Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest for the Week of (1/2-1/6)

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 aka Cy McCaffrey
    Staff Member

Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest for the Week of (1/2-1/6)
    (Read this first post for the Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest)

[​IMG]

Congrats to @penny_wise the Stockaholics Weekly Contest Winner for the Week of (12/26-12/30)!

*Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest Thread for the Week of (12/26-12/30)*

On to the next! The Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest for the Week of (1/2-1/6) starts at the opening bell on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017.

Important - Please read carefully: IF ONE OR MORE OF YOUR PICKS ARE OUT OF COMPLIANCE AFTER THE START OF THE CONTEST, YOUR POSITION WILL BE FORFEITED.

*When you make your picks, please make sure there are empty spaces around them, so they come up in the thread search.

Correct: AAPL - Long (Blank space after AAPL)
    Incorrect: AAPL- Long (No space after AAPL)
    • Pick TWO stocks, either long, short, that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange.
    • You cannot duplicate someone's exact play (either of them). For example, if someone picks AAPL - Long, you can only pick AAPL - Short as long as it is not taken yet. Use the "Search This Thread" link as it only takes a few seconds to see if the ticker has been mentioned.
    • Get your picks in BEFORE the opening bell on Tuesday, January 3rd. I will provide all the opening prices as I have the spreadsheet set to auto look up the opens.
    • The stock/ETF must close at $2 minimum the day before the contest. No Indexes or pinks/OTCBB.
    • You are only allowed 1 leveraged ETF. If you choose two, the second of the two does not count and is still up for grabs. If incorrect picks go un-noticed, you risk your position being forfeited. (These are the 2x/3x ETF's)
    • Once you pick something, that is it, it is yours unless it is not a valid pick. This way someone doesn't pick a stock that others want, then at the last second change it. Please do not edit your posts with your picks. If you pick one at a time, just use two separate posts instead of editing your first.
    • Optional - You may post a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for your picks, but it is not required.
    Once again, it is your responsibility to check that your pick is not a duplicate. The "Search This Thread" link I mentioned makes this as simple as it can be. If you choose to not check and should you duplicate someone's pick, it will not count.

You can close out one or both of your picks at anytime by posting the fact that you want to close it on the thread. If you state you want to close a position during regular trading hours (before the closing bell), you will get that day's closing price. If you decide to close a position after the trading day is finished (after the closing bell), you will get the next day's opening price. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN CLOSING/OPENING PRICES!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if anyone sees someone else messing up, please correct them. Also, please look at your positions after I post the spreadsheets. I try to catch mistakes, in and out of my control, but need your help in making sure the information is accurate.

Remember...the contest starts at the opening bell on Tuesday, January 3rd!

GLTA.

Click the button below to view this week's contest spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the complete 2017 weekly contest winners-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the complete 2017 weekly contest winners spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

#1 bigbear0083, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Congratulations to this week's contest winner and 1st time winner of the weekly stock contest in 2016 -- @penny_wise !! Nice picks in here this week penny_wise! :cool:

Also some worthy mentions go out to our 2nd place winner -- @anotherdevilsadvocate and 3rd place winner -- @stock1234 !

Here was this week's final contest results:
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the complete weekly contest winners & their winning picks in 2016-
    [​IMG]

3. Ken34

Ken34 Active Member

labu - long
    jpm - long

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

BTW, just a quick heads up in here to all of our regular participants of these weekly stock picking challenges at Stockaholics, I just wanted to quickly remind you all to not forget to post up your picks on our newly created 2017 Yearly, and Quarterly Stock Picking Challenge threads!
    And of course we have our usual monthly challenge thread right here as well-
    Hope you can all get a chance to submit your picks on each of those threads before Tuesday's market open! I think the yearly challenge could be a lot of fun. This will be the first time in this community's history that we'll be running the challenge on a yearly, and quarterly basis. Catch you guys in 2017! HNY everyone. :)

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

bac - long
    chk - long

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

AWK - short
    MTCH - short

7. Dre4

Dre4 Member

SONC short
    RY long

8. Giorgio23

Giorgio23 New Member

FB Short

NVDA Short

9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hey everyone, just a quick idea for you all here ... but what do you all think of this idea of allowing participants to close out picks at any time during the trading day? As you guys all know we have been using the default challenge rules here since our days on HSM, which has forever stated that if you want to close out one or both of your picks you need to state that you're closing it out either during the RTH (aka, "Regular Trading Hours" which is the cash market hours from 9:30am to 4pm) or during the ETH (aka, "Extended Trading Hours" which is when the cash markets are closed from 4pm to 9:30am) and you would either get the next day's opening prices (if it was that you decided to close out during the ETH) or you'd get the closing price of that day (if it was that you decided to close out during the RTH)

Well, what I was just thinking of doing for 2017 here is to change that up just slightly to make these challenges feel a bit more realistic for you guys.

So, I was simply thinking of allowing everyone the choice to close out one or both of their picks at any time during the intraday trading of the week.

Think of it kind of like our daily challenge that we also have going here where you're allowed to close out at any time during the day, and you simply post your closing price of that time.

So, the same rules would simply apply here for the weekly challenge, as well as the monthly, and quarterly challenge.

Only, the yearly challenge is a hold for the entire year.

Thoughts guys? Good idea? Or do we just stick with tradition and keep the same rules as its always been here since inception.

The reason I am bringing this up in here is because someone on the r/StockMarket subreddit suggested this idea to me, and I am actually going to start implementing that idea for the challenges there now.

Anyway, let me know what you all think!

Thanks for any feedback fellas. :)

10. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

GLD - Long
    GILD - Long

11. Andre

Andre Member

CENX - long
    NUGT - long

12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

13. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Midweek contest update:

@Andre is our current leader as of market close 1/4! :)

[​IMG]