Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest & SPX Sentiment Poll (12/4-12/8)

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

How do you see the SPX closing for the week of (12/4-12/8)?

Poll closed Dec 4, 2017.
  1. Up.

66.7%
  2. Flat. (+/-0.50% or less)

33.3%
  3. Down.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest for the Week of (12/4-12/8)
    (Read this first post for the Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest)

[​IMG]

Congrats to @anotherdevilsadvocate the Stockaholics Weekly Contest Winner for the Week of (11/27-12/1)!

*Link to Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest Thread for the Week of (11/27-12/1)*

On to the next! The Stockaholics Weekly Stock Picking Contest for the Week of (12/4-12/8) starts at the opening bell on Monday, December 4th, 2017.

Important - Please read carefully: IF ONE OR MORE OF YOUR PICKS ARE OUT OF COMPLIANCE AFTER THE START OF THE CONTEST, YOUR POSITION WILL BE FORFEITED.

*When you make your picks, please make sure there are empty spaces around them, so they come up in the thread search.

Correct: AAPL - Long (Blank space after AAPL)
    Incorrect: AAPL- Long (No space after AAPL)
    • Pick TWO stocks, either long, short, that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange.
    • You cannot duplicate someone's exact play! For example- If someone picks AAPL - Long and BAC - Long first then you can only pick AAPL - Short and BAC - Long or AAPL - Long and BAC - Short <-- you may only duplicate 1 pick but not BOTH! Use the "Search This Thread" link as it only takes a few seconds to see if the ticker has been mentioned.
    • Get your picks in BEFORE the opening bell on Monday, December 4th. I will provide all the opening prices as I have the spreadsheet set to auto look up the opens.
    • The stock/ETF must close at $2 minimum the day before the contest. No Indexes or pinks/OTCBB.
    • You are only allowed 1 leveraged ETF. If you choose two, the second of the two does not count and is still up for grabs. If incorrect picks go un-noticed, you risk your position being forfeited. (These are the 2x/3x ETF's)
    • Once you pick something, that is it, it is yours unless it is not a valid pick. This way someone doesn't pick a stock that others want, then at the last second change it. Please do not edit your posts with your picks. If you pick one at a time, just use two separate posts instead of editing your first.
    • Optional - You may post a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for your picks, but it is not required.
    • You may choose to close out your pick at any time during the trading day. Please post your own closing price(s). We will be using the closing price of the 1 minute intraday chart with the time stamp of your post here on Stockaholics to get your official intraday closing prices!
    If you choose to close out one or both of your picks after the trading day is finished (after the closing bell), you will get the next day's opening price. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN OPENING PRICES!

Once again, it is your responsibility to check that your pick is not a duplicate. The "Search This Thread" link I mentioned makes this as simple as it can be. If you choose to not check and should you duplicate someone's pick, it will not count.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if anyone sees someone else messing up, please correct them. Also, please look at your positions after I post the spreadsheets. I try to catch mistakes, in and out of my control, but need your help in making sure the information is accurate.

Remember...the contest starts at the opening bell on Monday, December 4th!

GLTA.

Click the button below to view this week's contest spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the Stockaholics 2017 weekly contest winners-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the Stockaholics 2017 weekly contest winners spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2017 Stockaholics stock picking contest members leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2017 weekly stock picking contest members records-
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a poll for the week of 12/4-12/8, 2017
    Expires Monday at the opening bell on: 12/4/17
    Don't forget to click the "Vote Now" button! ;)

How does Stockaholics think the S&P500 will close the week?

[​IMG]

Starting point:
    [​IMG]

**Starting point will be edited into this post after Friday close**
    *Link to Previous Weekly Poll Thread*
    Don't forget to post your vote to be listed in the 2017

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2017 Poll Member Voting Record Leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Results from the last poll (11/27-12/1)
    2,642.22 +1.53%

Stockaholics Voted
    [​IMG]

Stockaholics wins the weekly poll tally for this week! Credit goes to the UP votes! :cool:

Post your Vote!
    [​IMG]

Notes/Guidelines:
    1) For purpose of the spreadsheet record flat is currently based on +/-0.50% or less. Of course, everyone can define flat any way they choose.
    2) Up, Flat, or Down must be clearly specified in a post in order to be listed in the spreadsheet, otherwise it'll be assumed that post was not intended to be a part of the official record.
    3) Because of the poll expiration at Sunday midnight GMT time zone, (Sunday 4pm PST / 7pm EST) I manually close the poll around 9pm - midnight in PST, or before I go to bed. You may notice the poll says to expire on Monday, but it does not. It will expire on Sunday the date that is in this post.4 pm PST / 7pm EST is just a bit too early and I want to give as much possible time for everyone to get a chance to vote.
    4) You may notice that some members have monthly and quarterly statistics in the spreadsheet. I add these based on at the start of the month or quarter taking into account past consistent voter-ship.
    5) It's OK to post your vote if you missed the deadline after the poll has expired and if the market has not really moved that much or especially if your late vote is opposite or flat of the S&P futures ATM. It will be up to my discretion and obviously, the more active voters will be given more leeway.
    6) Starting and ending points based on official close of the market Friday.
    7) The primary goal of this game is to track our performance. You can consider it a contest or as a personal critiquing tool to better ones performance

#1 bigbear0083, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. BermudianOption

Long - F
    Long - FSLR

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Congratulations to this week's contest winner and 6th time winner of the weekly stock contest in 2017 (3rd time winner in Q4!) -- @anotherdevilsadvocate! :cool:

Some worthy mentions also go out to our 2nd place winner -- @Ken34 and 3rd place winner -- @Andre!

Here was this week's final contest results:
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the complete weekly contest winners & their winning picks in 2017 thus far-
    [​IMG]

And here is the weekly contest members leaderboard as of week ending 12.1.17-
    @anotherdevilsadvocate is our current leader with 58 points this quarter! :cool:
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2017 Stockaholics stock picking challenge leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

And finally, we have the complete weekly stock picking challenge members history which includes every pick from our active participants this year.

Click the button below to view the 2017 weekly stock picking contest members records-
    [​IMG]

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Post #1 Updated!
    Scores Graded!

Click the button below to view the full 2017 Stockaholics Poll Member Voting Record-
    [​IMG]

*Link to Previous Weekly Poll Thread*

Stockaholics wins the weekly poll tally for this week! Credit goes to the UP votes! :cool:

Special shout out goes out to our 3 posted UP voters for this week!-

@anotherdevilsadvocate
    @stock1234
    @Andre

A very special commendation goes out to our current weekly poll consecutive leader with 3 in a row!-

@Andre

[​IMG]

Nice work Andre! :cool:

And lastly a special commendation goes out to our current overall weekly poll percentage leader for the year with an 55.56% voting accuracy thus far in 2017-

@stock1234

Nice work!

Here is a look at the weekly poll members voting record leaderboard as of week ending 12.1.17-
    @bigbear0083 is still our current leader with 57 points this quarter! :cool:
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the complete 2017 Poll Member Voting Record Leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Whelp, that is a wrap from me this week ... and I hope you all have an awesome weekend ahead! Have fun and be safe! Cheers y'alls! :cool:

...and please do not forget to click in your vote on the poll & post your vote before the opening bell on Monday!!!

5. Ken34

Ken34 Well-Known Member

LABU - long
    MU - long

voting market up

6. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

Think i got somthin worth pickin this week

CNC short

BAC long

Taxes down, market up;)

7. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Market FLAT

DG - long
    MTN - short

8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

market flat

avgo - long
    lulu - long

9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is this week's contest spreadsheet in case I'm unable to get around to it later tomorrow-
    [​IMG] <-- click there to view!

NOTE: *Ignore the current "opening prices" as those will automatically correct to tomorrow's opening prices after 9:30am eastern time.*

Good luck to all of our participants in here for this week! :cool:

@BermudianOption
    @Ken34
    @Jrich
    @anotherdevilsadvocate
    @bigbear0083

NOTE: I am just posting up this week's spreadsheet a little earlier than usual in here as I have a pretty busy day ahead of me for tomorrow. I will continue adding members picks up until the 9:30am eastern time opening bell tomorrow morning so don't think you are excluded from this week's contest if I haven't listed your name up right now. I just wanted to get this spreadsheet posted in here and out of the way so I don't have to worry about getting it up at a later time tomorrow. ;)

10. stock1234

stock1234 Well-Known Member

Market Up

URI - Long
    SQ - Short

11. Andre

Andre Member

Market UP

CX - long
    JNUG - long

12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Midweek SPX update-

START: 2,642.22
    CURRENT: 2,629.27 (-0.49%)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midweek weekly contest update:

Shout out to our current leader -- @anotherdevilsadvocate!

[​IMG]

13. BermudianOption

Got my first win! I see the stat tracking has enhanced a lot since I first started participating in the competitions. Going to spread the word and get more people to participate. Great work @bigbear0083 !

14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

@BermudianOption

congrats! and thank you so much for that bermudian, you absolutely rock! i really greatly appreciate your participation on these competitions. i seriously cannot say this enough but it really is so good to have you back on the forums regularly again ever since our big refresh from HSM.

that will be really awesome if we can get more participation on these threads going into 2018 since it seems the participation has completely fallen off a cliff since this past summer (that is partly my fault though). but, i'm still trying to remain optimistic about getting back to our levels of participation that we had going pre-summer of this year for next year.

i've been trying to send out weekly e-mails to all of our participants to keep everyone informed of the new threads, but unfortunately that hasn't really done much to keep people coming back to the forums and participating. it's been rather disappointing and discouraging to be honest.

i don't know if it's because of the holiday season or what, perhaps people are just really busy with things as we're approaching the holidays. not sure, but again i'm still trying to keep optimistic for the new year.

really hoping to get our usual cast of members coming back (and new faces as well) on here in 2018. i have quite the lineup planned for these competitions for next year. but, will really need to see some better #'s on participation to keep this going. we'll see how it goes.

anyway, i greatly appreciate your post in here bermudian!

hopefully 2018 will bring about much better consistency of participation from our members. :)