test run of the Stockaholics daily stock picking challenge tournament today! :D

@Dre4
    @T0rm3nted
    @Jrich
    @homosapienfromterra
    @Wolfy
    @Ken34
    @anotherdevilsadvocate
    @stock1234

Remember this is a best of 5 series match up so the first member to get 3 daily victories over their opponent will advance to the next round.

Here is the link to the overall daily challenge tournament bracket if anyone is ever looking around for that link.

Click the button below to view the Daily Stock Pick Challenge Tournament bracket-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be back to update this after today's close, and to get everyone's picks for Tuesday as well. Have fun all. :)

17. Ken34

Ken34 Well-Known Member

i thought u said we cant use x3 levered etfs? when did u change it back?

18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

haha good observation yep you're right i did originally post that we weren't going to allow 3x leveraged etfs for this tournament, but then i saw @anotherdevilsadvocate proceed by posting one up and i didn't want to have him re-pick again as i was afraid he'd not get around to posting up another pick in time for today's open, so i just went ahead and changed it back to allowing it.

that being said, since this week's bracket tournament is simply being used as a trial run there will likely be some changing around here and there as we test things out to see what works and what doesn't, so nothing that we see right now will be our final setup for the tournament so to speak for when we do decide to count this for real in the future.

but that said, i do like the idea of not allow 3x leveraged etfs for this tournament. however, for now i'm just going to allow the 2 members who did go 3x etf for today. but, honestly only because i didn't want to have the trouble of those users of re-picking again in case they couldn't get around to it in time.

anyway sorry for that late change and w/o letting you guys know! my bad lol ... i guess we'll just continue allowing it for this trial run only.

19. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

It is just a trail run so not a big deal. I guess it is a good idea not to allow 3X ETF when we begin to start for real though ;)

20. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. No 3x levered for tournament?

But daily/weekly/monthly is OK?