Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Stockaholics Daily Stock Picking Challenge & SPX Sentiment Poll for Thursday (1/10)

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

How do you see the SPX closing on Thursday (1/10)?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Up.

50.0%
  2. Flat. (+/-0.15% or less)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Down.

50.0%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

oh snap, and speaking of the daily market direction voting, i just noticed @Three Eyes clicked in his market direction vote on the poll at the top last night, but i guess he forgot to post his vote on the thread here.

hoping he see's this so i can add his vote to the voting record spreadsheet for today.

[​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

^^ i think i am going to play around with the google forms a bit, and see if i can add another field for members market direction votes as well, since i see this has become a recurring theme here of late, where members click in their market direction vote on the poll at the top, but sometimes fail to "post" it on the thread.

i believe it will be possible to get members votes showing up on the stock picking contest spreadsheet template, but not on my members voting record spreadsheet, as that will require some serious code work, never mind the fact that i really don't have the time to code that up anyway! :p

the main reasons why i have everyone needing to post their market direction votes on the threads is because of 3 things...

1) it gives these threads a bump to the top so people don't miss seeing the thread.

2) i can give out karma credit (aka, "likes" here on stockaholics) at the end of each market day to all the winning calls.

3) it's just a lot easier for me to add members votes to my members voting record spreadsheet when i see the votes "posted" on the thread, as opposed to clicking the votes on the poll at the top to see them, since i'm manually adding all the votes in on my spreadsheet.

but, perhaps what i can do is also add another column in the stock pick spreadsheet where it has members market direction votes as well.

not really sure if that will do much of anything though to be honest...

truthfully, it's a heck of a lot easier for me if members just simply post their market direction votes on the threads.

3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Good luck Cy ;) Looking good for you as of now :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Haha, looks like this one could honestly go either way today.

We find out in 2 hours! :D

stock1234 likes this.
  5. rStock

rStock Well-Known Member

Yes just add one more column in spreadsheet

6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

^^ well i can try to do that, but i'm still going to make it a requirement for participant to "post" votes on the thread in order to be added to the members voting record spreadsheet since there is currently no way for votes to be automatically added to that spreadsheet w/o some code work being done which i unfortunately do not have much time to look into.

7. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Well, funny thing. I DID post it. (I just forgot to actually press the "Post Reply" button...I probably hit "return" and then left it at that. When I came into this thread, there was my draft post, still waiting to be finalized!) Thanks for the reminder @bigbear0083 !:)

Market - DOWN

#27 Three Eyes, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    bigbear0083 likes this.
  8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Alright, so I'm just going to be testing this out for Friday's daily comp only (for now). This may not actually be such a bad idea now that I think of it.

So, on the Google Form I just added this field that I've highlighted in the red box below.

One for market direction (required) and one for rationale (optional).

[​IMG]

Then, on the actual daily picking spreadsheet is the new columns where you'll see the votes when you scroll to the right. It will look something like this.

[​IMG]

I guess this isn't such a bad idea since it would actually encourage people to post a "rationale" for their market direction calls as well.

That said, I really don't know if this is going to be our new official form for the contests as of yet.

Perhaps if I got some more feedback from you guys.

What do y'all think?

That being all said, I still do want to make it a "requirement" for members to post their market direction votes on the threads, due to the 3 reasons that I had listed on post #22 of this thread.

stock1234 likes this.
  9. stock1234

Guess it is a good idea, but it would also feel a little weird that if there is no reply in the thread being posted since people no longer need to post the direction and the picks after filling the form :p

bigbear0083 likes this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Bingo! Exactly this to a tee. :)

I'd really want everyone to use the threads to post their votes so it gets these threads bumped to the top every time there is a new reply.

If no replies in the thread, then it's very possible that participation will die off since no one will see these threads as they wouldn't get bumped to the top.

I'll only test this out for tomorrow's comp, but I'm kind of against the whole idea to be honest.

Three Eyes and stock1234 like this.
  11. stock1234

I agree. I think it would help participation if the thread is being bumped to the top after replying.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  12. stock1234

Speaking of participation I think the contests are doing pretty well lately, I don't have the exact number on my mind but seems like we are getting at least 6 to 7 participants everyday now. Very encouraging :cool:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  13. bigbear0083

Staff Member

^^ Indeed! I think we're doing about 2 or 3 participants better than last year's average which is really good to see!

I'm not sure if the new Google Forms format is helping or what. But, I've noticed we've been seeing some new participants joining up already in the new year which is really cool. :D

stock1234 likes this.
  14. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Ha ha, I kind of got pulled in by helping to field test the Google Forms. The dailies are kind of addicting, even for us non-day traders. ;)

bigbear0083 likes this.